Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 G81 Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 06:35 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 410 Posts

Today I got good news and news about which I don't know what to think. Good news: Tranny arrived at dealer yesterday (and car could be ready this week) and other news is it's a remanufactured tranny. I have asked the dealer to halt the reinstall until I clarify some information. Namely:

Here's a quote from dealer: "The transmission is indeed factory rebuilt. As far as I am aware there are no new transmissions available for the GT4 with the third gear issue corrected. The factory rebuilt parts from Porsche are essentially new, the only piece generally reused is the case.

Part number is 981-300-020-CX" Further quote: "I just spoke with our parts manager. A new GT4 transmission is not available and they are only available rebuilt. I’ve attached a screen shot of the order page." (I am not attaching here yet.)

Does anyone have any factual information to confirm or refute any of these statements?

If the only part reused is the case, it should be no issue, but if this is not the case, well, that's the whole question.

Really appreciate any input.

Thanks so much.

Last edited by HelpMeHelpU; 09-20-2017 at 07:06 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-26-2017, 06:14 PM
pginbtv
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sunday morning drive ... upshift from 2nd to 3rd on a beautiful country road ... rev to redline. Thought it kicked 3rd but after another attempt 3rd continued to fail.
Drove it to the dealership, uber to a rental car to get to my destination, they checked the car out yesterday morning and ordered a new transmission. They said it was the last one in global inventory, so I'm feeling lucky about that, at least.

At least I'm not alone!
Old 09-26-2017, 10:34 PM
Chris Hebert
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They'll fix you up - curious since it happened on the road and not a track:
-how many miles at the failure
-what month/year was ur GT4 built?
-how many track days if any?

Hope it get's back quick!

Originally Posted by pginbtv
Sunday morning drive ... upshift from 2nd to 3rd on a beautiful country road ... rev to redline. Thought it kicked 3rd but after another attempt 3rd continued to fail.
Drove it to the dealership, uber to a rental car to get to my destination, they checked the car out yesterday morning and ordered a new transmission. They said it was the last one in global inventory, so I'm feeling lucky about that, at least.

At least I'm not alone!
Old 09-27-2017, 10:42 AM
cooperlee
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3rd gear

Just curious out of all the U.S. delivered GT4, whats the percentage or # of GT4 have had this 3rd gear issue? Perhaps we should all sign a petition to have Porsche USA extend our warranty passed the 4 years/50k miles. It would suck if some of us have this breakdown after the warranty period is over as this looks to be a very costly repair.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:39 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

I posted in the database thread, but not here.

My transmission in my GT4 gave up this weekend during some spirited backroad driving. Nothing approaching how hard I would have been driving on a track though. I am debating letting Porsche give me a remanufactured trans or letting BGB install shorter gears.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:43 PM
cooperlee
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this issue easy to repair and fix while doing the shorter gears? If so, I may just pull the trigger soon to do the shorter gear ratios with lightened flywheel.

I was thinking to doing the shorter gears but was told the weak link on the 3rd gear have nothing to do with final drive ratio upgrade.

Originally Posted by DrJay
I posted in the database thread, but not here.

My transmission in my GT4 gave up this weekend during some spirited backroad driving. Nothing approaching how hard I would have been driving on a track though. I am debating letting Porsche give me a remanufactured trans or letting BGB install shorter gears.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:10 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Colleague lost 3rd last month at WGI again...I will get the details from her this weekend back at the Glen---she is bringing her Viper instead
Old 09-28-2017, 01:39 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cooperlee
Is this issue easy to repair and fix while doing the shorter gears? If so, I may just pull the trigger soon to do the shorter gear ratios with lightened flywheel.

I was thinking to doing the shorter gears but was told the weak link on the 3rd gear have nothing to do with final drive ratio upgrade.
I don't know yet. I have an email into BGB, which they returned, they are looking into it and will let me know. I will let you know what they say.

For clarification, I am not looking at only a final drive upgrade and a transmission fix. I am looking at letting BGB do an entirely new transmission with a shorter 1-6 gearing as well.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:22 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Regearing solves the issue because it removes the questionable 3rd gear. It has nothing to do with the ring and pinion (aka final drive). Replacing the final drive won't solve the problem.

As I told John yesterday we won't release the mainshaft kit until we've throroughly tested it on cars we control. Within the next 30 days we will be installing the sequential gearbox in my car and one other racecar. That's our focus right now. The street car mainshaft won't be tested until after the first of the year. The earliest we would be selling 1-2 replacements would be next spring.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:25 PM
pginbtv
AutoX

Originally Posted by Chris Hebert
They'll fix you up - curious since it happened on the road and not a track:
-how many miles at the failure
-what month/year was ur GT4 built?
-how many track days if any?

Hope it get's back quick!
Yes, new transmission is in the car as of yesterday, waiting for fresh alignment before pickup! Amazing service.
~4200 miles on the clock.
I'll have to check the door sticker when I have it back for build date.
It reportedly had ~8 track days with the original owner. (0 over revs, very well taken care of)

Missing my first track days in the car, as I write this my run group is out there spinning laps.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:08 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GTgears
Regearing solves the issue because it removes the questionable 3rd gear. It has nothing to do with the ring and pinion (aka final drive). Replacing the final drive won't solve the problem.

As I told John yesterday we won't release the mainshaft kit until we've throroughly tested it on cars we control. Within the next 30 days we will be installing the sequential gearbox in my car and one other racecar. That's our focus right now. The street car mainshaft won't be tested until after the first of the year. The earliest we would be selling 1-2 replacements would be next spring.
Yep, he told me that, essentially. My car would be there for an X51 Stage 2 upgrade as well, and I can't drive it in MN during the winter anyway.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:11 PM
Yofayez
Intermediate

Got news today that the transmission arrived yesterday. Dealer took old one out and is installing new one.

Old serial number
981 300 020 22
G81 20 20024977

New serial number
981 300 02023
G81 20 2 0033009

Im wondering if the new one is a beefed up version of the old one or just the same?
Old 10-26-2017, 11:44 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've not followed this thread since the early few pages but just catching up on the last 3-4 pages - is it really the case the replacement gearboxes are basically the same with welded 3rd gears as the one that broke in the first place? So at some point it is likely that 3rd gear will break again?

Mainly asking for a friend that I was on track with yesterday that had 3rd gear go bang in his gt4 which he had bought a week ago.... Was a 2016 car, 4k ish miles.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:49 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
I've not followed this thread since the early few pages but just catching up on the last 3-4 pages - is it really the case the replacement gearboxes are basically the same with welded 3rd gears as the one that broke in the first place? So at some point it is likely that 3rd gear will break again?

Mainly asking for a friend that I was on track with yesterday that had 3rd gear go bang in his gt4 which he had bought a week ago....
Did the friend actually lose his 3rd gear? If so, can you add his information to this thread for the db? Build date, number miles, track days, and anything else relevant.

There has been at least one person (maybe more) have a second transmission go in the same manner (3rd gear out). There has also been speculation that a design change has been made, but I am not sure if there is consensus on that. As with the person just a few posts above, people have started asking about and posting part numbers and serial numbers to try and resolve the mystery...
Old 10-26-2017, 12:11 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
Did the friend actually lose his 3rd gear? If so, can you add his information to this thread for the db? Build date, number miles, track days, and anything else relevant.

There has been at least one person (maybe more) have a second transmission go in the same manner (3rd gear out). There has also been speculation that a design change has been made, but I am not sure if there is consensus on that. As with the person just a few posts above, people have started asking about and posting part numbers and serial numbers to try and resolve the mystery...
Yes lost 3rd gear, was in 3rd with constant throttle on a long corner then powering out then suddenly nothing, the rest of the gears still there.

Ok I'll ask him to ask to check for the new part/serial number as I assume a replacement box isn't going to be an issue under warranty...

Quick Reply: GT4 G81 Transmission Failure