Sponsored by: APR

strut tower failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 06:40 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
The anecdotal evidence from DFW hints that the problem may be more prevalent than we've expected.
Anecdotal evidence is worthless.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:48 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

I had a 981 CGTS. Traded it in January 2017 for the GT4. Didn't know about the 3rd gear issue. Didn't know about the issues with suspension. Had no idea about the strut towers. Drove it home from the dealer and fell in love. It was just that good.

Now I know about these things. And I just don't care. It still drives brilliantly. I still love it.

If it isn't for you or you are concerned, then don't buy one. But ripping on a car you don't own, providing no technical value, in an Internet forum... Find somewhere else to spend your energy.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:12 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 116 Posts

There are plenty of instances of it happening which is concerning when considering the idea of buying a new 100k car. I am waffling on my Spyder allocation because of this, my 987.2 doesn't have any of these problems or design flaw issues.

Also consider a minority of owners frequent these forums, not every occurance will pop up here for us to see. Only Porsche really knows how prevalent this is and they aren't talking.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:17 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by chapmans
There are plenty of instances of it happening which is concerning when considering the idea of buying a new 100k car. I am waffling on my Spyder allocation because of this, my 987.2 doesn't have any of these problems or design flaw issues.

Also consider a minority of owners frequent these forums, not every occurance will pop up here for us to see. Only Porsche really knows how prevalent this is and they aren't talking.
since you’re ‘considering’ buying a Spyder, maybe research the 100k car you want to buy. The Spyder doesn’t have the same suspension as the GT cars and there have been no reported failures.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:19 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free

since you’re ‘considering’ buying a Spyder, maybe research the 100k car you want to buy. The Spyder doesn’t have the same suspension as the GT cars and there have been no reported failures.
718 Spyder will have the full GT suspension this time, I have done my research thanks.

Also why are you in the thread about STRUT TOWER FAILURES telling people not to care about strut tower failures? What is your goal here?
Old 03-21-2019, 09:41 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chapmans
718 Spyder will have the full GT suspension this time, I have done my research thanks.

Also why are you in the thread about STRUT TOWER FAILURES telling people not to care about strut tower failures? What is your goal here?
allow me to retort to your witty response... I fail to see where Porsche has even announced a 718 Spyder. Oh you mean the testing cars and development cars? Last time I checked, those aren’t for sale. So to date, no Spyders with GT suspensions have been sold.

No one said we shouldn’t discuss these failures. But people like you are making it sound like they’re just melting while they are sitting there.

And I’m here because this is the GT4 forum and I own a GT4. You’re here because you’re neither a GT4 owner or buying one. Oh, wait... I get the feeling you’re just like a lot of people on rennlist these days. ‘Oh I would totally buy this GT3 if it had illuminated sills’ Or ‘I would totally buy this GT4 if it was for sale last week’. I think I have a better chance of taking over Canada with a high school marching band behind me, playing ‘we willl rock you’, versus you buying a Spyder.

Last edited by Five12Free; 03-21-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:59 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 512 Posts

I think I have a better chance of taking over Canada with a high school marching band behind me, playing ‘we willl rock you’, versus you buying a Spyder.
That might work.😂😂
Old 03-21-2019, 10:08 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

allow me to retort to your witty response... I fail to see where Porsche has even announced a 718 Spyder. Oh you mean the testing cars and development cars? Last time I checked, those aren’t for sale. So to date, no Spyders With GT suspension has been sold. Period.

No one said we shouldn’t discuss these failures. But people like you are making it sound like they’re just melting while they are sitting there.

And I’m here because this is the GT4 forum and I own a GT4. You’re here because you’re neither a GT4 owner or buying one. Oh, wait... I get the feeling you’re just like a lot of people on rennlist these days. ‘Oh I would totally buy this GT3 if it had illuminated sills’ Or ‘I would totally buy this GT4 if it was for sale last week’. I think I have a better chance of taking over Canada with a high school marching band behind me, playing ‘we willl rock you’, versus you buying a Spyder.
Amusing, but a little harsh... these issues do effect the way shoppers think about the cars though. I REALLY wanted a GT4, but I ended up buying a 997.2 GT3 in the last two months. The strut tower and 3rd gear issues were what swayed me. That said, I bet if I had bought a GT4 I really wouldn’t care about those items. It’s the funny difference between sitting on the sidelines and being in the game. For example: depreciation was a factor that I considered when shopping... I went with the 997 and it seems like the market has cooled almost 10k in the last few months. When I was on the sideline I would have found that type of swing offputting, but as someone who gets to own and drive one of these cars I really don’t care about the depreciation anymore. It would be nice if Porsche was more ahead of these types of things instead of being reactive, or accusing the owners of mistreatment. I’m a tier one suspension component supplier, and any failure of my components that would cause a front wheel to come lose from the car would be affectionately referred to as a “family killer” off the record. Consequently we don’t have ANY failures of that nature. If we did, even in small numbers, it would be a big deal. Wheels staying on cars needs to be a 6 sigma kind of thing; like airplane crash occurrences. It’s unacceptable for thre body tub to not be the most durable part of the car.

If i had one in my garage would it bother me? Probably not. I’d drive the wheels off the thing.......possibly pun intended.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:26 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

allow me to retort to your witty response... I fail to see where Porsche has even announced a 718 Spyder. Oh you mean the testing cars and development cars? Last time I checked, those aren’t for sale. So to date, no Spyders with GT suspensions have been sold.

Damn!

Old 03-21-2019, 11:59 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

2 years ago a friend in his GT4 had a high speed impact at a road works ditch, equivalent to a large deep pot hole.
He said it was quite a significant impact and scared the living daylights out of him, to this day his car is in perfect condition with no signs of any damage and he drives his car very hard.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:05 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Every car has issues. How about those coolant lines, 2nd gear synchros made of butter, potato chip pressure plates, and lsds good for just a few days at the track before wearing into open diffs on the 997.2 GT3? I don't own a 997.2 GT3 but I read about all those on the internet sooooooo....

Sorry I don't mean to bag the 997, I spent a day in a 997 last week and it was awesome, would still buy despite those known issues if I had more garage, and $$$ for repairs just trying to make the point that most cars have their strengths and weaknesses and all cars have issues, especially cars pushing the performance envelope. If we prioritized reliability we'd be on the Toyota Corolla forums... And I bet people are bitching there about something too... Maybe mismatching beige trim pieces...

I definitely want to find a solution that could help reinforce the front strut towers but the problem hasn't been as prevalent as the 3rd gear issue so far (and Porsche is covering that) so I do think people need to chill just a bit. Fwiw, I hear the rear shock towers are reinforced and supposedly there's a reinforcement plate riveted in there. I can see rivets on the outside of the shock tower but the undercoating makes it tough to see what's actually going on from under the car. If someone has access to a porsche parts or body shop manual maybe there's something we could learn from how the rear shock towers are setup?
Old 03-22-2019, 12:36 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
Every car has issues. How about those coolant lines, 2nd gear synchros made of butter, potato chip pressure plates, and lsds good for just a few days at the track before wearing into open diffs on the 997.2 GT3? I don't own a 997.2 GT3 but I read about all those on the internet soooo..
Those are all issues that I can tackle in my own shop at an enjoyable pace as i choose to look at them. You missed one.. I put a harmonic balancer on it as soon as it came home to double down my chances of not having the cam actuator bolts back out. Alas, I am not skilled in body work, and I’m not interested in those types of problems. The 3rd gear problem is clearly just a nuisance item, but it would have been nice if Porsche hadn’t drug their feet for 3 years on the recall. It would have sent a clear message. When the ND Miata came out they had second gear problems, and Mazda made it very clear that they owned the problem and customers could bring race cars in for free gear boxes, even if the car was modified up to SCCA STR specs. I would say Porsche has done an “adequate” job on the third gear issue.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:22 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Damn!

lol.. I should’ve used those

Originally Posted by James88
2 years ago a friend in his GT4 had a high speed impact at a road works ditch, equivalent to a large deep pot hole.
He said it was quite a significant impact and scared the living daylights out of him, to this day his car is in perfect condition with no signs of any damage and he drives his car very hard.
No way... those shock towers are made of glass!

I definitely want to find a solution that could help reinforce the front strut towers but the problem hasn't been as prevalent as the 3rd gear issue so far (and Porsche is covering that) so I do think people need to chill just a bit. Fwiw, I hear the rear shock towers are reinforced and supposedly there's a reinforcement plate riveted in there. I can see rivets on the outside of the shock tower but the undercoating makes it tough to see what's actually going on from under the car. If someone has access to a porsche parts or body shop manual maybe there's something we could learn from how the rear shock towers are setup?
Didn’t know that about the rears. I’ll have to look next time I have the car up.

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
Those are all issues that I can tackle in my own shop at an enjoyable pace as i choose to look at them. You missed one.. I put a harmonic balancer on it as soon as it came home to double down my chances of not having the cam actuator bolts back out. Alas, I am not skilled in body work, and I’m not interested in those types of problems. The 3rd gear problem is clearly just a nuisance item, but it would have been nice if Porsche hadn’t drug their feet for 3 years on the recall. It would have sent a clear message. When the ND Miata came out they had second gear problems, and Mazda made it very clear that they owned the problem and customers could bring race cars in for free gear boxes, even if the car was modified up to SCCA STR specs. I would say Porsche has done an “adequate” job on the third gear issue.
You are in the auto business so doing fixes on your GT3 is easy, but to a lot of folks welding coolent pipes might as well be replacing a shock tower, Meaning it can’t be done at home by themselves.

And a comment about your previous post regarding safety of the wheel coming off. Can’t say I’ve heard of any GT4 driver losing control of their car after the shock failure. I’m sure it will happen in the future. But man, there sure are tons of posts about people crashing as direct result of the coolent pipes. Even worse, causing others to crash behind them...

Old 03-22-2019, 09:53 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Coolant failure:

Old 03-22-2019, 11:06 AM
911-140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman

Perfect argument for water. That was super close...no contact right ?

Quick Reply: strut tower failure