Notices

At the track with new camera

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:42 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Didn't mean to down play the seriousness of sliding sideways off of any track, and I realize there are barriers at every track. It is just that I'm used to running Watkins Glen 5+ times a year, so your tracks look like heaven! I likely can't post video of The Glen, but maybe some else does have some?
Don't get me wrong either, I totally agree 100%. I've seen the Glen and Lime Rock videos and it's no comparison to the wide open spaces we have. I'd be scared to death of all that armco. TWS kind of lulls you into a sense of comfort until you go off out there and see all those rocks, ruts and ditches that you can't see from the track.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
Don't get me wrong either, I totally agree 100%. I've seen the Glen and Lime Rock videos and it's no comparison to the wide open spaces we have. I'd be scared to death of all that armco. TWS kind of lulls you into a sense of comfort until you go off out there and see all those rocks, ruts and ditches that you can't see from the track.
Understood. Young Apex Rex, as discussed above, simply drove fairly straight off at Pocono, one of our few tracks with some open spaces (infield inside a NASCAR tri-oval).....and promptly became airborne in a 996. Another friend went straight off at the same track, different turn and ripped up his suspension.

The winner in our region is a guy who some years ago took out, I'm talking exploded, a Port-A-John at Pocono after mowing the grass for a while. Now that is close to a "10"!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:40 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

The winner in our region is a guy who some years ago took out, I'm talking exploded, a Port-A-John at Pocono after mowing the grass for a while. Now that is close to a "10"!

Talk about code brown!

No question at all that the Texas tracks at least appear much more benign than some of the tracks I've seen videos of in the NE. Walls, armco, tire wall,... I'll pass on that thanks. We're pretty spoiled down here. Oh yeah, and we're droving in the middle of winter too. Yup, it sucks to live in Texas. I've certainly seen more beautiful tracks than TWS as far as scenery though.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mglobe

Talk about code brown!

No question at all that the Texas tracks at least appear much more benign than some of the tracks I've seen videos of in the NE. Walls, armco, tire wall,... I'll pass on that thanks. We're pretty spoiled down here. Oh yeah, and we're droving in the middle of winter too. Yup, it sucks to live in Texas. I've certainly seen more beautiful tracks than TWS as far as scenery though.
Oh stop it! I'll check with you in July and August.............

BTW, I have a video from a few years ago in a stock (well sort of) 993 at Watkins Glen, but not sure how to post it. I would send it to a volunteer who knows how to do so if there is one willing to do so.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Food Angel
Off-Topic Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You go even further back, and you could remember the guy who went off at Bridgehampton over the sand dune....you couldn't see him from the track at all.

For a minute I thought you were telling the Watkins Glen port-a-potty story of when a fellow Rennlister pulled a muscle in his back taking a poo...
Old 01-16-2008, 10:03 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Oh stop it! I'll check with you in July and August.............

BTW, I have a video from a few years ago in a stock (well sort of) 993 at Watkins Glen, but not sure how to post it. I would send it to a volunteer who knows how to do so if there is one willing to do so.
If it's not too big to email, send it to me, & I'll post it. mglobe@swbell.net

At least in August we don't need to warm up our tires.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 822 Posts

The Glen is my all time favorite track.

A friend of mine took out--demolished--the corner worker outhouse between T12 & T13 at TWS a few years back. It was epic. Not so good for his car, though.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Food Angel
You go even further back, and you could remember the guy who went off at Bridgehampton over the sand dune....you couldn't see him from the track at all.

Ah yes, the good Dr. I believe! I'm told he looked like Lawrence of Arabia coming up over the sand dune as he reappeared on foot.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:39 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If it's not too big to email, send it to me, & I'll post it. mglobe@swbell.net

At least in August we don't need to warm up our tires.
I tried to email the file and it is too large. Don't have a way to edit it to a smaller size, at least that I know about.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:22 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Try using vimeo (www.vimeo.com) . You will have to create an account, but its free & talkes little time. After that, uploading a video takes very little skill. Hell I bet even VR could do it.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 822 Posts

Hell I bet even VR could do it.
Unpossible.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Try using vimeo (www.vimeo.com) . You will have to create an account, but its free & talkes little time. After that, uploading a video takes very little skill. Hell I bet even VR could do it.
OK, will do. I have tried uploading it to YouTube, but it just sits there saying "uploading" forever.

It would be good to be able to edit out the first 7-8 mins as I had to start the camera before climbing into the car back before I had a remote working. Very exciting footage of me buckling in and sitting in staging!
Old 01-16-2008, 11:37 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

OK, will do. I have tried uploading it to YouTube, but it just sits there saying "uploading" forever.

It would be good to be able to edit out the first 7-8 mins as I had to start the camera before climbing into the car back before I had a remote working. Very exciting footage of me buckling in and sitting in staging!
If you want to post it to vimeo & email the link to me, I'll download it & edit out the boring stuff, & then repost it. It might take me a few days to get to it.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If you want to post it to vimeo & email the link to me, I'll download it & edit out the boring stuff, & then repost it. It might take me a few days to get to it.
PM sent.

Quick Reply: At the track with new camera