Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Larry, you need to say more.
He doesn't use the curbing on the inside of Wagonbend, and appears to trackout early. Then he doesn't use all of the road approaching the Chute, apexes late, and then drives down the middle of the track and around turn 5. Unless the new asphault is broken up there, he should have his inside wheels on the curbing all the way to the apex in 5. It also looks like he could have go into 5 a lot harder.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

This is helpful, as when I watched the video I did not think the line was that bad. (We are talking about the black GT3, right, and not the camera car?)

Would you have him put his left wheels on the inside (left) curbing of T3? I thought he was a couple of inches off that curbing, and that was ok for the late-pass line he was on.

I agree that coming out of T3 he does not head straight for the turn in to T4 (he wanders a bit) and that he leaves room on the left at the turn in. That was what caught my eye as room for improvement.

He does place his right wheels a couple of inches over the curbing at the T4 apex, and that was good--maybe even a tad too much as it can unsettle the car.

For a low HP that does not need to protect the inside line, he would enter T5 farther to the right, but for a high HP car or someone protecting the line his entry to T5 looked good. (In a high HP car T5 could be taken really tight to the left curbing, but the screwed up asphalt can be straddled if you take T5 wider--about a half car-width off the left side curbing or so.)

Always appreciate your guidance, Larry.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Chris, the chute is a place where time can be lost on both the entry and exit. Regardless of your HP, and I have driven both a 100 hp 914 and a 400 hp GT3, you want to take the chute with as large a radius as possible to keep your entry and exit speeds up. This means that you start on the far left, gently clip the curb on the right, and finish all the way on the left. That means that you are stuffing it right into 5 hard on the brakes right along the curb. That allows you to exit 5 in the middle of the track, with a better line into 6. My video hosting site went belly-up, so I can't post what I have from Summit.

If I have time maybe I'll try to get a clip onto Google.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Good thing I archive your videos!

This is from 2006 before the repave, the re-repave and the re-re-repave. Where the concrete is in T5 on this video there is now Swiss cheese asphalt patch material peeling off.

See if there is a bit here that demonstrates what you are saying. I do get the "tight to the inside of T5" line, but the fast guys in SSM (95 HP Miatas) do take a wider line there when they are not protecting their line--about a car width or more to the right (almost mid-track?) going into T5, more to the right through T5 and then all the way left at turn in to T6. From that point to T10 it's flat.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Chris, at the 2:20 mark, just after Steve Meenan (Red Turbo) passes me, see how I use all of the road in the chute, apex early to keep my entry speed up, and trackout to the edge. I am trailbraking almost 1/2 through 5, and catching Steve. That gives me a tighter exit but with no apparent loss of speed, and a much better entry into 6. Notice that as I come off of 5, it allows me to go straight to the left side of the track rather than have to drive over to it. Also, my car understeers through there, and if I get too wide in 5 it just hangs out there and plows. The Miatas may not have that problem.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

That helps, thanks.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey folks.. I am the camera car. Followed a link here from the GT3 forum. Here is a vid of 2 whole laps of me following Jon.. Would appreciate some feedback (Larry or others).

Larry, we actually exchanged some pms about setup questions when I was 1st installing the GT3 susp into my 996.

FWIW, the track is broken up really badly in T1, T5 and T6 right where your outside tires would normally want to be.

http://vimeo.com/1215078

Here is the vid.. 1st lap is 1:22 and the 2nd one I am starting to back out of due to rising temps and am about a second off of Jon at that point.

I do blow T10 in the 2nd lap because I am spending more time looking down at my temp gauge then where I should be going.

BTW: what the heck is this Hey wait for me racing stuff?? LOL

Best,
-Paul

Last edited by Paul 996; 07-17-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

In the first lap, you take a better line and it would appear that you are on the power early in Wagonbend, as he doesn't pull much on you over the hill. Your speed down the chute and into 5 are better, and your line allows you to close on him going into the carousel (6). He only starts to pull away once he gets his car square and can get on the gas.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good points.. My gearing really hurts me from 6-9 as 996s have really tall gearing. Also, I probably need to change my line from 6-7 so that I can be full on the gas all the way.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

We were there in May for a seattime event... I'm amazed it's broken up that much since then... SP Main is such a historic track, and I can't believe they've done such a poor job of repaving it...

And BSR wonders why people drive hours further to go to other facilities...

Mike
Old 07-19-2008, 09:16 PM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My skirt kept blowing up into my eyes in the chute in my limited experience at summit point. (Our motor lost an apex seal in qualifying for the 12 hour race). The tire/earthen wall is very close on the outside. It is a fairly intimidating turn. ( I do most of my racing at Hallett where the runoff is measured by the acre, not the meter.)
Old 07-20-2008, 03:45 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Interestingly enough most impacts I have seen are on the inside. Small comfort as the tires and dirt are not too far away on the inside as well. during races some cars get pushed outside and in the dirt or get tangled up before the apex and go outside.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:29 PM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Interestingly enough most impacts I have seen are on the inside. Small comfort as the tires and dirt are not too far away on the inside as well. during races some cars get pushed outside and in the dirt or get tangled up before the apex and go outside.
Makes sense. When I spin I usually end up on the inside of the corner. I may go back with a Miata next year for the enduro. Our RX7 was not adequately tested and we had the usual outcome associated with indequate preparation.

Quick Reply: Don't lift!!!!