Notices

Driftking... yes, he liked my del Sol better than 996 TT...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Bonester" (yes, I noticed the mis-spelling, lol) was at Thunderhill sacrificing my time this past weekend to help with the "Miata Performance Driving School" at Thunderhill here in California. Man, I had quite the mix of students. Everything from a great out-of-the-box type of driver, to a very nervous fellow in a MazdaSpeed Miata (turbo). I definitely had my hands full with seven students! We only had six instructors for our group of about 20 students. Why do I instruct so much? It makes them happy. When I see all those smiles, I too am happy. It's so great when they finally GET IT. Just little stuff like using all of the track, or how to properly unwind the wheel, etc..

The biggest honor was to have a student come back on Sunday and ask me to ride with him again, trying to show me that he'd improved and used my tips. Thanks to the six of us (instructors), there are now 20 Miata drivers on the road that will be much safer and happier in the future. That and I put in a shameless plug for T.E.A.M. Racing events, of course.

So that's where I was . . . should have probably stayed home and worked on the racecar, but this was more fun.

On a side note, there was a drifting event in another part of the paddock. Yuck. Too noisy. And none of them knew what they were doing. BORING.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a busy weekend! Hope you found some new customers too.

Drifting was invented by those who can't drive correctly....they decided to make a competition out of the F'ups!
Old 03-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, I'm sure we picked up a few new customers. I put out about 20 biz cards and they all disappeared. This was more of a technical school, where we had paddock exercizes (skid pad, slalom, and threshold braking), a passing school (side-by-side driving and passing in turns), and the track was split into two sections where chicanes and technical additons were coned-off. I am sure that any of the students that took the course will make better track drivers if they choose to come out to a traditional type of track day.

The drifters drove me nuts. I was in a car with my student out on track and heard all the squeeling, but I temporarily forgot about the drifters. I told him to slow way down as I thought there might be someone spun-out over the blind hill we were taking. He laughed and said, "I think that's just the drifters." Doh! He was absolutely correct. I don't like all that noise! It really messed with my head. Sad thing is, they are going to be out there at two of our events coming up in August and September. I felt cheated by the track when they decided to let those guys in. Nothing I can do, though. I don't own the place .. I just rent it.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That would be distracting! My first time at the Shenendoah Circuit at Summit Point i had a difficult time concentrating due to the outdoor firing range for the Gov't agent training facility being right inside one of the turns. Nothing like live fire exercises with automatic weapons, large bore and small, to distract you, particularly if you have been fired on in the past........
Old 03-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

There's actually a sportsman's club next door, and they hunt out near the track. They have duck season, pheasant season, and I believe dove season out there. The track sits among thousands of acres of old pasture (the track actually leases the property). The bad thing about it is that the critters walk away from the hunters, right toward the track! I once put the brakes on pretty hard to avoid hitting a stupid pheasant that decided to take a stroll across the track in one of the fastest stretches (between turns 6-8). But the hunters aren't nearly as distracting as those dang drifters.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:43 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Originally Posted by Jim Child
So then it doesn't really mean anything, does it?
Not to you perhaps. But it simply means that my car handles really well. In another word, overall it has excellent balance. Not just in handling, but well matched braking and acceleration. Getting such high ratings from a professional driver that's [arguable] one of the best known drivers int he world.

Why would I do that? I already have a full schedule of W2W races this year. Each of them give me an opportunity to run against the clock. Its called qualifying. Running against the clock doesn't appeal to me unless I get to race afterward.
Because no body else care about your 968 otherwise. If you can make 968 kick *** and post some serious lap times it might make people become aware how good the 968 platform is.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:46 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Originally Posted by Bull
Sounds like a busy weekend! Hope you found some new customers too.

Drifting was invented by those who can't drive correctly....they decided to make a competition out of the F'ups!
Tell that to SCCA. Drifting has taken over the world globally. It is one of the fastest growing segments in motorsports. Ask any kids if they know drifting and they probably have seen Fast and Furious 3 aka Tokyo Drift (I havent' seen it myself, I can't stand the F&F franchise). The new movie call Redline is going to be a bunch of exotics getting sideways, aka drifting.

You have no idea what drifting is, that's why you can't appreciate it. And you probably will never have enough talent to be a good drifter. If you open you mind you might be able to learn something from drifting.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:59 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by GhettoRacer
Because no body else care about your 968 otherwise. If you can make 968 kick *** and post some serious lap times it might make people become aware how good the 968 platform is.

Maybe someone could point him to the 968 Turbo S or the guys who are racing them with the turbos. Those are some serious cars that are fun to watch.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You have no idea what drifting is, that's why you can't appreciate it. And you probably will never have enough talent to be a good drifter. If you open you mind you might be able to learn something from drifting.
Come on Dung, do us all a favor and get some new tapes to endlessly play! Drifting is for LOSERS...YOU ARE A LOSER...so stick with it Dung.

BTW, when those kids grow up and want to participate in real RACING, they will leave drifting in the dust....and they will do it far before they become a 30 something has been like you, trying to impress 17 year old kids!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:06 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

I bet any top 16 drifter at Formula D will smoke your *** in road racing. You have no clue how much talents the pro drifters have...
Old 03-26-2007, 08:07 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Ohh, and I will smoke you in any car. Whenever you want to race for $ hit me up. I'll donate the winnings to charity. $1000/sec. Any car.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ohh, and I will smoke you in any car. Whenever you want to race for $ hit me up. I'll donate the winnings to charity. $1000/sec. Any car.
OK, here is endless loop tape number 3 from DUMB DUNG. I actually believe that he is a high-tech dummy sitting on a person's knee, with a tape plugged in every time a response is needed. Can he become any more of a LOSER? Any of you guys have a count of how many hollow "challenges" Dung Brains has issued, then never followed through on and tried to forget????

Here we go again....tell me where and when you will actually show up at ANY track, and I will fly in to meet you and any car you can get to run that day, Dung Pile!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Wanna borrow my SM Bob?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Not to you perhaps. But it simply means that my car handles really well. In another word, overall it has excellent balance. Not just in handling, but well matched braking and acceleration. Getting such high ratings from a professional driver that's [arguable] one of the best known drivers int he world.
But if it doesn't translate to results then what good is it?

I had 8 W2W class victories in a 968 last year. Anyone who is paying attention knows that the 968 is competitive in the classes where it races. Unlike you, my lap times are readily available on Mylaps, so I don't feel the need to post all of them up.

I find it laughable that you think Time Attack results would raise the profile of the 968. But even if that were true it wouldn't be worth me wasting my time at a Time Attack when I could be W2W racing instead.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:25 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Originally Posted by Bull
OK, here is endless loop tape number 3 from DUMB DUNG. I actually believe that he is a high-tech dummy sitting on a person's knee, with a tape plugged in every time a response is needed. Can he become any more of a LOSER? Any of you guys have a count of how many hollow "challenges" Dung Brains has issued, then never followed through on and tried to forget????

Here we go again....tell me where and when you will actually show up at ANY track, and I will fly in to meet you and any car you can get to run that day, Dung Pile!
Ok, please be at Buttonwillow on April 28. Did Bonni just offered her SM?!?!

Quick Reply: Driftking... yes, he liked my del Sol better than 996 TT...