Notices
Macan EV Discuss the 2024 Porsche Macan EV
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Macan EV: Meet the all-electric Macan at a Porsche Experience Center (free!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2024, 02:17 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like this is more of a ride along than a test drive, can anyone confirm?
Old 06-15-2024, 02:43 PM
alvaro_m
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboIXXI
Sounds like this is more of a ride along than a test drive, can anyone confirm?
It was. But well worth it. I even sat in the back seat behind the driver. It didn't take anything away from the experience. Was like being on a roller coaster.
The following 3 users liked this post by alvaro_m:
daveo4porsche (06-16-2024), fjpdds (07-04-2024), tmrqs (06-15-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 01:05 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,912 Likes on 1,903 Posts

not a test drive - a test ride - and complete access to a car to sit in and poke around…

my homework assignment turned in here - https://www.macanevowners.com/forum/threads/pecla-macan-ev-preview-….16929/

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 06-21-2024 at 01:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fjpdds (07-04-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 03:58 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

I went to PECLA and did the test ride. The car was pretty much what I expected and it really does look great. The rear seats felt smaller than the regular Macan. During the test ride, we went around the track a few times and the car felt stable and planted. I sat on the passenger side rear seat and the rear-axle steering felt pretty noticeable, it almost felt like a bit too much body roll. I'm sure when you're driving or sitting in the front, the feeling is quite different. We only did the launch control once, but it really feels like the power tapers off quite fast. Anyone have more info on the power delivery? I wish it had the full horsepower without launch control. I mean, how often are we really launching a 4 door suv? It would've been nice if they incorporated it into the sports chrono package like an overboost mode in sport +
Old 06-24-2024, 04:11 PM
TC Cruising
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts

It is 576 HP without launch control.
Old 06-24-2024, 05:28 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

I meant power delivery as in how long does it have 630hp in launch control mode.
I didn't see the battery charge percentage and it was a pretty hot day.. maybe that's why it felt slow.

Here's what I found..

Information on performance data for fully electric Porsche models
The maximum drive power of a fully electric vehicle depends on different requirements than the maximum drive power of a vehicle with a combustion engine. In order to achieve the best possible comparability and reproducible results, Porsche determines the drive power of its fully electric models in accordance with the specifications of the UN Global Technical Regulation No. 21 (GTR21) and the UN ECE R-85.

The performance measurement is carried out with a sufficiently charged battery on a temperature-controlled test stand. The maximum power is present for the duration specified in the standard, which is 2 to 10 seconds depending on the measurement method.

The GTR21 does not provide for measurements with a standing start. To determine the launch control performance, Porsche slightly modified the measurement procedure and accelerated the vehicle from a standstill with activated launch control to a reference speed. The measurement starts as soon as the vehicle accelerates under full load.

The drive power available in real driving operation can be significantly below the values determined on the test bench. Important influencing factors include the duration of the power requirement, the speed range, the state of charge and the temperature of the battery and drives.
TC Cruising (06-24-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 12:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Did this over the weekend with @usctrojanGT3

here are my impressions: I have a Taycan Cross Tour today and really enjoy the car.

Overall impressions (we have current generation macan s today):

--big step up on interior build quality and finish, along with more modern tech. this is a big step for the German cars but probably still behind some other brands. The fit and finish was very high quality.

--space in the back seat is a big improvement over current macan

--rear storage good. frunk storage usable but much smaller than the taycan

--car looks and feels larger than the current macan

--the front end, with the split lights, not sure I'm a fan, but the rest of the design looks great. They had 7 of them in different colors and the car looked good in all of them. The wheels, the aero wheels are ok (and efficient) but the RS Spyder wheels are much better looking

--performance. the car hauls *** and corners on rails. And I think feels faster than (I rode in the turbo) the spec indicates. On handling, it drives WAY better than the current macan. it feels flatter, more agile, and more sports oriented, but with a suppleness in the chassis that is missing from some of their sports cars (which feel over sprung). The chassis calibration and suspension tuning are a big step up from current generation macan, and borderline as good as the Taycan is. This will be a fantastic driving car.

--driving position, control feel. Well, I didn't get to drive it (pre production cars), but, the driving position, wheel. seat, controls are all perfect. you can really sit lower in the car, and the seats (these were the sport plus seats or whatever the high bolster ones are called) are fantastic. Also, entry/exit is much better relative to the taycan which has the b pillar annoyingly forward to the seat so you always drag on it getting in.

Anyway, I encourage anyone who is in this market to take a look, it's a really good car.
The following 8 users liked this post by Spyerx:
daveo4porsche (06-25-2024), fjpdds (07-04-2024), fubar.droid (06-25-2024), hitmonlee (06-27-2024), Jeff Whitten (06-25-2024), TC Cruising (06-25-2024), tmrqs (06-25-2024), usctrojanGT3 (06-25-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-25-2024, 12:44 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

agree 100%

one small quibble

macan frunk is differently shaped than taycan - but almost identical volume according to porsches specs

macan is 2.9 cubic-ft vs taycan 3.0 cubic-ft - i didn’t believe at first which is why i checked
Old 06-25-2024, 12:56 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
agree 100%

one small quibble

macan frunk is differently shaped than taycan - but almost identical volume according to porsches specs

macan is 2.9 cubic-ft vs taycan 3.0 cubic-ft - i didn’t believe at first which is why i checked
Interesting! It maybe didn't feel as usable due to the shape? or maybe because the versions they had are euro spec cars ? not sure...
daveo4porsche (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 02:20 PM
TC Cruising
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts

Thank you Spyerx for your detailed review. Nice to hear you rave about quite a few of its characteristics. My wife and were heading to get the RS Spyder wheels but then took a long look at how intricate all their spokes are and tried to figure out how long to clean them (so we will pass on them). We have got to see the 22” aero Exclusive Design wheels in person though they look to us pretty good in black and certainly are much quicker to clean.

Old 06-25-2024, 03:08 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Did this over the weekend with @usctrojanGT3

here are my impressions: I have a Taycan Cross Tour today and really enjoy the car.

Overall impressions (we have current generation macan s today):

--big step up on interior build quality and finish, along with more modern tech. this is a big step for the German cars but probably still behind some other brands. The fit and finish was very high quality.

--space in the back seat is a big improvement over current macan

--rear storage good. frunk storage usable but much smaller than the taycan

--car looks and feels larger than the current macan

--the front end, with the split lights, not sure I'm a fan, but the rest of the design looks great. They had 7 of them in different colors and the car looked good in all of them. The wheels, the aero wheels are ok (and efficient) but the RS Spyder wheels are much better looking

--performance. the car hauls *** and corners on rails. And I think feels faster than (I rode in the turbo) the spec indicates. On handling, it drives WAY better than the current macan. it feels flatter, more agile, and more sports oriented, but with a suppleness in the chassis that is missing from some of their sports cars (which feel over sprung). The chassis calibration and suspension tuning are a big step up from current generation macan, and borderline as good as the Taycan is. This will be a fantastic driving car.

--driving position, control feel. Well, I didn't get to drive it (pre production cars), but, the driving position, wheel. seat, controls are all perfect. you can really sit lower in the car, and the seats (these were the sport plus seats or whatever the high bolster ones are called) are fantastic. Also, entry/exit is much better relative to the taycan which has the b pillar annoyingly forward to the seat so you always drag on it getting in.

Anyway, I encourage anyone who is in this market to take a look, it's a really good car.
That's interesting! I only saw three; ice grey, copper ruby metallic, and provence when I went this past weekend (Saturday at 12:30pm). I really wanted to see the aventurine green in person, since that's the color I have on order.
Old 06-25-2024, 05:59 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurboIXXI
That's interesting! I only saw three; ice grey, copper ruby metallic, and provence when I went this past weekend (Saturday at 12:30pm). I really wanted to see the aventurine green in person, since that's the color I have on order.
That's what they said, they are rotating them for the track as they don't have replacement brakes OR tires for them !!! And have to slow charge as they are euro and don't have the adapter for CCS used here. I can' recall how many I saw, maybe 4 or 5.

On the RS Spyder wheels, I'll agree on PITA to clean. Keep in mind, EV use brakes a lot less, so you see a LOT less dust. My Taycan can go a month a barely show dust. That option. you posted are nice too.
TC Cruising (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 08:49 PM
PSPJames
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

We went today. Took the test ride in the Turbo. Did Launch Control. I'm glad I went with the base Macan 4, I don't need that much power. After zooming through the track I thought I needed a Tums. I guess I drive slow. I really wish we could have done this BEFORE locking in my order, as I would have done a couple options differently. Oh well! It's a fun event that only lasts about 25 minutes, so if you have the opportunity, you should do it! We drove 2 1/2 hours each way from Palm Springs, but it was worth it.
Old 06-25-2024, 09:02 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PSPJames
I don't need that much power.
my wife read this over my shoulder - and she's very very confused…
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Jeff Whitten (06-26-2024), Spyerx (06-26-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 09:04 PM
PSPJames
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
my wife read this over my shoulder - and she's very very confused…
I came from a base Taycan, so 5 seconds to 60 is plenty quick (although slower than my Tesla Model 3).

Quick Reply: Macan EV: Meet the all-electric Macan at a Porsche Experience Center (free!)