Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 01:50 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,829 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
You bought a tranny? That's nuts.
Sorry if I missed it, did you post a DIY on the 3rd gear replacement?
i can't DIY
i bought a new box, dealer put it in
i took the bad box send to gearbox buy, disassembled for forensics
this was a year ago.
that's how i knew the failure was not driver error.
as originally i thought i blew it.
then soon after my box, i hear more more and more of the same issue same symptom.
and i know several cars where the replacement failed for the same issue.
i gave up on the car, i was first adoptor of the platform, 2006 first cay S in CA. that had issues too.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:37 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Was anyone able to convince your dealer to replace the 3rd gear with Holinger instead of just replacing the whole tranny when 3rd gear fails? I would doubt they would.

Below are the photos of the Porsche weak welded 3rd gear vs Holinger. (OEM photos from Sharkwerk Mule car vs Holinger 3rd gear)
Unless Porsche made that gear weak to prevent catastrophic failure to other drivetrain parts under high stress?

I sure hope that Holinger gear stays together. They haven't even bothered to peen the dog after they put it on. This is the right way to do it. They may be creating a whole new round of failures with their shoddy workmanship. One of many reasons we fired them a dozen years ago.

And no, Porsche didn't make them weak on purpose. In all likelihood Porsche didn't even know that Getrag changed from splined to welded. I'll never understand the decision unless it was based on a couple bucks cost. All 987 gearboxes have splined 3rd and 4th gears and welded 5th and 6th gears. It makes sense because on the lower gears the dog overhangs the body of the gear. It can flex. This is, I believe, the root cause of the failure (and the same reason the Holinger dogs might walk right off the gears). I doubt the change had anything to do with reliability and everything to do with manufacturing cost. Doing all those parts smooth and just welding them together is far less expensive than cutting splines on both the gears and the dogs.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I sure hope that Holinger gear stays together. They haven't even bothered to peen the dog after they put it on. This is the right way to do it. They may be creating a whole new round of failures with their shoddy workmanship. One of many reasons we fired them a dozen years ago.

And no, Porsche didn't make them weak on purpose. In all likelihood Porsche didn't even know that Getrag changed from splined to welded. I'll never understand the decision unless it was based on a couple bucks cost. All 987 gearboxes have splined 3rd and 4th gears and welded 5th and 6th gears. It makes sense because on the lower gears the dog overhangs the body of the gear. It can flex. This is, I believe, the root cause of the failure (and the same reason the Holinger dogs might walk right off the gears). I doubt the change had anything to do with reliability and everything to do with manufacturing cost. Doing all those parts smooth and just welding them together is far less expensive than cutting splines on both the gears and the dogs.
Good info. Which brand is best for replacement gear?
My new tranny is on order. I was told that Porsche has revised the 3rd gear for the replacement tranny. But if it fails again, I'll have to force the dealer to replace the 3rd gear with after market ones due to safety concerns.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:53 PM
RAWTRFC
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I figured I’d add myself to the list of latest 3rd gear failures. 19,700 road miles and a week before it’s scheduled service. Car completed April “16, and third failed after a downshift from fourth to overtake on the highway at about 60 mph and gaining momentum. Should be finished up tomorrow, brought it in last Tuesday, so 8 days or so with a dealer provided rental. Looking forward to a smooth as soft butter new tranny.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:20 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Good info. Which brand is best for replacement gear?
Is this a trick question?
Old 06-13-2018, 03:07 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,829 Likes on 2,389 Posts

^ lmao
Old 06-13-2018, 03:13 PM
AutoquestMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol, come on Jimmy!

Old 06-13-2018, 03:17 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

... I'll never understand the decision unless it was based on a couple bucks cost.
You actually do understand, one just doesn't really want to believe it.
Almost every major issue (since 996, 986, M9x, 9A1) relates to saving a few bucks on parts.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:28 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Is this a trick question?
Bahahah. I didn't even read the screen name.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:16 AM
cvinson
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Adding my car to the list. Build is 3/16. Only 9100kms (5600 miles). Sadly only had 2 track days on it.

On track yesterday (St-Eustache), on a short straight shifting from 2nd to 3rd, lost power. No sounds/bumps/etc. Dash flips between saying 1st/5th. Limped back in 4th.

I read this entire thread when considering buying the GT4. It seemed like it was not a widespread problem, so I pulled the trigger on a pre-owned GT4 with 7000 kms. I guess I was wrong...

Will see how the dealer (Porsche Prestige in Montreal) handles this tomorrow.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:21 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 96 Posts

Sorry to hear that!
Old 06-26-2018, 08:31 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They will replace it NP
Old 07-09-2018, 12:44 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

My 3rd gear just failed and I wanted to ask a couple of questions before I bring the car into the dealer for replacement.

1. Has anyone had problems with a warranty claim on the transmission with the dealer or Porsche citing headers or a tune as the reason for denial of the claim?

2. I would love to have the dealer install a lightweight flywheel and clutch when they are in there. Of course I would pay for those parts myself, but I was thinking they should not charge much for labor to install since they will already be in there. Has anyone been able to convince their dealer to do that for them?

3. Anyone in the DC area who has had their transmission replaced, it would be great to know where you brought the car for the work. I am inclined to go to the dealer who sold me the car but I would still like to get a few opinions from members.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:28 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Btw, if someone has a copy of the service bulletin, it would be very helpful if you could post it.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:20 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,185 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Shandingo
My 3rd gear just failed and I wanted to ask a couple of questions before I bring the car into the dealer for replacement.

1. Has anyone had problems with a warranty claim on the transmission with the dealer or Porsche citing headers or a tune as the reason for denial of the claim?

2. I would love to have the dealer install a lightweight flywheel and clutch when they are in there. Of course I would pay for those parts myself, but I was thinking they should not charge much for labor to install since they will already be in there. Has anyone been able to convince their dealer to do that for them?

3. Anyone in the DC area who has had their transmission replaced, it would be great to know where you brought the car for the work. I am inclined to go to the dealer who sold me the car but I would still like to get a few opinions from members.
Details of the failure ? MFG date, miles, track days ? thanks carl

Quick Reply: GT4 G81 Transmission Failure