Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Like this?

Old 07-07-2016, 10:31 PM
anselmw
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
I should have gotten the rolling lifts. I didn't..big mistake.
Rolling lifts can be purchased separately. I only bought one but now think I should add another to lift the car in all four like Joe's lift
Old 07-07-2016, 11:41 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

Yeah but the freight on them will be crazy!
Old 07-07-2016, 11:46 PM
orangebox
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 post lift access

Do any of you guys with 4 post lifts feel that pulling an engine or trans would be possible? I really like the secure storage of a four post, but the ease of access doing bigger jobs with the two post keeps dragging me back that way. Trying to make the right decision.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:26 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anselmw
Rolling lifts can be purchased separately. I only bought one but now think I should add another to lift the car in all four like Joe's lift
Bridge jacks are sold separately. I bought mine at Greg Smith. They're heavy but two guys can lift them. There is also a kit to convert them from manual to hydraulic, using a small air pump. If I could do it, anyone can. On regular four point lifts, the bridge jack rides on the platforms and can be slid back and forth with a little muscle on their plastic pads. The only awkward part is getting them exactly in the right position to lift the car. I made do with one, not two, by lifting one end of the car at a time and supporting it with jack stands, then moving to the other end. Of course, a two post lift does away with all that, and also allows larger jobs, like dropping the engine. But sometimes, the four post is easier.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:59 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@orthojoe. Can the roll up ramps be removed from the four post life when not in use? It's hard to tell if they must remain connected when the lift is moving vertical.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:21 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an Atlas Garage Pro 8000 from Greg Smith Equipment. I think it is the same as the Direct Lift but I could be wrong. Overall I am happy with the lift as it gets the job done.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:28 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ML///
@orthojoe. Can the roll up ramps be removed from the four post life when not in use? It's hard to tell if they must remain connected when the lift is moving vertical.
I have the same lift as Joe. The ramps are easy to remove. Just held in by a slot and their own weight.

It comes with steel ramps that are heavy but they look identical to the aluminum lightweight ramps ($300 extra) shown here:
Old 07-16-2016, 09:32 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by fishing
I have an Atlas Garage Pro 8000 from Greg Smith Equipment. I think it is the same as the Direct Lift but I could be wrong. Overall I am happy with the lift as it gets the job done.
They are indeed very similar. My buddy has the pro8000. The differences we noticed was that the finish on the direct lift is textured while atlas is glossy. Also, the atlas has a covering for the cables underneath while the direct lift does not
Old 07-16-2016, 11:10 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by orthojoe
They are indeed very similar. My buddy has the pro8000. The differences we noticed was that the finish on the direct lift is textured while atlas is glossy. Also, the atlas has a covering for the cables underneath while the direct lift does not
When I was researching lifts I recall reading a post stating you liked the Atlas Pro 8000. That helped me make my decision. The Direct lift has better assembly instructions. I used them to assemble my lift http://www.directlift.com/Assets/manuals//PP8S.pdf (link which would be helpful for those interested)
Old 07-16-2016, 11:31 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by fishing
When I was researching lifts I recall reading a post stating you liked the Atlas Pro 8000. That helped me make my decision. The Direct lift has better assembly instructions. I used them to assemble my lift http://www.directlift.com/Assets/manuals//PP8S.pdf (link which would be helpful for those interested)
Cool!
Old 07-18-2016, 09:07 PM
loungin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Does a car need to be centered front and back on a lift? I'm wondering if I can hang the rear bumper off the end backing in so I can clear the garage door over the hood.

I'm trying to get the lift installed before the car arrives.

Can anyone measure for me how tall the hood is for a stock GT4 at the bottom of the windshield?
How long is it from the front of the bumper to the base of the windshield?
How long is it from the center of the rear wheel to the rear end of the car?

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2016, 09:33 PM
RDM2418
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a four post lift and car does not have to be centered. The lift tracks fall into a groove (much like a shelf sits on pegs), so once you lower it down, it's solid.

By the way, for those looking at the roller jacks, I have those (the exact one above) - be sure your car fits over them before you order. They weigh about 300 pounds and are a pain to put on and off (you have to lower the lift down and use furniture dollies). I can't get my Gt4 on my lift, much less over the floor jacks (even when lowered all the way down).
Old 07-18-2016, 09:50 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by loungin
Does a car need to be centered front and back on a lift? I'm wondering if I can hang the rear bumper off the end backing in so I can clear the garage door over the hood.

Thanks!
I personally would limit how far the car unequally hangs off the lift. Directions state to center the car on the lift. I am not saying it can't be done, but I would assume it wouldn't be as safe, especially if extreme. If you are planning to have the car off center, I would consider upgrading the wt class of the lift. Remember that the true safe operating and storage weight capabilities are usually 1/2 the stated lift's weight limit. Make sure you pay attention to the dimensions of the lift if the fit is going to be tight. Then make sure you account for those measurements as essentially a 3 dimensional cube of the widest aspects of the lift, as the entire surrounding area has to clear the lift. Lastly, on many models, the hydraulic motor can only be attached to one pole. The motor can get in the way of positioning the lift and you have to have some space to operate the motor.

There should be a lift out there that works for you. They are great to have.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:55 PM
anselmw
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RDM2418
By the way, for those looking at the roller jacks, I have those (the exact one above) - be sure your car fits over them before you order. They weigh about 300 pounds and are a pain to put on and off (you have to lower the lift down and use furniture dollies). I can't get my Gt4 on my lift, much less over the floor jacks (even when lowered all the way down).

It depends on the arms of the roller jack. My GT4 seems to fit fine over the roller jack but have not tried with the extension arms on

Quick Reply: 4 Post Lift