Notices

Let's have a civil conversation about racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:51 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Joe

I know of E cars, but no F at this time.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
Anybody got a cheap F car rental for RA???? Sounds like a FUN group to run in.
Karl Poeltl from Racer's Edge will sometimes rent his race winning F class 944 S2 when he's not using it. I have no idea what he charges.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Jim

Shawn's fast, Jeff is really quick in his new car, Chris Inglot is getting his new car sorted. Dougie the Arch-Nemisis has been quick, as you know -- I can't wait for Road America

Sounds like fun. I wish I could be there, but work is going to prevent it. So, I guess Fred is getting rid of Mike Courtney's old F car to pick up this G car? I'm not sure I understand that move.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Sent you a PM Jim

Will you be able to make Daytona?
Old 08-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Sent you a PM Jim

Will you be able to make Daytona?
There's no way I'll be able to make Daytona. I'm starting a new job that unfortunately is going to limit my ability to take vacation days for the remainder of the year. As it is its going to be a stretch for me to make NASA Nationals.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When is Daytona? Maybe I'll swing by, or maybe you all can swing by here on your way down.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

October12-14

It's a fun track to drove, Bon

Start looking for your rental now
Old 08-03-2007, 10:26 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

UPS man just brought me a lot of fun toys. A whole pile of Hoosier slicks showed up. A national guy got rid of almost 2 complete sets of 1 heat cycle tires. Woohoo. Now the garage smells funny but I'm set for tires for the rest of the year.

Just switched out the Pi C-dash for an Aim Dash. It will be nice to have a tach at the next race plus it looks like I'm a serious racer with that in the car.

Nextup is finding a incar camera setup. Looking at a dual camera setup that will get me forward and rearward looking setup. Then I'll be able to relive the moments of infamy over an over again.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

UPS man just brought me a lot of fun toys. A whole pile of Hoosier slicks showed up.
***My dear Joe, I have exactly three words for you at this time -- "I HATE YOU." Lol.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:47 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

UPS man just brought me a lot of fun toys. A whole pile of Hoosier slicks showed up. A national guy got rid of almost 2 complete sets of 1 heat cycle tires. Woohoo. Now the garage smells funny but I'm set for tires for the rest of the year.

Just switched out the Pi C-dash for an Aim Dash. It will be nice to have a tach at the next race plus it looks like I'm a serious racer with that in the car.

Nextup is finding a incar camera setup. Looking at a dual camera setup that will get me forward and rearward looking setup. Then I'll be able to relive the moments of infamy over an over again.

I've been very happy with my dual setup; do you have a single-cam setup? For the cost of little more than a second camera (which can be a cheap, low-res $60 one since the rear is less important) and a video quad processor, you can add the multiplexing to your existing setup... examples from my car on Youtube:
http://youtube.com/profile?user=924RACR
Old 08-04-2007, 09:25 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I don't have a setup at all. Right now I am working on figuring out how I want to do the setup. I really like the idea of the Chasecam solid state recorder but is it worth the extra money. Right now I'm leaning towards some quality bullet cams, cheap miniDV camcorder, and a processor and leave myself the ability to upgrade parts of the system. Plus it also has to fit into my car where room is not necessarily plentiful.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:49 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you want small, you may wish to check out the DVR I use; as small as a cigarette case, extremely lightweight (has no battery), etc. Here's the page with all the basics on my setup. Could be duplicated for under ~$300; does have its limitations.
http://www.vaughanscott.com/construction/video_data.htm
Old 08-04-2007, 02:37 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Child
Karl Poeltl from Racer's Edge will sometimes rent his race winning F class 944 S2 when he's not using it. I have no idea what he charges.
He has that car listed for sale.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:58 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by 924RACR
If you want small, you may wish to check out the DVR I use; as small as a cigarette case, extremely lightweight (has no battery), etc. Here's the page with all the basics on my setup. Could be duplicated for under ~$300; does have its limitations.
http://www.vaughanscott.com/construction/video_data.htm

What are the limitations that you have. Is it in the camera itself, the video mixer or the data/video recorder.

I have watched the videos you've posted but with the youtube degradation I can't tell how nice they are overall.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:19 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Main limitation is the front camera - it's only 420 lines right now. I intend, eventually, to replace it with a 580 line camera - but then it's $150 instead of $50! Will get there, but I'm too busy wasting all my money on R6's right now! LOL Then I'll take the current, beat-up front camera and put it inside for a 3-camera PIP setup... The recorder records in 640x480, though there are even higher res ones out there.

There is one video of this setup on my homepage, but it's still reduced res for the web:
http://www.vaughanscott.com/videos.htm

Quick Reply: Let's have a civil conversation about racing