Notices

A short story only you folks could appreciate...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:57 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default A short story only you folks could appreciate...

Forgive me as I am an occassional lurker and in no way qualified to belong to such an asteemed group but I thought you might be able to relate to my recent experience.

I bought a Traqmate setup in the group buy a few months ago and have been furiously trying to get the darned thing to work. Everytime I think I have it figured out and take it to the track it does not perform as I had hoped. (I seem to be having more of these types of problems but that's another story..)

Anyway, I went to Road Atlanta for the first time last weekend and had all my data entered and the procedure written out on painters tape stuck to the dash of the car in big letters so it would be easy to do or so I thought.

I'm sitting on the grid and start pressing all the buttons and I think everythings fine. Since this was my first time to RA I asked for an instructor and was not paying attention to what the traqmate was doing other than it looked like it was working.

I then proceded to replicate this procedure for the remainder of my sessions with the blind belief that i had finally figured it out.

I get home Sunday night and hook it up to the PC and find that I have only one session recorded! Well that's better than nothing right?...

I start to play the session which is about 25 minutes long and nothing is happening! It is recording me sitting on the grid for a full 15 or 16 minutes!

Eventually we get on the track but the only two laps that are recorded are under yellow so my top speed is 53 MPH!

To rub salt in the wound the track analysis map shows me coasting for about 90% of the lap!

I just thought I'd share another HWFM moment.

BTW, if anyone out there could shed some light on how to operate this dam thing please PM me otherwise I'm going to sell it!
Old 10-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You sure that wasn't just one of your normal sessions??????

Seriously, data? The only data I worry about is how many brats and beers I have in the cooler! Maybe our official Timekeeper can assist you. He currently is working on perfecting a series of mirrors that, when set up properly, allow a drover to read the HWFMR sundial at the completion of each lap.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:18 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Come to think of it it may have been my best time of the weekend! As I was shown coasting down T12 and onto the front straight I would probably have time to read the sundial...hhmmm
Old 10-30-2007, 05:28 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bull
Maybe our official Timekeeper can assist you. He currently is working on perfecting a series of mirrors that, when set up properly, allow a drover to read the HWFMR sundial at the completion of each lap.
Here is the dash top version of the HWFMR lap timer...
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2007, 05:31 PM
TR6
Drifting

And of course, for the racer on the go, the portable wrist version....
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2007, 05:51 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

My friend got so bored waiting for me to finish the run he just shriveled up to nothing...
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2007, 06:18 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eddie, If I knew you going to be here I would have looked you up. We would have done beers, (slowly). I could have got someone with one of the units to look at yours and figure it out. Hope you had fun. The weather was the best it gets down here.

Don't sell it! But if you do, PM me.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:15 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Here is the dash top version of the HWFMR lap timer...
Is it possible to replace my sport chrono with that?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent job Official Time Keeper!!!! What a most valuable set of posts!!! One free hot lap dance for you!!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:51 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Excellent job Official Time Keeper!!!! What a most valuable set of posts!!! One free hot lap dance for you!!
WOOO HOOO!!!!! I love the perks in this job! They are... ummm... perky....
Old 10-30-2007, 07:55 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,051 Posts

I can see it now in Smlporsche's signiture:

HWFMR Director of Techology/IT expert --
no matter how good the equipment, the data shows I'm coasting 90% of the time
Old 10-30-2007, 08:21 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Eddie, If I knew you going to be here I would have looked you up. We would have done beers, (slowly). I could have got someone with one of the units to look at yours and figure it out. Hope you had fun. The weather was the best it gets down here.

Don't sell it! But if you do, PM me.
I was just kidding about selling it. I'll just keep banging my head against the wall of knowledge until something cracks...

That was my last event for the year. I'll be at Roebling in Feb if you happen to have it on your calender.

What run group were you in? This isn't you in group 4 is it?
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2007, 08:23 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by M3Pete
I can see it now in Smlporsche's signiture:

HWFMR Director of Techology/IT expert --
no matter how good the equipment, the data shows I'm coasting 90% of the time

I would gladly accept that moniker and wear it proudly!
Old 10-31-2007, 09:16 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Eddie that wasn't me. I am between cars so I was spectating. Salavatings is more like it.

A friend owns the 944 that hit the tire wall between T3 and T4. He loaned the car to a Green/Group 1 driver. Driver's instructor told me, something like, he missed the apex, hit the gator, lost control and spun into the wall. Sounds like a re-tub is in order.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:31 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
No Eddie that wasn't me. I am between cars so I was spectating. Salavatings is more like it.

A friend owns the 944 that hit the tire wall between T3 and T4. He loaned the car to a Green/Group 1 driver. Driver's instructor told me, something like, he missed the apex, hit the gator, lost control and spun into the wall. Sounds like a re-tub is in order.
I know the drover -- he's a friend of mine, but a novice (hence group 1). I learned about this incident when I saw he wasn't running his later morning session on Sunday. His recollection was a little spotty; he was kinda shook up by the event, but from what I was able to decipher: He was going faster than he's used to through 3, missed the apex and realized he'd miss 4 so he lifted off the throttle. Mr. Oversteer met Mr. Spin and introduced everyone else to Mr. Wall.

And Randy, didn't know you'd be there or I would have come looking for you.

Quick Reply: A short story only you folks could appreciate...