Don't lift!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Don't lift!!!!

For those contemplating running Summit Point, here is why it isn't good to lift in The Chute (high speed kink in a downhill "straight"):

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Thum...383&g=00&s=625

Scroll to the bottom of that page of pictures, then the top of the next page. Degree of difficulty = 2.8
Old 07-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Holy code brown moment, Batman!
Old 07-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Food Angel
Off-Topic Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah--that was ugly.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:27 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was 5 or 6 cars behind it. Got there as the tires were settling down. What you see is AFTER the first impact and primary energy absorbtion. This was in Black. I was told that the reason someone was in the right seat is he felt the driver was going too fast/flat out for T4 and in danger of spinning. The paddock scuttle is the reason Mike Levitas was in the right seat is he offered to give some pointers to his friend that was also client of his shop. The same scuttle is that Mike was overheard before the run saying something like "You have to brake for 4!"
They are both very lucky as the first impact was before the gap in the tire wall and the second still energetic hit was just after the gap. There is hard stuff like light poles on the other side of the gap in the direction of travel. This is one of the most sobering non injury wrecks ihave seen in a while. The energy levels were huge.

Last edited by kurt M; 07-14-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:35 PM
jester911
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sobering indeed. Why is that since I bounced off a tire wall myself recently all I seem to see now are pics and video of track carnage?
Old 07-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The chute can bite you hard. I dinged my 914 there 24 years ago. It was my humbling experience, and of course I was in white. I learned a huge lesson right there that I have not forgotten since.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:59 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jester911
Sobering indeed. Why is that since I bounced off a tire wall myself recently all I seem to see now are pics and video of track carnage?
It seems to be more as in car video becomes more pervasive. It also seems to no longer be poor form to post them. There is a video from the car right behind as well that shown the spin and inital impact. From up track in the video after the inital impact all you see is dust and then a tire dribbling out cross track. The still cam shots were from down track and down wind.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

As the HWFMR team's official Butt Puckerometer, I rate this one a butt pucker factor of 9.5 (10 being complete loss of bowell control). I am so glad to hear that all involved are doing well.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Levitas was in the right seat?

Damn.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:59 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
I was 5 or 6 cars behind it. Got there as the tires were settling down. What you see is AFTER the first impact and primary energy absorbtion. This was in Black. I was told that the reason someone was in the right seat is he felt the driver was going too fast/flat out for T4 and in danger of spinning. The paddock scuttle is the reason Mike Levitas was in the right seat is he offered to give some pointers to his friend that was also client of his shop. The same scuttle is that Mike was overheard before the run saying something like "You have to brake for 4!"
They are both very lucky as the first impact was before the gap in the tire wall and the second still energetic hit was just after the gap. There is hard stuff like light poles on the other side of the gap in the direction of travel. This is one of the most sobering non injury wrecks ihave seen in a while. The energy levels were huge.
For some reason this is what pops into my mind.
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Levitas was in the right seat?

Damn.
Yes, this has to be one of those times when you climb from the car, make certain that the driver if OK, stand him up straight....and then beat the crap out of him...all in the spirit of quality instruction of course!
Old 07-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
Yes, this has to be one of those times when you climb from the car, make certain that the driver if OK, stand him up straight....and then beat the crap out of him...all in the spirit of quality instruction of course!
And then send him a large bill.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:39 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
DJ, a fairly large guy, had the best speech. If he had a student that started droving over their head he would say something to the effect of...

You are going to crash. I hate to crash. If you crash I am going to beat the crap out of you before we finish the crash.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

A big problem with the chute at SP is not so much taking it without braking, it is getting the car straight enough to apply the Hand Of God brakes that you better have for T-5. Going down the chute with a slight lift requires that you get back hard on the gas through the kink in the cars that I have driven through the kink...always an interesting part of that track.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

My first thought was, 'hell of a job by the photographer'.

Second was pity for the instructor along for the ride.

Third was how lucky they both were that the shiny side stayed up.

Quick Reply: Don't lift!!!!