Way to take one for the team.
Just doin what I do best!
Old 09-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I can help there Larry. I had to give a point-by to a (oh god do I have to say it) Corvette today.
Clearly, the owner was looking for some direction regarding which way the track flowed, no?
Old 09-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I passed a very slow NSX the other day at the track . . . I wish I had an HWFMR biz card to give to this potential candidate. I think he didn't realize what the far right pedal was for. I felt so guilty.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:13 PM
jester911
Drifting

That reminds me of last weekend at Roebling for DE. My boss was driving in the beginner group and got hung up behind a really slow driver that was not giving point bys and he said they were topping out at a whopping 75 mph on the front straight. They probably drove to the track faster than that.

Fortunately for him he got moved up to the next group.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

I think this was a case of a guy new to the NSX and afraid of wrecking an expensive car. He did get better over the coarse of the day, but I could not believe how slow he was in the mid-morning session. Wow. I went over to let him know that I was an instructor and would be glad to help if he needed it, only to find he already had someone in the car with him. I remember commenting that if I had a car that nice I might take it slow, too! I'm not an Acura fan, but those NSX's are pretty cool.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:59 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Back to Der Mond's point - I think the Red Lantern comes from the Tour de France - the last rider on GC (general classification- overall time) is given the "Lantern Rouge" (bad French spelling) or Red Lantern - as Der Mond says; the lantern on the end of the caboose.
It's both a poke and a compliment; yeah, you're last, but you're still in the race, while others have climbed off their bikes and into the broom wagen (last van that "sweeps" the course).
As expected, my car is sponsored by "Lantern Rouge Racing."
Old 09-23-2007, 10:12 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts

Just for clarification, the vette that passed me was a 2007 C6 Z06, and I'm only in an 06 C2S. Big horsepower advantage to the Vette. Oh yeah, and my back was really hurting too. But while I did my best to perpetuate the HWFMR reputation (and I have to say it was pretty painful, I HATE being passed by corvettes), I also have to point out (ok, brag) that one of my fellow classmates told me that after I passed him, his instructor actually told him to try to follow my line. (as opposed to don't pay attention to whatever the hell THAT guy is doing).

I had a great time at MSR. The course is very challenging, and it took me a while to learn the basic DE line, but I did get there ultimately. Four weeks and counting till TWS...
Old 09-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Reiter Jr
Banned

Location: Aston Martin ALMS went airborne off the track and "flew" 142 feet before landing off the track in the dirt.

Nsx is a sexy car o0o

Quick Reply: Driving Lights