Sponsored by:

Macan EV: Drive modes and customization

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2024, 05:09 AM
beye
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Drive modes and customization

Drivers can customize driving modes directly in a PCM pop-up window, and store their driver profile in the Drive Mode screen.
Normal driving mode cannot be customized.
Sport-plus is only available with the Sport Chrono.
So it seems like there is not “individual mode”, instead, you can customize existing modes under limits.

In grey, what you can customize and save.
Niveau (garde au sol) = Ground clearance
Réglages usine : factory settings / default

The following users liked this post:
TC Cruising (08-13-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 09:32 AM
digli
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for this!
Old 08-14-2024, 10:47 AM
tmrqs
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by beye
Drivers can customize driving modes directly in a PCM pop-up window, and store their driver profile in the Drive Mode screen.
Normal driving mode cannot be customized.
Sport-plus is only available with the Sport Chrono.
So it seems like there is not “individual mode”, instead, you can customize existing modes under limits.

In grey, what you can customize and save.
Niveau (garde au sol) = Ground clearance
Réglages usine : factory settings / default

That’s also what I was told - and could see in the Macan at PEC ATL. No Range nor Individual modes, unlike the Taycan.
Old 08-14-2024, 11:38 AM
jsclarke
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

If The Sport Sound cannot be set as a default in "normal" driving mode- it's value drops so much in my mind as I think I'll save the $500 (US)....
Old 08-14-2024, 11:54 AM
Awas
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree, worth saving $500 on this.
May as well go for another option. I'm thinking of adding massage function. As I already have ventilation in seats, adding massage is just £472 UK. Both together is £1176.

Last edited by Awas; 08-14-2024 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-16-2024, 01:01 PM
kamichael
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

This is what I was saying should have been the case for all models with the drive mode dial. My 992 911 only allowed me to set the "Individual" mode. I have always used this capability on my BMW M models that have M1 and M2. I was able to assign all the custom settings for the two drive modes. This might seem a small detail, but it actually makes a lot of sense. For example, I usually like to leave my suspension in the comfort setting, no matter which mode - Normal, Sport or Sport+. I could not do this on my 911, so only Individual was useful to me. Porsche got this right on the Macan EV.
The following 2 users liked this post by kamichael:
Awas (08-16-2024), TC Cruising (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 04:57 PM
cdpippolo
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for this info...very helpful. So want to confirm that I understand. While there is no individual mode, I can customize sport mode to have any combination of suspension firmness and height that I want? If that's true, the lack of individual mode doesn't bother me because I would just use normal or a customized sport mode, and I won't bother with the sport chrono package (don't care about the clock and unlikely to be tracking the car). Thanks!
Old 08-16-2024, 06:48 PM
beye
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 80 Posts

It is also my understanding.
However, remember that without Pack Chrono, no Sport+ and no Launch mode.

Look at this picture, where the Turbo is in Launch mode, ready to jump, amazing

Jeff Whitten (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 07:00 PM
kamichael
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree, Sport Chrono is a relative bargain on the Macan Electric range. In North America, it is "only" $980 and includes all of the following:
  • Analog and digital stopwatch
  • Sport Plus mode with performance-oriented settings for motor and chassis
  • Expansion of Porsche Stability Management (PSM) with a Sport Mode
  • Integrated Sport Chrono tile in the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) with recording of lap times and telemetry data with the ability to add tracks and analyze sectors and laps
Old 08-16-2024, 07:06 PM
cdpippolo
Track Day

Originally Posted by beye
It is also my understanding.
However, remember that without Pack Chrono, no Sport+ and no Launch mode.

Look at this picture, where the Turbo is in Launch mode, ready to jump, amazing

I thought I read somewhere that launch mode was available in either sport or sport + with esc turned to sport.
Old 08-16-2024, 07:17 PM
cdpippolo
Track Day

Originally Posted by kamichael
I agree, Sport Chrono is a relative bargain on the Macan Electric range. In North America, it is "only" $980 and includes all of the following:
  • Analog and digital stopwatch
  • Sport Plus mode with performance-oriented settings for motor and chassis
  • Expansion of Porsche Stability Management (PSM) with a Sport Mode
  • Integrated Sport Chrono tile in the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) with recording of lap times and telemetry data with the ability to add tracks and analyze sectors and laps
I have Sport Chrono on my 23 Macan S and in hindsight I could have done without it, except I did want the adjuster on the wheel (which comes standard on the EV). Don't really care about the analog clock, and I almost never put the chassis in sport plus (sport is plenty firm even with air suspension). I don't know what sport plus does to the "motor"(s) on the EV because I had understood that it didn't launch any quicker in sport or sport plus. It's a single speed transmission so nothing to do there. I'll never use that tile in the PCM. I get that it's less than 1K, just not sure there is anything there I need, but appreciate YMMV.
​​​
Awas (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 07:48 PM
Awas
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by cdpippolo
I have Sport Chrono on my 23 Macan S and in hindsight I could have done without it, except I did want the adjuster on the wheel (which comes standard on the EV). Don't really care about the analog clock, and I almost never put the chassis in sport plus (sport is plenty firm even with air suspension). I don't know what sport plus does to the "motor"(s) on the EV because I had understood that it didn't launch any quicker in sport or sport plus. It's a single speed transmission so nothing to do there. I'll never use that tile in the PCM. I get that it's less than 1K, just not sure there is anything there I need, but appreciate YMMV.
​​​
That's exactly the reason I didn't option it. Sport is quick enough for our speed limited roads.
You still get the dial on the steering wheel anyway, which I wanted. Clock is just cosmetic, in my view, as I prefer clean lines of the dash rather than a bump for a clock. Besides, I'm sure time (and outside temperature) appears on one of the gauges or infotainment screen, anyway.
Better spend 1k on something else : )
Anyway, we are all different with different needs, preferences, and Porsche is best for such choices.

Last edited by Awas; 08-16-2024 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2024, 11:30 PM
tmrqs
Instructor

I thought I read somewhere that launch mode was available in either sport or sport + with esc turned to sport.
You do get LC in Sport Mode but if you have say A/C running, you’ll get a different behavior:
- In Sport, it will let the A/C run and you won’t get the full power to the motors
- In Sport+, it will automatically turn off A/C and turn it back on afterwards, giving all the juice to the motors

Probably won’t matter to most but also, after having spent a couple of days tracking and autoXing Porsches in Sport and Sport+, I’m keeping my Sport Chrono package.

Last edited by tmrqs; 08-17-2024 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-17-2024, 09:01 AM
cdpippolo
Track Day

Originally Posted by tmrqs
You do get LC in Sport Mode but if you have say A/C running, you’ll get a different behavior:
- In Sport, it will let the A/C run and you won’t get the full power to the motors
- In Sport+, it will automatically turn off A/C and turn it back on afterwards, giving all the juice to the motors

Probably won’t matter to most but also, after having spent a couple of days tracking and autoXing Porsches in Sport and Sport+, I’m keeping my Sport Chrono package.
Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I don't plan to track the car so will likely go without (have time to think about it since I won't order until next year), but understand why you would want it. Think I will save the money on sport chrono and put it toward Porsche Torque Vectoring (which I presume you are getting as well since you track and autocross).
Old 08-17-2024, 10:37 AM
tmrqs
Instructor

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I don't plan to track the car so will likely go without (have time to think about it since I won't order until next year), but understand why you would want it. Think I will save the money on sport chrono and put it toward Porsche Torque Vectoring (which I presume you are getting as well since you track and autocross).
Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+) is standard on the Turbo - at least in the US - so will have it yes. Combined with Rear Axle Steering, it’ll be fun!

Quick Reply: Macan EV: Drive modes and customization