Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 11:10 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

How many miles did you have on the car before the track day??
Old 03-29-2016, 11:10 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Out the crappy dealer.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:11 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW! Great post, information and pictures! Subscribed!!
Old 03-29-2016, 11:20 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Great post!!

It sounds like you are excited and happy with your GT4.( Love the CR painted interior bits).

Will be interesting when you get some track time your comparison times vs the GT3. Sure, no expectation you will beat it but will be interesting how far off but, most importantly, which was more fun/engaging when you were done that day
Old 03-29-2016, 11:38 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Cool! But judging by the picture in your original post, it looks like you got the ones with bump steer adjustment. Is that just because you wanted that capability?
I got it because that is what Mooty got for me. LOL. Because I haven't screwed with height, I don't think it's needed.

Originally Posted by jphughan
Ugh, just read your second long post about tire wear. That's not very encouraging at all considering I'm running a dual-purpose alignment with the front at -2.5 and 0 toe. I was hoping to get 6-7 track days out of a set of tires, especially with Manifold's post somewhere suggesting that data from lots of GT3 owners around the world says they might be good for that many. If I can only get 4 I too will have to rethink my track tire setup, especially since I'll also be putting a fair amount of road miles on my car between track days.
Tire wear between track and driver is VERY variable. I can tell you Thunderhill absolutely kills the outer edge of my right side tires because it is such a fast track with many long, fast corners. I will say that I can get more than 4 days out of tires if I avoid thunderhill.

Originally Posted by shockwave
How many miles did you have on the car before the track day??
Close to 3 tanks of gas!

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Out the crappy dealer.
Stead. It's a shame because I live and work only a few miles away from the dealer. This obviously won't be my last Porsche. My business and their business have shared patronage over the years, but that means NOTHING to their greedy eyes.

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Great post!!

It sounds like you are excited and happy with your GT4.( Love the CR painted interior bits).

Will be interesting when you get some track time your comparison times vs the GT3. Sure, no expectation you will beat it but will be interesting how far off but, most importantly, which was more fun/engaging when you were done that day
Coming up in the next post! As far as fun/engaging? Equal between the 2.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:40 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Screw Stead.

I was about to pull trigger on an RS 3 years ago and those guys were nothing but a pain in the @ss to deal with on an inspection on multiple fronts. Second thought I should have just bought the damn car but I didn't know what I was doing.

Oh well, what goes around comes around, karma is a b!tch.

PS Car looks great. Congrats!
Old 03-29-2016, 11:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Screw Stead.

I was about to pull trigger on an RS 3 years ago and those guys were nothing but a pain in the @ss to deal with on an inspection on multiple fronts. Second thought I should have just bought the damn car but I didn't know what I was doing.

Oh well, what goes around comes around, karma is a b!tch.

PS Car looks great. Congrats!
Thanks, and I hope Karma does come around. I feel like these days only greed and unscrupulous behavior are rewarded while all the straight shooters get hosed. It's frustrating.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:45 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
7) As mentioned above, tire wear is an issue. I doesn't look like the front tires will last any longer than the GT3. I'm looking at 4 days at the most on these days, which is painful. I may have to look into running 19" wheels with RE-71Rs. This is my right front tire after one day. The outer edge is already touching bottom of the groove, and the next tread over is washed away on the outer 1/2.

After one day:
I can still see groves on mine. My camber is 2.6 F. Using a tread depth gauge I measured 1/32 on the RF and 2/32 on the LF (new ones measure 4/32 at the same spot). The tires have about 15 HCs (+1 on NBR) on them and should get me through the next DE weekend. I try to swap the tires side to side for each DE to help with the wear.
The rears with a camber of 2.1 have more depth and don't seem to wear as fast. So my guess for my driving style and tracks it would be 6 days. From that I deduce that the rears would HC out before cording.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:49 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
5) That being said, the GT3 is the superior car. The engine is jut another league above the GT4 engine. No ifs, ands, or buts.
Is it just the power deficit? Or is there more to it than that? With the price gap between the 3 and 4 (~50k), I can't help but wonder how much a 4.0L conversion (which is ~20k) would close the gap.

Also - Awesome thread. Thanks for getting this going.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:54 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

First track day video.

The setup:
3 go pro cameras
AiM solo DL to datalog
external microphone mounted to the rear license plate
Adobe premiere elements to merge multiple cameras
Dashware to overlap data from the Solo

This video is from my first track day with the GT4 at thunderhill running the 3 mile cyclone configuration with PCA. Best lap of 2:01.2. With some driving adjustments in my line and entry speeds, I know I can get 2:00. Below 2:00 will be very difficult for me even though the car can do it. If I ever pull off 1:59, I that would be sweet. Sorry the video sync is off. I'm not sure why on my desktop the sync is perfect but when uploaded to youtube it is off...?

This is on the MPSC2 tires the car came with:

Last edited by orthojoe; 03-30-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:55 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Smoltz
Is it just the power deficit? Or is there more to it than that? With the price gap between the 3 and 4 (~50k), I can't help but wonder how much a 4.0L conversion (which is ~20k) would close the gap.

Also - Awesome thread. Thanks for getting this going.
Not just the power. The SOUND. GT3 sound is sublime
Old 03-29-2016, 11:55 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

^ High revving nature and how power builds consistently to redline matters too. By comparison, GT4 isn't as impressive at the very top. The power delivery is different too, not just the absolute difference in power.

For example in my Elise, you aren't really accelerating that fast but the horsepower curve is damn near vertical (hyperbole) from 6-8k rpm.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:58 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 336 Posts

Congrats Joe! I'm so happy you started this. I for one really appreciate your true technical and no BS, non-fanboi related content. Looking forward to the continued development of this car.

I think a good alignment goes a long way towards curing the understeer in the car. At Sebring, I found a little remained but there are ways to fix that too. Can't wait to get the car to Thunderhill and again to Sonoma to push it now that it's setup properly.

Do you have any sense at this point if you will leave the car as it is now or whether you will mod further?
Old 03-29-2016, 11:59 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
^ High revving nature and how power builds consistently to redline matters too. By comparison, GT4 isn't as impressive at the very top. The power delivery is different too, not just the absolute difference in power.

For example in my Elise, you aren't really accelerating that fast but the horsepower curve is damn near vertical (hyperbole) from 6-8k rpm.
Yeah I am still under break in. Very curious as to how car will perform at top of rev range. Spoiled by my 360 and Challenge Stradale.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:17 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by vantage

Agree!

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Congrats Joe! I'm so happy you started this. I for one really appreciate your true technical and no BS, non-fanboi related content. Looking forward to the continued development of this car.

I think a good alignment goes a long way towards curing the understeer in the car. At Sebring, I found a little remained but there are ways to fix that too. Can't wait to get the car to Thunderhill and again to Sonoma to push it now that it's setup properly.

Do you have any sense at this point if you will leave the car as it is now or whether you will mod further?
Thanks, man. I'm pretty happy with it the way it is. The only thing I'm going to experiment with is setting the rear and front bar on full stiff to see if that helps with tire wear a bit more without sacrificing the dynamics of the car. Looking forward to running with you soon!

Last edited by orthojoe; 03-30-2016 at 02:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings