Notices

An honest question for Frank

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 12:27 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Bob

I think we can build a sitcom around your past marriages, and your encounters with your exes.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:32 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GhettoRacer
It is SUPER hard to become a pro. I have no illusions about that.
Ok, hold that thought.

Couple guys who I know have super talent - ie, Marc Kirberg, Ken Dobson... both top drivers from the Bay Area, they did WC for 1 or 2 years tops. Heck, Marc goot rookie of the year in 2002 and finished 3rd. I don't even recall he got a ride in 2003...
Exactly. Rides do not just come to you. You have to be a winner, and then they may still not come...

However, I also understand it takes a bit more of talent to be a pro. It's what you bring to the table, how marketable you are.
Absolutely. You have to be a proven winner, and then be unique enough to set you apart from the rest. Then you have to market yourself.

I think I have a decent enough talent to try to go pro, and I'm unique enough to be fairly marketable (in my own opinion of course).
Back to this again? And we were making such progress. You have to prove that you are capable of winning, and you have done nothing of the sort. The rides are not waiting for you, because no matter how much you feel that you can promote yourself, you still cannot answer the question that everyone will ask you, the question that makes a sponser want you to promote their product....what have you won?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:38 AM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patience Larry. I have lots of it. Don't forget that, science has proven that it is possible for humans to live to 160 years old (in theory). Also, many production car racers race well into their 40's and 50's. My side bet with Greg is simply to turn pro before I'm 40. I want to have all my ducts in the row before I push for everything... I'm doing a lot of physical training of late... the power of the human body is almost unlimited. The more you train the better you get. And I've barely started in that aspect. I'm more fit than I ever was (I never really trained consistently in the past).
Old 03-15-2007, 07:21 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Patience Larry. I have lots of it. Don't forget that, science has proven that it is possible for humans to live to 160 years old (in theory). Also, many production car racers race well into their 40's and 50's. My side bet with Greg is simply to turn pro before I'm 40. I want to have all my ducts in the row before I push for everything... I'm doing a lot of physical training of late... the power of the human body is almost unlimited. The more you train the better you get. And I've barely started in that aspect. I'm more fit than I ever was (I never really trained consistently in the past).
I am not sure I understand. Are you planning on starting a career in HVAC manufacturing/repair to fund the racing effort?
Old 03-15-2007, 07:49 AM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

haha... HVAC indeed. lol.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:36 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I am not sure I understand. Are you planning on starting a career in HVAC manufacturing/repair to fund the racing effort?

Nice one TD
Old 03-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Frank . . . you cannot become a pro racer with just training outside of the car. It is ALL about SEAT TIME. Period. I've had TONS of seat time, and even placed half way decent in a pro race up in Portland a couple of years ago. Believe me -- it takes LOTS of seat time. I know Ken Dobson by the way. Nice guy . . . outstanding racer. I'll have to look him up when I go to Florida next month. Last I saw him was at the double regionals last year at Laguna, in a Barry Hartzel SM. Man, that little booger is fast!
Old 03-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Nathan Muir
Advanced

He did not get it TD. BTW HVAC and droving go well together, as Flit can use the $ earned to pay for the ride. WC is a pay to play deal for most drovers anyway.

I love it. Unlimited power from the human body. This is the key to the GR "mind". Internet sock monkey thinks all you need to do is think it enough and you can do it. All he does is "think" or wish stuff and then knocks on people that do things and try and direct him likewise. How long would the list of things he has said he is GOING to do? Remove the items he has done from it and it is still as long.

It takes a certain someone to be stupid enough to want this kind of attention and just smart enough fo his tormentors to not feel like they are picking on the kid on the short bus with the helmet on.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:02 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nathan Muir
He did not get it TD. BTW HVAC and droving go well together, I know.
I amused myself on numerous levels with that comment, and I had you and Don W. in mind . . .

I also made it in response to this little ironic jewel:

Originally Posted by Bull
I'm really sorry that there is nothing going on there when you wake your useless *** up Dung. You should do something about that! What is the matter....don't tell me the Japanese don't except your heritage......
it's accept, not except... stupid *** bull****.
But . . . the more I think about it, the more I wonder what he had in mind . . . professional pipe cleaner perhaps?

OK, but back to more serious topics . . . when I read GR's writings, I understand the "impulse" behind much of it, but I do not understand where GR allows this impulse to go. I also do not understand why GR seemingly has no respect for the advice/experience of others. Intelligence (I am giving the benefit of the doubt here) is nothing without experience. Listening and humility is one shortcut to maximizing the benefit of the limited experience newbies have. 200, even 300, driving days is NOTHING. That is probably the amount of driving that serious drivers get in one year or less.

In any event, I thought that many asian cultures respected elders. Why doesn't GR? In the end, I am shocked that GR is 33. If I didn't know, I would have guessed 17 . . . really. It is fine to be a dreamer. In fact, more people should be. But dreams without action are nothing. In fact, they are worse than nothing. At least write a book . . . or do something. Even if it is theoretically possible to live to 160, I doubt you make it to 70.

Originally Posted by Nathan Muir
It takes a certain someone to be stupid enough to want this kind of attention and just smart enough fo his tormentors to not feel like they are picking on the kid on the short bus with the helmet on.
I am beginning to feel like we are picking on the kid . . . FWIW.
Attached Images  

Last edited by TD in DC; 03-15-2007 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Bob

I think we can build a sitcom around your past marriages, and your encounters with your exes.

I have the script right here...
Old 03-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
You will need to explain it to Dung.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:20 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

TD - the problem is that GR has trouble distinguishing between his fantasy world and reality. He has managed to create his own little world where he isn't forced to recognize logic and reason. That way, he can make wildly contradictory statements and not have to rationalize the incoherence of what he's saying. You catch him in a contradiction or just an outright lie and he resorts to his "tards/turds" nonsense.

To your point though, it does seems like an unfair fight - but on some level I do believe that GR understands that he is only fooling himself. However, it's his extreme arrogance, narcissism and vainglory that are preventing him from turning this situation from a negative to a positive. Even with all the crap he has spewed here, people like Larry and others have tried to help him but to no avail.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:45 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1957 356
TD - the problem is that GR has trouble distinguishing between his fantasy world and reality. He has managed to create his own little world where he isn't forced to recognize logic and reason. That way, he can make wildly contradictory statements and not have to rationalize the incoherence of what he's saying. You catch him in a contradiction or just an outright lie and he resorts to his "tards/turds" nonsense.

To your point though, it does seems like an unfair fight - but on some level I do believe that GR understands that he is only fooling himself. However, it's his extreme arrogance, narcissism and vainglory that are preventing him from turning this situation from a negative to a positive. Even with all the crap he has spewed here, people like Larry and others have tried to help him but to no avail.
I agree 100%, but, at some point, when it becomes clear that he is unwilling and/or unable to turn his situation from a negative to a positive, is it time to let him flutter in the wind on his own?

Maybe the subtitle for the G-R Forum should be "Lasciate ogni speranza voi ch’intrate"
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 822 Posts

I am leaning towards Todd's position here. It would be even more torturous for the pink-haired poofdah if we all took a break from posting here for a week. It would make his rattle-trap head explode.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

I think it's clear now and has been for some time that GR can't turn this around - he's too far down the rabbit hole. As for leaving him alone, I think that's a decision everyone will make individually. I guess it depends to some degree on anyone's motivation for posting here. GR is going to hang on to this for dear life. He knows that he'll never get this kind of attention anywhere else and will have trouble finding a way to live out his fantasies.

Quick Reply: An honest question for Frank