Macan 2014-Current

Steering Feel/Weight

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 09:46 PM
e90076
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Steering Feel/Weight

Thinking about trading my 14 Cayenne GTS in for a Macan but wanted to get some input from owners. I have a base Macan loaner right now and I’m finding the steering to be a bit odd...almost feels like it has some elasticity in it. The first 5 or so degrees I turn the steering wheel, it’s easy and there is not much wheel movement...keep turning and then it gets artificially heavy and the wheels turn more linearly. Do the GTS and Turbo models feel the same? The steering on my Cayenne feels much more direct and quick in comparison.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:01 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by e90076
Thinking about trading my 14 Cayenne GTS in for a Macan but wanted to get some input from owners. I have a base Macan loaner right now and I’m finding the steering to be a bit odd...almost feels like it has some elasticity in it. The first 5 or so degrees I turn the steering wheel, it’s easy and there is not much wheel movement...keep turning and then it gets artificially heavy and the wheels turn more linearly. Do the GTS and Turbo models feel the same? The steering on my Cayenne feels much more direct and quick in comparison.
I'm guessing your base loaner isn't equipped with the Power Steering + option (although even the base Macans generally aren't criticized for steering shortcomings, especially in it's class of vehicles). I suggest test driving a Macan GTS which has Power Steering + as standard, perhaps that'll make the difference you seek?

The steering on my Macan GTS feels every bit as responsive and direct as my Cayenne Turbo did, if not more so.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:40 PM
vivalaReagan
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts

i own a 2018 turbo and have experienced what you’re describing. i had it serviced recently for two warranty issues, one of which was the known steering wheel groan. my macan had the updated steering column, so the service bulletin called for lube and friction tape. when i picked up the vehicle, the groan had dissipated but the steering sensation you desrcribed seemed more pronounced. i plan to drive it a bit before deciding on a return visit to the dealership.

overall, the macan steering seems a bit too light and not as linear, especially at center, as a vehicle at this level should deliver. it’s very possible carguy’s point about power steering plus is accurate, as my macan does not have this feature.

Quick Reply: Steering Feel/Weight