Rennlist Member

Received 12,122 Likes on 5,270 Posts

Old 01-22-2024, 10:34 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Never let facts, actual facts, get in the way of a good internet discussion.
More like "never let actual facts getting in the way of the story you tell to support your point". It's just so easy for people to find garbage online written either by a bot or, worse, a dumbass that supports their point and they point to this as "evidence" that they are right.

We have never lived in a time where people can be so uneducated and feel so empowered.
The following users liked this post:
misteralz (01-23-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 01:52 PM
FavOutLaw
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's a 2-fold issue for me: https://edmontonsun.com/opinion/lett...-frosty-to-evs which and https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...s-a1047214174/
While the cold issue won't affect the vast majority of EV owners, I'd say climate is a consideration for those that live in areas where it does get into severe cold temps. Where I am, the elec company's service is already taxed, so adding EVs doesn't make things easier on the grid. They should have started building NPPs years ago and this would be a non-issue, but as always - cart then horse.

Ultimately, my view is simple: You do you. If someone wants an EV, go for it. I like ICE and won't be touching EV anytime soon.
Old 01-22-2024, 03:14 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

Received 494 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
We have never lived in a time where people can be so uneducated and feel so empowered.
I think the problem is that no matter how wrong you are, you will not have much trouble finding support for your position online. You'll have allies, powerful ones. The cabdriver with an endless litany of conspiracy theories now has his own YouTube channel with 200,000 subscribers. The politician who would have been dismissed (or arrested) as a subversive in an earlier era is now sponsored by the largest TV news network. The phone call you just got from the other candidate telling you to be sure to vote this Wednesday actually came from an AI, and by the way the election is on Tuesday. The guy with 10,000 posts on your favorite car forum, the one who constantly posts slanted and distorted information about how great electric cars are, actually works for an industry think tank. And so does the guy with 12,000 posts arguing with him. Etc., etc.

It's going to get so much worse.
The following users liked this post:
misteralz (01-23-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 01:40 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Let me know when the EV gets > 400 miles in town (I do regularly), let alone I don't have to worry about range on a road trip. Off to Jackson Hole this week.
You're on one extreme of the bell curve. Just because EVs aren't up your alley doesn't mean that the capabilities of this particular vehicle aren't more than adequate for the vast majority of affluent urbanites who will charge their vehicles in their garages and don't take their EVs on epic overland adventures. Statistics are very clear about how far people drive, and Porsche has absolutely done its homework. It also goes without saying that this European vehicle design aligns to its home market first and foremost.

We can liken the rollout of EVs to that of mobile phones. As with so much these days, the consumer has to rely not only on the hardware in his possession, but also some network to enable the use of that hardware. In the early days, mobile phone network coverage was spotty. Rural customers hung onto their landlines. A couple decades later... things are totally different. My mother who is 80 dropped her land line. Are the devices and networks perfect for everyone? Of course not. Despite advertising all the crap you can waste your time doing on a mobile device, manufacturers still don't make a phone that can play YouTube videos, navigate your car, update your followers, game constantly and talk on all your social platforms for a week straight without recharging. They haven't even tried. The device manufacturers have, however, spent tons of effort enabling faster recharging and safer batteries.

If you demand to be able to drive 400+ miles without recharging, you may never be satisfied. Everyone else on the planet will plan a potty break and a meal somewhere in that 400 miles. In the civilized world, the demand for chargers will be met by increasing charging choices. We know this because the demand for mobile phone towers are meeting your needs today ... even in some quite remote regions. It's good to have choice. Because in less than another generation, the price of imported Saudi dinosaur juice isn't going to be looking like a very wise economic option.
Old 01-29-2024, 02:46 PM
Eco Mode
AutoX

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by roule
You're on one extreme of the bell curve. Just because EVs aren't up your alley doesn't mean that the capabilities of this particular vehicle aren't more than adequate for the vast majority of affluent urbanites who will charge their vehicles in their garages and don't take their EVs on epic overland adventures. Statistics are very clear about how far people drive, and Porsche has absolutely done its homework. It also goes without saying that this European vehicle design aligns to its home market first and foremost.

We can liken the rollout of EVs to that of mobile phones. As with so much these days, the consumer has to rely not only on the hardware in his possession, but also some network to enable the use of that hardware. In the early days, mobile phone network coverage was spotty. Rural customers hung onto their landlines. A couple decades later... things are totally different. My mother who is 80 dropped her land line. Are the devices and networks perfect for everyone? Of course not. Despite advertising all the crap you can waste your time doing on a mobile device, manufacturers still don't make a phone that can play YouTube videos, navigate your car, update your followers, game constantly and talk on all your social platforms for a week straight without recharging. They haven't even tried. The device manufacturers have, however, spent tons of effort enabling faster recharging and safer batteries.

If you demand to be able to drive 400+ miles without recharging, you may never be satisfied. Everyone else on the planet will plan a potty break and a meal somewhere in that 400 miles. In the civilized world, the demand for chargers will be met by increasing charging choices. We know this because the demand for mobile phone towers are meeting your needs today ... even in some quite remote regions. It's good to have choice. Because in less than another generation, the price of imported Saudi dinosaur juice isn't going to be looking like a very wise economic option.
Not to mention the EXTRA WEIGHT of any car capable of 400+ miles (Lucid, Model S, etc.) so it's a fine balance between usable battery for most people and handling the extra 300Kg battery which you now have to have a different dedicated platform for the larger battery system. Porsche also designs its platforms to carry a specific weight so the battery size is a significant consideration.

Obviously, the hope is that solid state's extra energy density gets us to 400+ for the same weight as the current Macan EV but it's likely to be 5 years away.

Quick Reply: Macan EV: 2025 Porsche Macan EV Prototype Drive: Porsche’s Future Is Upon Us