Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Transmission Failure "Database"

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 07:04 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
Does anyone know about how many cars have now been affected? The info would help when I go into the dealer tomorrow and the spreadsheet on the first post is now seriously out of date.
I doubt that the dealer needs to be told that there is an issue. From my ongoing experience I also doubt that they will acknowledge the known issue.

Let us know if Australia has any better access to a new transmission than the USA. I am at 11 days and waiting and just got told that there will be no new information until next week at the earliest.

Mike
Old 07-19-2017, 08:24 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,089 Likes on 572 Posts

if it happens to mine and it gets to 30 days ill start a lemon law buyback . did it with a audi got their attention and parts all of a suddenly became available. remember the old saying "you oil the squeaky wheel" carl
Old 07-20-2017, 11:49 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

mooty's was on the same boat as orthojoe's
Old 07-20-2017, 03:54 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 73 Posts

mine went last week at heartland park in topeka. same scenario as everyone else. my service adviser is saying it will be mid august before they can get a transmission from germany. my car was a 3/16 build.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:53 AM
mungee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
Mine went this morning. Same as everyone else.
Which dealer did you go to?
Old 08-01-2017, 09:50 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

I sent in a question to Getrag via their contact form to see if they would acknowledge or reply. Nothing but crickets...

http://www.getrag.com/en/company/kontakt/contact.html
Old 08-01-2017, 10:13 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Porsche should be filling out the form. :)
Getrag isn't responsible to the end user.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:28 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
I sent in a question to Getrag via their contact form to see if they would acknowledge or reply. Nothing but crickets...

http://www.getrag.com/en/company/kontakt/contact.html
I did this and posted about it several months ago in this or the other gearbox failure thread. I got an email essentially saying "...go talk to Porsche, we are only a supplier".
Old 08-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Chris Hebert
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
Would be very good to know and have an up to date data base.

Seems like database updates are not happening... and I hesitate to post a new entry. (NeedMoreGarage's new database results in a dead link for me too)

Anyway, I lost 3rd gear last weekend (Aug-6-2017).
  • Trackday - shift 2-3 - same as all.
  • 7 track days
  • 4/16 build
  • 5300 miles
  • 20" street tires (RE-71R)
  • no mods but alignment
If/when it happens to you - was fine/normal driving home skipping 3rd gear.

I was relieved it happened and sure hope the replacement transmission is suitable for the performance most expect from Porsche.

P.S. If anyone has a link any newer/better than this -> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...GDE/edit#gid=0 - please post.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:01 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Hebert

Seems like database updates are not happening... and I hesitate to post a new entry. (NeedMoreGarage's new database results in a dead link for me too)

• 7 track days
  • 4/16 build
  • 5300 miles
  • no mods but alignment

I was relieved it happened and sure hope the replacement transmission is suitable for the performance most expect from Porsche.

P.S. If anyone has a link any newer/better than this -> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...GDE/edit#gid=0 - please post.
Hi Chris

Sorry to hear of your issue.

Another friend lost their 3rd gear this weekend. Similar miles to your car but I believe more track days and some suspension mods.

Unfortunately life has gotten in the way but I am slowly going through the posts and collecting all the data. I am unable to do any updates from the ipad - apparently it's not compatible with the spreadsheet. I'm hoping it works better on the mac computer....we shall see.

But I encourage anyone with an issue to post in this thread or feel free to PM. I am embarking on the process and will post updates as soon as possible.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:23 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

GT3 guys had success with PCNA and Porsche corporate (Walliser was even at the meeting) with regards to finger follower/cam lubricaton engine issue....maybe worthwhile to bring the lost 3rd gear issues in GT4 to their attention?
Old 08-07-2017, 06:56 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Hebert
:

• 7 track days
  • 4/16 build
  • 5300 miles
  • no mods but alignment

I'd be curious to know how long your replacement takes and what city you get the repair. Mine took 3 weeks in Appleton WI. Once they got the transmission from Frankfurt, it was fast. Started work on Friday afternoon and called Saturday morning that it was ready.

+1 on the "OK to drive, just shift 1-2-4 . . ."

Mike
Old 08-07-2017, 09:03 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,089 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Hi Chris

Sorry to hear of your issue.

Another friend lost their 3rd gear this weekend. Similar miles to your car but I believe more track days and some suspension mods.

Unfortunately life has gotten in the way but I am slowly going through the posts and collecting all the data. I am unable to do any updates from the ipad - apparently it's not compatible with the spreadsheet. I'm hoping it works better on the mac computer....we shall see.

But I encourage anyone with an issue to post in this thread or feel free to PM. I am embarking on the process and will post updates as soon as possible.
I don't know if anyone notices but every Monday a few more bite the dust! Just like clockwork. Remember the old saying "race(win) on Sunday sell on Monday"? The GT4 line is "track on Sunday replace the trans on Monday. Something really needs to be done! carl
Old 08-08-2017, 01:21 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Hi Guys. I got my car back this morning with its new gearbox. All good but seems a little stiffer on the shift than before which is probably a function of it being new. The service guy a PCW said they'd have had a 'box earlier but Porsche had put an international block on all shipments; so only in country stock available and Australia out of stock (that would be be you 05C4R). My guess is they have made sure Getrag have sorted it and were not shipping until that happened, after some people in the US had two boxes fail. Anyway, he also told me Porsche have a simple back to back warranty with the supplier and all this gets billed straight to Getrag or whoever. I think if it were a Porsche made engine they would have a different attitude as it becomes their own cost. So for all you out their who have not yet had failures, the news is good that you'll not have any warranty arguments for at least the box.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:02 PM
gac1077
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Just lost 3rd gear today, drop the car at the dealership, the wait begins

build 4/16, 15,843 miles. 6 Track days, shift from 2nd to 3rd on the ramp getting on the freeway heard grinding 3rd gear was gone, stock Michelin tires, no mods only exhaust.

Quick Reply: GT4 Transmission Failure "Database"