Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 04:08 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,838 Likes on 2,866 Posts
Default Buy Porsche Macan Or Cayenne??

I'm long time Porsche owner with no experience with the Macan or Cayenne
My cousin in NYC wants to buy a Macan or Cayenne

Can you guys chime in - He uses SUV for carting his wife/baby up to his country house about an hour north several times a week
Thx!
Old 10-16-2018, 05:03 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 857 Likes on 526 Posts

Just one baby? Still rear facing car seat I presume? Will they be having more babies before this one can switch to front facing? The Macan can pretty much only accommodate one large rear facing car seat in the middle of the back bench. Smaller rear facers should fit so long as driver and passenger are under 6' tall. Two front facers will fit just fine.

The Cayenne will give a lot more backseat room as it's a true SUV and drives like one. The Macan is a lifted hot hatch and drives like one.

Or go for a Panamera Sport Turismo. Super long wheel base with plenty of rear seat room and rear cargo room.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:47 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,445 Likes on 4,107 Posts

If they're constantly moving themselves and stuff to and from the Country house, the Cayenne holds quite a bit more. Is your friend dead-set on a newer car or OK with older models. The sweet spot in the Cayenne lineup (IMO) is the 957, which is why I specifically sought out that series when buying mine a couple years ago, preferably a GTS, Turbo, or Turbo S and preferably 2009 / 2010 for the slightly better touchscreen PCM and the different engine honing process. I say 957 because many of the issues of the first generation 955 were addressed and the shape of the rear hatch is more upright, so there is a good bit of more usable cargo space back there vs the 2011 and newer Cayennes with the more sharply raked rear window.

The Macan drives almost like a sports car with a lift kit. The Cayenne drives like a medium sized SUV, but with the right engine choice and PDCC (Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control) will surprise even the die-hard sports car guys, like myself. Like all my cars, I had to make some changes to my Cayenne, but absolutely love it.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:53 AM
Jon H
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 86 Posts

Had a 2013 Cayenne for almost 6 years, recently bought a Macan - wife's DD.

Cayenne has a lot more rear seat / leg room and rear storage.

With one child Macan is fine, as stated above, if more than one it will be way too small.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:05 PM
manouk
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Have a 14 ctt and 18 Macan gts. 2 kids are fine in Macan even baby seats as long as front facing. Much more rear seat room in cayenne and cargo room as well . As mentioned Macan drives more sporty but cayenne feels better quality to me at least. If had to choose between both ctt is the keeper.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:29 PM
dabiesaur
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cayenne will be good if you have more than one kid as you will appreciate the extra space.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:14 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,804 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Cayenne wins on space (though still not big enough for many of my needs, hence the F150 supercrew turbo).

Macan wins on value, "sports-car feel", and PDK transmission (though they finally added PDK to the Cayenne for 2019).

If the Macan is big enough, or if neither the Macan or Cayenne are big enough and one has something else even larger, I'd vote Macan.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:24 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
...(though they finally added PDK to the Cayenne for 2019).
Incorrect. The new gen 2019 Cayenne retains the 8-speed Tiptronic. This is necessary for the Cayenne to achieve it’s 7700 pound towing payload rating.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:11 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,804 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Incorrect. The new gen 2019 Cayenne retains the 8-speed Tiptronic. This is necessary for the Cayenne to achieve it’s 7700 pound towing payload rating.

Bummer... Macan it is then.

The 7,700 pound tow rating for a a Cayenne is a novelty factor. Except for perhaps a very few outliers, anyone towing that much regularly isn't doing it with a Cayenne even if they own one. Would have been better off dumping the tiptronic, dropping the tow rating, and putting in the dual clutch PDK.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:04 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Cayenne obviously. It's all new with all the new techs and etc.
Macan has old stuff.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:56 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

By far the jewels of the Porsche 4-door vehicles, in my opinion and the opinions of many others, are their new-generation E-Hybrids. The E-Hybrids are better than any ICE-only 4-door vehicle that Porsche makes -- more versatile, more fun to drive, real glimpses of the electric future.
I myself am debating between a 2019 Macan and a 2019 Cayenne E-Hybrid. The only Cayenne (and the only Panamera) that I'd consider from now on is the E-Hybrid version (I own a Pan 4 E-Hybrid ST, and it's out-of-this-world fabulous -- way better than my old Panamera ICE-only car, which I loved also). The only reason I'm looking at the 2019 Macan (which has the great new computer screen of the Cayenne and Panamera, among other new revisions) is that it's more nimble and smaller (for my tastes) than the Cayenne, but the lack of E-Hybrid in Macan is a serious fault, in my book. Going to be a tough call for me... If Macan had an E-Hybrid form, that's what I'd get, for sure.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:26 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
By far the jewels of the Porsche 4-door vehicles, in my opinion and the opinions of many others, are their new-generation E-Hybrids. The E-Hybrids are better than any ICE-only 4-door vehicle that Porsche makes -- more versatile, more fun to drive, real glimpses of the electric future.
I myself am debating between a 2019 Macan and a 2019 Cayenne E-Hybrid. The only Cayenne (and the only Panamera) that I'd consider from now on is the E-Hybrid version (I own a Pan 4 E-Hybrid ST, and it's out-of-this-world fabulous -- way better than my old Panamera ICE-only car, which I loved also). The only reason I'm looking at the 2019 Macan (which has the great new computer screen of the Cayenne and Panamera, among other new revisions) is that it's more nimble and smaller (for my tastes) than the Cayenne, but the lack of E-Hybrid in Macan is a serious fault, in my book. Going to be a tough call for me... If Macan had an E-Hybrid form, that's what I'd get, for sure.
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you're a fan of E-Hybrids.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:12 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Bummer... Macan it is then.

The 7,700 pound tow rating for a a Cayenne is a novelty factor. Except for perhaps a very few outliers, anyone towing that much regularly isn't doing it with a Cayenne even if they own one. Would have been better off dumping the tiptronic, dropping the tow rating, and putting in the dual clutch PDK.
No. This is the way to arrive in style
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2018, 09:36 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,445 Likes on 4,107 Posts

Umm, not really. The Cayenne tows superbly and many Cayenne owners tow with theirs regularly, especially the earlier 955 and 957 versions with the offroad transfer case, locking differentials, and air leveling suspension.

and check out this video starting at 1:23. What did Airstream select as the tow vehicle in their promotional video to demonstrate how well an Airstream trailer tows - yup, Cayenne Turbo.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:27 AM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

^ definitely wouldn't catch me pulling the Bobcat setup or the ATC enclosed with an M4 inside of it with a Cayenne - would agree with others in that just because the tow rating is 7700lbs or so, doesn't mean it should be pulling that safely.

Thats a pretty short wheel base to be pulling that kind of stuff regularly, on the occasion - sure shouldn't be a problem for a short trip. If towing regularly Id say get a proper tow vehicle, otherwise for the OP - dont think your going to go wrong with either!

Quick Reply: Buy Porsche Macan Or Cayenne??