Are some cars prima donnas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:39 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Are some cars prima donnas?

Every time I go to the track, mine reminds me that it's better than me.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

See, mine usually yawns at me, and forgives me A LOT. It's like it's saying, "yeah, you just let me know when you figure out what you're doing in there, and then I'll wake up."
Old 11-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine seems to laugh a lot!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:43 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an older 911 that's a little less forgiving than you high falutin' 997 guys with cars that all but drive themselves. My car is a moody bastard. My car says "So, you think you're ready to play around with trail braking, Junior? Well hang on, cause I'm gonna bitch slap you backwards off the track so fast you'll show a little more respect for me next time! You'll trail brake when I say you're ready to trail brake."
Old 11-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TR6
I have an older 911 that's a little less forgiving than you high falutin' 997 guys with cars that all but drive themselves. My car is a moody bastard. My car says "So, you think you're ready to play around with trail braking, Junior? Well hang on, cause I'm gonna bitch slap you backwards off the track so fast you'll show a little more respect for me next time! You'll trail brake when I say you're ready to trail brake."
'93 won't get you in the "older" 911 handling rodeo! I began on a short wheelbase '68, then a '69 and several early '70s. The '68 could oversteer in a quick lane change when stock!
Old 11-05-2007, 03:19 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

mine is DEFINITELY the car incarnate of angelina Jolie...she give and takes it pretty rough...Its a great relationship we have...

She tells me that theres a bit of discomfort (read small small grind) btw 3rd and 4th...I "tell" her (read, dont listen) and show her that shes just fine...wouldnt you know, it stopped 5-6 laps before the end of the race...

She did cut off my ABS though when I prodded her a bit too hard...dirty woman did it right in the middle of braking for the caroussell at summit...
Old 11-05-2007, 03:36 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
'93 won't get you in the "older" 911 handling rodeo! I began on a short wheelbase '68, then a '69 and several early '70s. The '68 could oversteer in a quick lane change when stock!
And you had to drive to school in the snow... up hill.... both ways....
Old 11-05-2007, 07:42 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3Pete
And you had to drive to school in the snow... up hill.... both ways....
Don't be rediculous, Model A's couldn't make it up hill in the snow. Bull walked to school. Of course it was up hill both ways.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:40 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Asking for a serious "bitch-slap" is trail-braking in an '81 SC! Then there is the 915 transmission. Mine always says, "Maybe I'll let you select the correct gear--or not!".
Old 11-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mglobe
Don't be rediculous, Model A's couldn't make it up hill in the snow. Bull walked to school. Of course it was up hill both ways.
School? School??????

Don't F with me you old FART! I'm on Percocets and armed!.......

Regarding VIR in 4 F'ng days:

Unfortunately, I may be a late scratch from this event . Today at the dealership, where the new tenants in the service area are completely renovating it, a guy put rubber treads on the wooden stairs with enough glue to float them. He did not post a sign however, and two minutes after he was done I started down the stairs. I was able to prove once again that man CAN fly...he just sucks at landing. Anyway, a stylish backboard, neck brace, head restraint and a trip to Morristown Memorial followed. Several hours later the good news was that nothing was broken (I did actually break one of the solid wood stairs), and there is some deep muscle bruising, contusions, a possible hematomas, and all of those other fun Doc words. I'm home and on Percocets. I had to eat dinner standing up, and am typing laying down.

So, I'm on IR day-to-day status for VIR. I'm not certain which will be the bigger challenge; the 8 hour drive on Thursday, or sneaking past my wife....
Old 11-05-2007, 10:52 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Holy crap Bob, I'm glad to hear it didn't turn out any worse than that. Pity if you miss VIR, but thank God nothing is broken.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mglobe
Holy crap Bob, I'm glad to hear it didn't turn out any worse than that. Pity if you miss VIR, but thank God nothing is broken.
Thanks. You can't get a half German - half Irish guy that easily!

Somewhere at the apogee (isn't that a fun word?) of my flight, I realized that levitation was unlikely and thought "forearms and shoulders back, head up NOW"
Old 11-06-2007, 07:04 AM
jester911
Drifting

Bob, sorry to read about your accident. Good to hear nothing was broken.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:21 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Bob, So sorry to about your Humpty Dumpty move. I (seriously) hope you are well soon.

What inquiring minds really want to know is; were you slow enough on the way down to maintain your HWFM membership? Did you hit your apexes or just your ***? And as always these tales of off track excursions must be accompanied with video. :

Can you all hear the generator running? Getting ready to generate random or maybe not so random excuses. J/K Be well.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:20 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks guys, I'm better than I expected this morning. At least my wife waited a about 3 hours, assuring herself that I was telling the truth about my condition, before she asked if they checked for a concussion since I had landed on my ***! Don't you just hate young smart-asses like her???? She did say that she was resigned to the fact that I was going to get to VIR "somehow", even if I didn't drive all available runs.

Randy, sorry no video, as the usual PR film crew that accompanies me throughout my normal day was on a lunch break. It would be good to see my bus partner's face when he heard the crack of the wooden stair and thought it was some part of me. As for speed of decent on the stairs, it was actually quite fast....but I do have an excuse, of course. You see, the huge amount of glue that was used for the stair treads, everyone of which I took with me to the bottom, caused me to accelerate as I went feet first toward the bottom. Shot out the bottom like a rhinoceros trying out a log flume slide at Six Flags I suspect. Anyway, the wet carpet glue is my excuse, and the speed was aided by an illegal substance and doesn't count! Getting me unglued from the back board after they let me sit on the gurney for a while at the Hospital was also a laugh-a-minute situation.

Anyone know where I can get one of those periscopes we had as kids...so I can still instruct my friend at VIR while lying down in his 996 TT?

Quick Reply: Are some cars prima donnas?