Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Macan turbo-lag... any after-market fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:34 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,562 Likes on 4,173 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub
I have a 2018 Macan S which had exremely low miles on it when I bought (it was a loaner for about 2 hours before I bought it). As such I was able to get the 6 year unlimited mileage CPO warranty. Will these Tuner upgrades void that warranty?
Yup. While under warranty you don't really want to do anything that could give them a reason to decline a warranty repair. A tune that changes fuel trims or timing could certainly be viewed as such if you have an engine issue.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:27 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 885 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Ponchobroke
I see tuning options for S, GTS, and Turbo but nothing for base???
Is the market not there or is it due to the overall power train?
Base 2.0T is an Audi/VW engine that APR just released their tune for. APR has been in the Audi/VW game for a long time compared to Cobb. As much as I love Cobb's AP and will go with them for my GTS since they have the developmental experience on the turbo 6 cylinders, I'd personally go with APR for the Base.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:30 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
Base 2.0T is an Audi/VW engine that APR just released their tune for. APR has been in the Audi/VW game for a long time compared to Cobb. As much as I love Cobb's AP and will go with them for my GTS since they have the developmental experience on the turbo 6 cylinders, I'd personally go with APR for the Base.
I wonder if the existing APR tune for base Macan will be ok for the 2019 version, which nobody in US has yet...

My dealership says that they install APR tunes for Macans, but that if anything happens that affects Porsche warranty (like blown turbo) in a tuned car, it probably has to be serviced at the tuning dealership to have the warranty honored by APR (if Porsche refuses to honor the warranty because of the tune).

Does anybody have experience with Porsche warranty issues due to tunes like APR?

Old 04-10-2019, 08:19 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I wonder if the existing APR tune for base Macan will be ok for the 2019 version, which nobody in US has yet...

My dealership says that they install APR tunes for Macans, but that if anything happens that affects Porsche warranty (like blown turbo) in a tuned car, it probably has to be serviced at the tuning dealership to have the warranty honored by APR (if Porsche refuses to honor the warranty because of the tune).

Does anybody have experience with Porsche warranty issues due to tunes like APR?

It looks as though you already received the answer to this line of questioning above - and again from your local
Porsche dealership.

If your Macan is under warranty and you install an aftermarket tuning option and at some point have an issue
with the engine, turbos, etc. it will not be covered by your Porsche warranty.

How about using google or some other search engine and looking for the information you're seeking?

Did you Macan not come with a set of owner's literature - including the warranty? Read your warranty. Specifically,
it does not cover:
  • Dealer-installed accessories not distributed by PCNA
  • Modifications not authorized by PCNA
  • Note 2: You should be aware that PCNA may deny you warranty coverage if your vehicle or a part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or unapproved modifications.
  • Under the heading This Warranty Does Not Cover the following entry is listed: Unauthorized modifications or vehicles with salvage titles

I do not see how much more explicit Porsche can make it.

If you want to modify your MAcan while it's still under warranty, you're on your own - and have most likely voided your warranty.

Is it worth the risk?

You decide - this forum cannot make that decision for you.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2019, 11:47 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by PSEE
It looks as though you already received the answer to this line of questioning above - and again from your local
Porsche dealership.

If your Macan is under warranty and you install an aftermarket tuning option and at some point have an issue
with the engine, turbos, etc. it will not be covered by your Porsche warranty.

How about using google or some other search engine and looking for the information you're seeking?

Did you Macan not come with a set of owner's literature - including the warranty? Read your warranty. Specifically,
it does not cover:
  • Dealer-installed accessories not distributed by PCNA
  • Modifications not authorized by PCNA
  • Note 2: You should be aware that PCNA may deny you warranty coverage if your vehicle or a part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or unapproved modifications.
  • Under the heading This Warranty Does Not Cover the following entry is listed: Unauthorized modifications or vehicles with salvage titles

I do not see how much more explicit Porsche can make it.

If you want to modify your MAcan while it's still under warranty, you're on your own - and have most likely voided your warranty.

Is it worth the risk?

You decide - this forum cannot make that decision for you.

Good luck!
Bingo. That pretty much sums it up right there.

After YEARS of making numerous mods to many vehicles I've owned, and even purchasing well know 'tuner' cars (Lingenfelter, Callaway, etc.), these days I just stick to buying whatever level of performance I desire brand new from the OEMs. Nowadays there's no lack of factory available performance out there complete with full warranty. (as long as one's wallet can support it of course)

Quick Reply: Macan turbo-lag... any after-market fixes?