Sponsored by:

Macan EV: 2025 Porsche Macan EV Prototype Drive: Porsche’s Future Is Upon Us

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 03:02 PM
boyce89976
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Faust T.
I have no idea why some people resist EV so much, especially one that never driven one and never taken one to road trip,
Porsche, like many manufacturers, are force to develop EV by EU and US regulations, you either get a Macan EV or no Macan at all, which one do you prefer?
Perhaps it’s because there’s no infrastructure to support it, or the fact that the manufacture and disposal of the batteries is worse for the environment than fossil fuel, or the fact that it’s being pushed on us for no credible reason except that it fits an agenda. I prefer my government to govern, not tell me what I can and can’t have, or force me to buy something I don’t want.
The following 4 users liked this post by boyce89976:
dak911 (01-13-2024), Llarry (10-12-2023), murox (01-15-2024), Ob917 (10-11-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 03:15 PM
Faust T.
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by boyce89976
Perhaps it’s because there’s no infrastructure to support it, or the fact that the manufacture and disposal of the batteries is worse for the environment than fossil fuel, or the fact that it’s being pushed on us for no credible reason except that it fits an agenda. I prefer my government to govern, not tell me what I can and can’t have, or force me to buy something I don’t want.
I agree with you, we been through it for the past two decades, environmental laws that force auto manufacturers to make cars that are more complicate to save a questionable amount of fuel.
Porsche really doesn't the choice here, the 95B platform is almost a decade old now, there isn't any incentive to develop an ICE successor to it,
and if you're able to charge at home (which most Porsche new car buyers shouldn't have problem with), EV is actually pretty nice to live with, you don't have to spend time and detour to visit a gas station anymore.
Old 10-11-2023, 04:57 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Did Porsche publish Ring times for the ICE Macan?

And if it did, did you buy it because of its Ring time?

If so, then perhaps an SUV is not for you. (Cayenne TGT notwithstanding)
Porsche published a lot of performance data on the Macan that is not available on the EV. The ICE is the performance standard and the EV has to prove its merrit in comparison. I bought the Macan GTS because of its performance compared to the 2017 911 I have and it was amazingly close. I don't look at the Macan as an "SUV", but a performance touring/hatchback. But add another 500+ lbs in batteries and that will affect performance, even with 600 Hp on tap.
Old 10-11-2023, 05:02 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
Ring times are just a measure of overall performance of a vehicle...it's a test of handling, acceleration, and braking all in one number that's fairly easy to understand and rank and enough gap between vehicles to quantify things (hard to understand tenth's on a short track). So there's some value to it.
My point with the Ring times is what is the net balance of the increased weight of the EV vs the added power and torque. A number of years back BMW surprised the world with the Ring times of the new X5 at the time, even though the car weighed well over the 4000 lb mark.
Old 10-11-2023, 05:08 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Faust T.
you don't have to spend time and detour to visit a gas station anymore.
No you have to spend time and detour to find a charging station, which in my neighborhood here in CA are always busy and packed (unless you own a Tesla) and even under the best of conditions, takes you 30 minutes to charge up. Worse than the gas lines in the 70's.
The following users liked this post:
Oileater (01-13-2024)
Old 10-11-2023, 05:35 PM
Faust T.
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
No you have to spend time and detour to find a charging station, which in my neighborhood here in CA are always busy and packed (unless you own a Tesla) and even under the best of conditions, takes you 30 minutes to charge up. Worse than the gas lines in the 70's.
I took my GF's Tesla for a road trip last year, there are Superchargers right across IN-N-Out where we stop for lunch,
there are LV2 chargers in the parking garage of our Hilton San Gabriel hotel,
there are Superchargers in front of Harris Ranch where we charge while having prime rib inside,
we never have to waste anytime to drive or stop or wait at a charger.
Sure, if you are not bale to install a home charger I can see that could becomes a problem, but there are Superchargers outside of Ranch 99, TARGET, etc,
you can easily charge while getting your errands done.

Oh and there are 11 Volt chargers where I work so all my EV coworkers basically get free gas.
Old 10-12-2023, 01:18 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,010 Likes on 4,865 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
Or you just charge at home and never have to worry about it, which you should do if you own/drive an EV.
Oileater (01-15-2024)
Old 10-12-2023, 01:20 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DHL
Porsche published a lot of performance data on the Macan that is not available on the EV. The ICE is the performance standard and the EV has to prove its merrit in comparison. I bought the Macan GTS because of its performance compared to the 2017 911 I have and it was amazingly close. I don't look at the Macan as an "SUV", but a performance touring/hatchback. But add another 500+ lbs in batteries and that will affect performance, even with 600 Hp on tap.
And I'm sure Porsche will as well when the Macan EV is actually unveiled officially for production. All we have are prototypes for now.

Does Porsche provide performance data for their prototype vehicles? ICE Macan, or otherwise? I'll wait.

And I'm still waiting for that ICE Macan Ring time.
rainmaster (11-13-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 10:30 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

...not to mention spontaneous battery fires and associated thermal runaway...

How'd you like that to happen in your garage while you're sleeping?

Remember, when you're sleeping, you won't detect the smell of smoke, etc.

What if your bedroom is situated over your garage?

Old 10-12-2023, 11:11 AM
nevil
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

For a long time building codes have mandated fire-resistant sheetrock material for garage ceilings. Easy enough to install a smoke/heat alarm on the ceiling and they can be linked to the other detectors in the house.
I'm not saying that your fears are unjustified, it's something that would bother me as well. To the extent I would never park an EV inside. Since I don't plan on owing one, it's a moot point for me.
There are ways to be alerted in the event of a fire, but that kind of battery fire would destroy the house, no matter how fast the fire department got there.
Old 10-12-2023, 11:38 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PSEE
...not to mention spontaneous battery fires and associated thermal runaway...

How'd you like that to happen in your garage while you're sleeping?

Remember, when you're sleeping, you won't detect the smell of smoke, etc.

What if your bedroom is situated over your garage?
And how often has this happened? Ever?

Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's probable.
rainmaster (11-13-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 03:12 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
Are you saying a talking salamander isn’t anything? How about a burning bush? Walking on water?
Cults. Every one of them. Just another way for man (men) to control other men.

For those that can still read, pick up Sapiens by Juval Harari. Fairy tales, legends, folklore, myths.

The ‘trick’ is to have the best story. For instance, what’s the greatest story ever told? It’s not a religion. It’s MONEY! Not everyone believes in god. But everyone believes in money. Anyone ever win a Nobel prize for religion? Nope. But a lot win the prize for…economics.
Russian Mafia (10-13-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 07:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
Cults. Every one of them. Just another way for man (men) to control other men.

For those that can still read, pick up Sapiens by Juval Harari. Fairy tales, legends, folklore, myths.

The ‘trick’ is to have the best story. For instance, what’s the greatest story ever told? It’s not a religion. It’s MONEY! Not everyone believes in god. But everyone believes in money. Anyone ever win a Nobel prize for religion? Nope. But a lot win the prize for…economics.
Money is my religion.
Old 10-12-2023, 08:20 PM
Snowytrail
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Now I will have to decide about updating to the ultimate ICE version. A hybrid with ~ 600 hp would make the decision MUCH easier!
2024 Cayenne Turbo available to order...check out the specs.
Old 10-12-2023, 08:38 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Or you just charge at home and never have to worry about it, which you should do if you own/drive an EV.
And what is the capital cost for those? Charging only at home means round trips must be under the total range. A condition completely unacceptable to me.

Quick Reply: Macan EV: 2025 Porsche Macan EV Prototype Drive: Porsche’s Future Is Upon Us