Macan 2014-Current

Buy Porsche Macan Or Cayenne??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 12:14 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 252 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by dabiesaur
Cayenne will be good if you have more than one kid as you will appreciate the extra space.
Very true.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:24 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,804 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
^ definitely wouldn't catch me pulling the Bobcat setup or the ATC enclosed with an M4 inside of it with a Cayenne - would agree with others in that just because the tow rating is 7700lbs or so, doesn't mean it should be pulling that safely.
Exactly...

Yeah, I get that it has an ~8K tow rating.
And i get that it looks cool pulling into the racetrack towing your Porsche racecar with a Cayenne.

But a pickup just works SO much better for this kind of application that almost everyone who tows regularly goes that route.

And yes, i had a 2004 Touareg V8i with air leveling, locking cases, etc. and did occasionally use it to tow lighter loads. But no freaking way was I picking up bobcats at the rental yard with it. Had an F350 back then, F150 Ecoboost now. Both are enormously better tow vehicles not to mention have the extra space that is needed for other cargo when going to the track, going camping, going to the mountain house, going to a construction site, etc...
The following users liked this post:
Carguy1234 (Yesterday)
Old 11-27-2018, 12:18 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Definitely do a car seat fit test before purchase if you are going to be using a rear-facing car seat.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:43 PM
nal13
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 43 Posts

We just bought a 2018 macan as my wife's daily. It comfortably fits two car seats, although it is slightly more cramped then the X5 that we got rid of. The trunk is small by SUV standards. The Macan drives like a sports sedan and is more nimble and sporty then the Cayenne. However I would recommend the Cayenne. For a family hauler, the Macan is just to compact. We fortunately have Tahoe which is fantastic for lugging the family from point A to B.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:46 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I had a cayenne early when they were first released and hated it.

I have a Macan GTS now and freakin' LOVE IT!

Drives like a sports sedan, super comfy, insanely good in snow, bike rack and back seat...all the SUV you need and yet drives incredibly well.

Steering and all controls and brakes feel very 911.

Yes you feel the weight on cornering but it's massively better than any other SUV I've ever driven.

Really, the Macan is superb
Old 11-30-2018, 04:00 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
I had a cayenne early when they were first released and hated it.

I have a Macan GTS now and freakin' LOVE IT!

Drives like a sports sedan, super comfy, insanely good in snow, bike rack and back seat...all the SUV you need and yet drives incredibly well.

Steering and all controls and brakes feel very 911.

Yes you feel the weight on cornering but it's massively better than any other SUV I've ever driven.

Really, the Macan is superb
I second that. Coming from two Cayenne Turbos to a Macan GTS, I agree wholeheartedly. The overall dynamics of the Macan (GTS in particular) are just incredible, especially for an SUV.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:02 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,445 Likes on 4,107 Posts

We downsized to our 957 Cayenne Turbo for family vacation hauler duty from an Infiniti QX56 (this was the big one before the renaming and numbering happened a couple years ago). The Cayenne is the perfect size for a vacation car for our family of 2 adults and 2 teenagers. For shorter trips with less stuff, the rear cargo area is sufficient - for longer trips or those with more stuff, we load up the Yakima Skybox (beach gear, golf clubs, ski gear, etc).

If we had one more kid, or a pet, it would be too small and you'd have to go bigger (Infiniti, Escalade, Navigator, etc).

I think the Macan makes a perfect DD (in fact I want to get my wife one, but she won't give up her 997), but it's too small for longer trips or family vacations; for that you need the Cayenne or larger, depending on your family size.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:36 PM
Seanlabonte
Platinum Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I'm long time Porsche owner with no experience with the Macan or Cayenne
My cousin in NYC wants to buy a Macan or Cayenne

Can you guys chime in - He uses SUV for carting his wife/baby up to his country house about an hour north several times a week
Thx!
I am in a similar situation and needing to upgrade to an SUV with a 3rd baby on the way

Being that I work at a Porsche Audi dealership we have been kicking around the many choice's we are surrounded with. I used to own a Q5 (2016) and that has left a bad taste with us because the suv was not "sporty" and the suspension was too soft. With a toddler and a baby at the time it was not big enough to store a stroller and the toddler's essentials at the same time when traveling, which meant packing the back seat around the kids like a gypsy caravan. The newer Q5 is a vast improvement as far as handling and power but size-wise is still lacking, we are still thinking about possibly going with a SQ5 as the upgraded looks and power would be a compromise to the size, especially now since my kids are older 9 and 7. With all 3 of them being boys we can travel light.

Macan also being a choice for us (S or GTS) makes as much sense as the SQ5 but interior room is that much smaller (for a family of 5). If we only had one kid it would be more than adequate considering the stroller would go in the back and we would still have room their as well as around the back seat of the vehicle (gypsy stuffing lighlty)

Cayenne and Q7 being the next step up - Q7 having a 3rd row is great to have but with 3 boys the electric folding seats are way to tempting for them to be used as pneumatic fun slides when no one is watching. Which means they will lay in the folded-up position 99% of the time we own it which is a bit of a waste but gives us a ton of room to store strollers, groceries, BMX bikes, etc... Q7 is a bit intimidating for my wife though, she was able to drive a friend of hers Q7 for a while and it was not confidence building for her. Granted she is coming out of a A3 which handles the road like a loose roller skate and with both arms extended out to your sides you can reach both door handles no problem (still manages to hit curbs... )

Cayenne seems to make the most sense for us, not wanting a huge SUV but still having enough room to seat 5 comfortable and have enough storage space in the rear for a stroller and other items without having to stuff everything in there. Price range is decent and comes with all the options we would ever need and styling wise it looks amazing. Sportiness and handling is a huge upgrade with the base 2019 feeling more like previous years Cayenne S model and better choices in wheels and interior colors is a plus.

Just my two cents based on my experiences.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:59 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 491 Posts

I am considering both vehicles as well. Rear seat leg room in the Macan is a problem for kids between forward car seat age and age when kids legs will almost touch the floor. Why? Kids knees must reach the edge of the seat cushion so their feet drop to the floor. Otherwise, their legs are forced forward into the rear of the front seat back, unless the driver is up against the steering wheel. I have short kids (11, 9) and my 11 year old can finally fit behind the drivers seat (barely). My son would have to fit behind the passenger. The Cayenne is a better fit for our kids.

ive driven the 2019 Cayenne (base) and a 2018 Macan S. Macan, definitely more fun to drive but a bit stiff on our rougher roads. I think I’d want to try one with air suspension before buying. The Cayenne base was a wonderful drive compared to the 2019 X5, but feels a bit light on power at slower speeds. I’d want to drive an S before making a choice.

Finally, the new Macan will arrive by spring, so I’d skip the current version. I’m betting the ride quality of the new Macan S will have an improved ride if the new Cayenne is any guide as to the direction Porsche is taking with its suv’s.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:57 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
I am considering both vehicles as well. Rear seat leg room in the Macan is a problem for kids between forward car seat age and age when kids legs will almost touch the floor. Why? Kids knees must reach the edge of the seat cushion so their feet drop to the floor. Otherwise, their legs are forced forward into the rear of the front seat back, unless the driver is up against the steering wheel. I have short kids (11, 9) and my 11 year old can finally fit behind the drivers seat (barely). My son would have to fit behind the passenger. The Cayenne is a better fit for our kids.

ive driven the 2019 Cayenne (base) and a 2018 Macan S. Macan, definitely more fun to drive but a bit stiff on our rougher roads. I think I’d want to try one with air suspension before buying. The Cayenne base was a wonderful drive compared to the 2019 X5, but feels a bit light on power at slower speeds. I’d want to drive an S before making a choice.

Finally, the new Macan will arrive by spring, so I’d skip the current version. I’m betting the ride quality of the new Macan S will have an improved ride if the new Cayenne is any guide as to the direction Porsche is taking with its suv’s.
Isn't the new Macan more of a refresh, with the primary updates being the interior (dash and center stack) and engines to match the new Audi-sourced line up? i.e. wouldn't ride quality be more or less the same since it's the same platform?
Old 12-06-2018, 08:33 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Isn't the new Macan more of a refresh, with the primary updates being the interior (dash and center stack) and engines to match the new Audi-sourced line up? i.e. wouldn't ride quality be more or less the same since it's the same platform?
What he drove was without AS. That would make a huge difference no matter what the year Macan.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:52 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by wwahl
What he drove was without AS. That would make a huge difference no matter what the year Macan.
Wasn't and wouldn't question that. I was questioning the parallel he seemed to be drawing between the changes in the Cayenne, which is entirely new, and those in the Macan, which is not.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:00 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Wasn't and wouldn't question that. I was questioning the parallel he seemed to be drawing between the changes in the Cayenne, which is entirely new, and those in the Macan, which is not.
Agreed, the 2019 Macan is a refresh with some updated tech + design elements but the same platform. While there may be tweaks I don't think anyone should expect it to drive substantially different than the 2018 and earlier models assuming a like for like spec.

Quick Reply: Buy Porsche Macan Or Cayenne??