Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:57 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off (to) the track this weekend.

A Midwest Council race at Road America this weekend. 2 races. Grouped with Atlantics, down to Club Formula Ford. Should be a bit more fun than my last race up there. And I won't be in the slowest class in the run group for once. So even fewer excuses.

There will be a brand new Stohr F1000 up there. The thing looks like pure sex. It's possibly prettier than any current formula car right now.

Weather looks to be nice, sunny and 70's both days. Maybe this time I'll get some good shots of the car and tow rig for people. It has some new stickers on it to make it go even faster.

Last edited by cooleyjb; 09-20-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:03 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OOOOOoooooo

good luck up there! I cant remember, but do you have a good video setup now? If so remember to post the video.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck, have a big time, and remember, you can't have too many go fast stickers!
Old 09-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Kick some butt!
Old 09-20-2007, 01:35 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
OOOOOoooooo

good luck up there! I cant remember, but do you have a good video setup now? If so remember to post the video.
I have a chasecam setup now. It had the simplest self contained setup, and I didn't want to tie into the cars electrical system. I'll post video when I get back. Now I just need to remember to turn it on this weekend.

As long as it looks good.

My goal this weekend is to nail down my line going into 14 and 3. I gave up a lot of exit speed at those corners and since they go onto some big long straights they are sorta important. Never did those well last time. Also the carousel. The top guys are running it flat out from turn 8 to Canada Corner. I'm nowhere near that in the carousel, but will slowly work my way up to it.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 869 Posts

Your subject line should say "Off the track this weekend" if you wanna stay in HWFMR....
Old 09-20-2007, 05:01 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh ****. I was just thinking the same thing as VR...
Old 09-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 869 Posts

Sweet.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:54 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Saturday race 38 cars in group

Started 15, finsihed 10th, 4th in class.

Sunday race 37 cars

Started 14, finished 9th, 3rd in class

Favorite move of the race was Sat. Entered the carousel on teh outside passing one car, going inside to pass another, going outside to pass a thrid and then bringing the car back to the apex and a great run to the kink.

Video SUCKS. For some reason the quality is horrible. I'll get some uploaded when I get a chance and maybe more in depth info on the races.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:57 AM
jester911
Drifting

Way to go Joe.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:42 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Congrats Joe. Nice showing. Posts the pix of the car and rig. I would really like to see your colors.

Thx
Old 09-24-2007, 04:38 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats on the finishes joe!!! sounds like you had a blast!
Old 09-24-2007, 06:00 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Racing was lots of fun.

I had a lot of fun with the F1000. He qualified a bit faster than me both days but by the end of the first lap I'd be right behind him. He'd pull me pretty well on the straights so I had the pleasure of outbraking him. Took me a couple of laps both times to figure out his tendencies but both passes were a blast because they were hard earned, deep braking at the end of the back straight going into Canada Corner. I stayed ahead of him both days for the first half of the race and then on race 1, one of the Formula Atlantics had some electrical issues for a lap or two and fell back to us (nothing like motoring past an Atlantic in an old Continental). Once the Atlantic got back up to speed I pulled over and let them by since they were fighting within their class. On the second day we had such a big gap on those behind us and a big gap on those in front of us I got bored leading him through the turns and taking him deep into the corners so I waved him by and followed him for a while. He caught some lap traffic at ideal spots and I didn't so he gapped me about 10 seconds and that was that.

Both races were clean concerning car to car contact. Second race someone locked up the rears going into 5 on the first lap and shot from track left to track right and somehow missed hitting everyone and the wall. He apparently had flat spots you could see from a mile away and pulled in a couple of laps later. A lot of cars spinning into the litter. One guy overheated while waiting for safety, came back on track in front of me and proceeded to cover my car in fluid going through the carousel. His engine gave up going into 14 as I was going inside of him and thankfully he spun to the outside and was okay.

The one thing I can say is a nationally competitve Formula Atlantic is freaking fast. HOLY CRAP they come up on you quick. The blue flags were non-existent on day 2. I was passing a Formula Ford going into the kink and they had no idea I was inside of them, luckily I realized it and got on the brakes in time, I wouldn't have liked the outcome otherwise. Corner 5 never had the blue flag in their hands the entire race according to one of our teams corner watchers.

I'll get the video up once I figure out how to edit the parts out that are while sitting in grid and after the camera stops working.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:08 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Old 09-24-2007, 08:57 PM
jester911
Drifting

Joe those pics are awesome. The first one though with the purple car looks like a helmet with wheels.

Quick Reply: Off (to) the track this weekend.