Helmet Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Help

I probably should post this on the racers forum, but I know you all a lot better than most of the folks over there. My helmet is thrashed, even though it is an SA-2000. I’m thinking to upgrade to something of more quality, but preferably under $400 (and hopefully Hans ready). Any suggestions as to vendors? Thanks!
Old 01-19-2008, 08:36 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm not sure if you're looking for recommendations on a specific helmet, or on who to buy from. I think it's best to buy from someone local so you can check the fit. There are substantial variations in how they each feel. So I can't recommend who to buy from, or for that matter what helmet will feel best. As far as something meeting your price point, I bought the Simpson Voyager, & find it very comfortable. Not sure about HANS compatibility.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks, Mike. I already know my head size, so fitment is not so much of a problem (I've been driving / racing on the track for over ten years now). I was just hoping to find a good online vendor for say, a Pyrotec, Bell, or such. My most recent helmet was a G-Force -- not a helmet that lasted very long. I've had it for about seven years and it is absolutely trashed. Of course, I probably use it too much, lol. I've tried on Bells and Pyrotecs, so already have that all down. I was just hoping to find a URL of a decent vendor. I have looked at the Simpson Voyager as well, and I don't like it that it does not seem to be the right shape for my noggin. The Hans thing sometimes comes on Pyrotecs and Bells, which is why I'm leaning in that direction. The place most local to me has a very small selection, and none are one I really trust (off-brands, like the helmet I currently use). There is a Bell/Pyrotec in the area -- but it's in Oakland -- a place I'm kind of afraid to travel to without a hand gun, lol.

Anyway, thanks.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bonni, some really great people to deal with can be found at Stable Energies, www.stableenergies.com. They ship all over the Country, and often out of the Country. Bob Kakascic and his daughter Laurette own/run the place, and are very easy to deal with. They are also friends of mine.

I'm with The Globester about trying them on, but if you have done so and know what you want, they are a Bell dealer, amongst other brands. Tell them I sent you and that you want the PCA discount.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:17 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my Bell M2 from Apex Performance. http://www.apexperformance.net/ Good people to deal with and a Rennlist site sponsor. It's Hans compatible and has a large opening which makes it easy for glasses wearers. I just used their sizing chart and it fits perfectly.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You should get a helmet from me I'll take care of ya. Try them on locally and I'll send you what you want.

Not a lot of the helmets come predrilled from the factory for HANS. ARAI helmets do but they are bit above the 400 you are looking for. It's really easy to get the HANS clips installed though. You can do it at home if you have a drill. The instructions are very good.

--cooleyjb
Old 01-20-2008, 01:21 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deep_uv
I bought my Bell M2 from Apex Performance. http://www.apexperformance.net/ Good people to deal with and a Rennlist site sponsor. It's Hans compatible and has a large opening which makes it easy for glasses wearers. I just used their sizing chart and it fits perfectly.
+1 on Apex. I've had good luck with them and they will give you a 10% rennlist discount for the asking. I'm using a G-Force helmet from them that was a bargain.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I like my Bell M3. If I had to do it over, I would get the M2 with the larger facial opening. Be careful about sizing though, I tried on many, many, many helmets and I was not the same size across the board. In fact, with some helmets I couldn't really even get them on in the size Bell that I eventually bought. Another thing to consider is how the interior padding is fitted in. If you do a lot of instruction, you might find that some are more friendly with inserting ear pieces and microphones in the interior.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:45 AM
DaveM993
Drifting

+2 on Apex. I got a Bell M3Extra.

I'z got a big head.

(Also, almost any helmet can be made Hans Ready. The anchor installation is pretty straight forward.)
Old 01-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

You folks have been absolutely AWESOME, as usual!!! THANKS!!! I just KNEW I would get great responses here. But perhaps a little to quick for this particular section of Rennlist? Lol. Love you folks(and know I am gonna get heck over that one, but oh well).
Old 01-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveM993
+2 on Apex. I got a Bell M3Extra.

I'z got a big head.

(Also, almost any helmet can be made Hans Ready. The anchor installation is pretty straight forward.)
+1 on the Bell M3Extra. That is the one I bought last year from Stable Energies. I would like a larger eye port, but there is not a lot of choice in size 8 1/2.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're looking at Bell and want the big eyeports the ones with Shield 280 is their big one. I know the M4 has them as well as the BR1 (you can get the BR1 with forced air for the toasty warm summer races in Florida)
Old 01-20-2008, 12:20 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Bonni, one word of advice when selecting a helmet to be worn with a Hans device; check the fit while wearing your suit and the hans. I have a Bell and found that with the Hans I had to remove the Hans pads because it set too high on my shoulders which caused the helmet to move up on my head to the point of covering my eyes. Neck length is the issue. My next helmet will be an Aria becasue the backs are shorter so they don't cause the issue. I perfer to wear the pads, not required for proper function but much more comfortable.

Quick Reply: Helmet Help