Never Neglect Your Turtle!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:30 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Never Neglect Your Turtle!

Years ago at my first club race at Putnam I met what I still think of as "the turtles." Mike of course, Eric from Chicago, Greg F, Jeff, Bill E, etc. That weekend Mike gave me the original HWFM bumper sticker. Since that race I've never run without a turtle on my car. Five years with a pile of poles, quite a few wins, a few track records, one ugly crash and ZERO 13s.

Then came Sebring! For whatever reason I hadn't ordered one of the new bumper stickers and for the first time in five years my car was turtleless. The trip started with my GF Karen losing her passport which we needed for our post race week in Cayman. She found it (good thing she's hot!) but we missed our flight and therefore Thursday's practice session. No big deal. The first couple of Friday sessions were fine. Then came the all important 3rd practice that set the grid for qualifying. Sure enough my naked 997 gave me a low water pressure warning on the first lap. A quick trip to the pits confirmed that it was no big deal but now I was right in the middle of a huge bunch of slow cars. Back in the pits in hopes of finding space then back on the track just as the shortened session came to a close. Damn.

Qualifying was no better. Mired in traffic I ran some of my slowest laps of the weekend. There goes the sprint race.

Hoping for a better enduro I went out hard but got caught up with an overly optimistic cup car losing it while trying to out-brake me into 7 . Rather than hit him I the long route and lost 7 or 8 spots. No problem. I was pounding through the pack when the guy in front of me lost it going into 17. I got caught up worrying about where he was going and found myself in the marbles and soon after lightly in the wall. Weekend over.

So what have I learned from this? Never, ever, under any circumstances put your car on the track without your turtle. I know I never will.
Jim

p.s. does anyone have the URL for the site with the stickers?
Old 02-20-2008, 05:27 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim, this was the email address for Mike Globe who had them. Start here

Never leave home without it!

***Note . . . I removed Mike's email address from Randy's post. Knowing that Randy is a great guy, I'm sure he will understand. Folks don't usually like it when you post their email address without their consent, as that's how spammers get a hold of it. A better suggestion would be to PM Mike. Thanks Randy, for understanding. (edited by Bonster)

Last edited by Bonster; 02-20-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:29 PM
jester911
Drifting

Mglobe (Mike) did have a sticky at the top with the info but it must have expired.
If you pm him he will give you the info.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

The sticky didn't expire. When Mike requested I turn it into a sticky, I did as he asked. When he asked me to unsticky it, I again obliged him. Do you guys want me to sticky it again?
Old 02-20-2008, 05:43 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Please remove my email address from this forum immediately.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mglobe
Please remove my email address from this forum immediately.
***Done deal, Mike. I'm sure Randy meant no harm.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:51 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm sure there was no harm intended also. As very few were interested in the stickers, and our supplier was not very good at delivering the goods, I've given up taking care of this. Several members have recieved a PM from me on how to get stickers. One of them could kindly forward to Randy, and y'all can see if Blair will come through with stickers for you.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the info. And fyi...I ordered mine mid-Jan and have not yet received. I called him again today. He's definitely part of the turtle team.
Hi guys,

The stickers are ready to go. To purchase them, go to

http://hart-photography.com/photocart/

Most of you probably have not used Blair's web site before, so you'll have to register with your email addy and a password. Once you're there, click on the link that says "Access Gallery", and enter the access code 2ebaa6e5. This will take you to a page where you can see what the stickers will look like, chose the type of sticker you want (permanent, vinyl cling, magnetic, reusable vinyl), and make your purchase.

Blair is a guy who makes a living photographing people at the track. Folks who drove at MSR Cresson will know him. I like supporting folks that work at and around the tracks we frequent.

FWIW, unless BT says otherwise, I think we should limit access to the stickers to members only.

I hope everyone enjoys having the official HWFMR logo on their car.

Mike
Old 02-20-2008, 06:14 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doesn't sound good. Does someone have a file that I can take to the local print shop and have my own made? It would be expensive but much cheaper than fixing my car every race.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
Doesn't sound good. Does someone have a file that I can take to the local print shop and have my own made? It would be expensive but much cheaper than fixing my car every race.
Jim, I ordered mine and finally got them about 30+ days later, after calling the fellow and encouraging him to get 'er done.

I think Mike controls the proliferation of the logo/artwork, as he should, and maybe he would entertain allowing Food Angles main squeeze, Dr. Jupeman, lose with the file?
Old 02-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I might be able to do something about getting stickers. If Mike can send me the file (bonni at weatherwax dot net), I can just have say, fifty of them made up. Then I can ship them out to whoever wants them . . . charge would be whatever I get charged plus shipping. But first I need the file.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this a few years ago and had stickers printed on cling vinyl at the local sign shop (FastSigns) and also had the West Coast banner printed. I have the art work if Mike provides the permission to send it.
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2008, 07:04 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Mike, Bonnie, PM coming with info you will want.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Jim, I remember that weekend. I fondly recall smokin' you in every session, lapping you in the race and beating you in cards. Oh wait, that was one of my drug induced dreams.... Seems like yesterday when we were a couiple of rookies in our 1st club race weekend (I still drive like that weekend)
Check your pm buddy!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:12 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eric in Chicago
Jim, I remember that weekend. I fondly recall smokin' you in every session, lapping you in the race and beating you in cards. Oh wait, that was one of my drug induced dreams.... Seems like yesterday when we were a couiple of rookies in our 1st club race weekend (I still drive like that weekend)
Check your pm buddy!
Eric,
I don't remember either of us lapping anybody but good luck with your rehab. As I recall Greg and Bill made us look pretty bad in C. I think the only guy crazier than me racing a 996 was you in your cab.

Are you racing mostly NASA again this year?
Jim

Quick Reply: Never Neglect Your Turtle!