Sponsored by: APR

Andreas Preuninger talks at Rennsport re: possible GT Boxster Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 01:33 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Andreas Preuninger talks at Rennsport re: possible GT Boxster Spyder

We have been having an interesting discussion at the gt3 forum on the talk that Andreas Preuninger, head of the
gt program at Porsche Motorports, had with us at the PCA Hospitality tent at Rennsport on Sunday Sept 27th at
1:30 PM:

You can find it at the link below:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...reuninger.html

And I am about to post there the following which I found of particular interest as a former 987 Boxster Spyder owner:

Question by Rennlister SmokinGTS:
"I was really hoping that the Boxster Spyder (981) would have the suspension & performance (of the gt4)...it was
a missed opportunity of setting that car (981 Boxster Spyder) up so that we would have the suspension & horsepower
(to track the car)...
"

Response by Andreas Preuninger:
"I understand your point. You might be right. There is a lot of synergy to be found if you do it to two cars which shares
components as many as possible. The thing is we started the gt4 program a little bit ahead of the Boxster Spyder and
we in Motorsports just didn't do open cars, you know...must of you know that these cars (points to the gt4) are developed
in Porsche Motorsports department and not in the standard (series) development department...we are one/tenth (of the
size in staff
) but the way of doing things is a little bit different sometimes, and the colleagues from the standard department
they had the capacity to do this Boxster Spyder and they had the idea...and I don't think a Spyder, a Boxster Spyder, is
a Motorsport product, to be frank, and that was what we were discussing when we started...

But now that we see that most of the Boxster Spyder customers are really, exactly, asking that question, that might have
been a mistake. And I think in future model, models, models...the Spyder & the gt4 will be a bit closer together regarding,
especially, the suspension...

And if our superiors make the decision that the Motorsports department is willing...is allowed to do an open version as well,
that is good, that would be good !(makes a motion with his hand of 'victory'). And I would like that!

Just wait a little while more, I know the Spyder, the Boxster Spyder, is not a track car...the gt car (turns to the gt4) is more
of that kind of a track car, but I think we are going to change that in the future, to be frank! (Applause from the audience)

We listen, most of us listen to our customers, that is why we will be stopping (to engage) in every conversations we can"

At this point the moderator, ex-PCA president Manny Alban, adds the following caution to the audience:
"But don't put that on Facebook...or Rennlist"

Andreas, smiling, interrupts him and says:
"It will be already there...in five minutes!
"

Well, it took a bit longer than five minutes, but the news is finally posted here on Rennlist where it belongs!
I wanted to carefully transcribe the recording as best I could to accurately represent what Andreas Preuninger
told us, in his own words & unfiltered, at this public gathering during Rennsport! And by reporting the story
using his exact language & the context in which it's used, it also allows you to better understand the present
thinking re: 'open cars' like the 981 Spyder at Porsche Motorsports...& how that might change in the future!

I believe this is a very important development if it comes to be!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 10-01-2015, 01:59 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Personally, I hope it doesn't come to be. Cause next will be a GT version of Panamera and before we know a SUV and the GT will go down the way of BMW M. So yea, AP, if you are checking RL, please don't go down that route.

Don't mean any offense to Spyder fans, love the thing for what it is.

ps. Thanks Eduardo. Is there a video of the interview/presentation?
Old 10-01-2015, 02:43 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Personally, I hope it doesn't come to be. Cause next will be a GT version of Panamera and before we know a SUV and the GT will go down the way of BMW M. So yea, AP, if you are checking RL, please don't go down that route.

No offense taken. I actually agree with you. Two different tools in the shed!
Old 10-01-2015, 03:45 AM
Ochocoronas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the new Spyder to be in an odd spot. Not a track car and you already have the BGTS. Guess it was such an easy spinoff from the GT4 why not? I do like the looks....kind of like a mini Carrera GT. I also love that red and black Spyder interior.

IMO Porsche already has its M class of cars...its called the GTS. I also see no reason to start throwing the GT badge around on every model you have. Thus far the GT badge has been reserved for very special cars and I hope they keep it that way.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:51 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Yes, I took approx. 8 minutes of video on my iPhone before I ran out of battery. And perhaps others in attendance did as well.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 10-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

The Boxster Spyder was conceived as the lightest configuration possible, with parts from the bin in order to keep costs down, the development money spent on further lowering weight and CG (unique analog suspension, top, and rear deck), to create a somewhat affordable weekend car offering a pure driving experience.

Turning it into a $100k GT car is an entirely different mission, missing the original point completely, and I agree with sunnyr - it would compromise what the GT brand is at this point.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I have almost all of the presentation videoed - will try to post soon ...
Old 10-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Detlev gets promoted to a new job in Germany...

To inform the forum in case some of you missed the news yesterday, our friend Detlev von Platen (formerly CEO of PCNA) has been
promoted to head Global Sales & Marketing at PAG and will be based at headquarters in Germany. And Oliver Blume, formerly head
of Production & Logistics at Porsche, has been elevated to CEO of PAG, replacing Matthias Müller who was promoted to CEO of the
VW Group after Martin Winterkorn's resignation last week.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...laten-named-vw

Detlev was one happy camper at Rennsport this weekend. He was a dynamic CEO at PCNA and will be missed! But he is headed
for much bigger things at PAG. And it would not be surprising to me if he becomes CEO of PAG in a few years' time!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 10-01-2015, 06:03 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a very fair point, but I think it's a matter of branding rather than the components used. Adding a GT4 suspension to the Spyder won't water down the GT4, but calling it a "GT" product without making it a proper track car will.

As I said when the Spyder was announced, I don't have a problem witht the fact that they don't have the adjustable suspension on the spyder, but more-so that the price difference did not reflect the savings in part costs. If the Spyder was $8k less than the GT4, then it would be a non-issue.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:42 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I have almost all of the presentation videoed - will try to post soon ...
I too would be very interested in watching these videos...thanks in advance!
Old 10-01-2015, 06:53 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by arena-RTR
As I said when the Spyder was announced, I don't have a problem with the fact that they don't have the adjustable suspension on the spyder, but more-so that the price difference did not reflect the savings in part costs. If the Spyder was $8k less than the GT4, then it would be a non-issue.
It's a mistake to expect any parts cost difference to be reflected in the sticker. Porsche charges for performance- cost is divorced from the equation. Hence a GT2 costs more than a Turbo despite ditching the expensive 4WD system. A base Boxster engine costs Porsche about the same as a Carrera S engine, but we value the extra power, so Porsche charges a lot more for it.

From this point of view the GT4 slightly outperforms the Sypder, so Porsche charges slightly more. I'm not sure which costs Porsche more to build, but given the low volumes and bespoke body panels and roof on the Spyder it wouldn't shock me if it actually costs more.

Personally I'd want the adjustable swaybars from the GT4 on a Spyder (the rear at least is the same part already, just without the adjustment holes). The GT4 uprights and split wishbones could go either way- for autocross they are nice in theory, but in practice the Spyder's got more range of camber adjust-ability stock. I'd keep the Spyder's brakes, wheels and tires as they are. I'd keep the suspension softer than the GT4's, and I'd keep analog rather than PASM shocks (though the stiffer in bending, higher quality dampers from the GT4 would be nice to have).

$.02
Old 10-03-2015, 04:17 PM
Andover Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Andreas Preuninger talks at Rennsport re: possible GT Boxster Spyder

Fantastic news. I'm one buyer that backed out once I learned about all the GT4 parts that didn't make it to the Snyder. AP build it!
Old 10-04-2015, 11:34 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

has anyone seen a review/comparison between the GT4 and Spyder? the Spyder with the narrower rears and likely more body flex should be more lively and tossable in theory
Old 10-05-2015, 08:10 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
has anyone seen a review/comparison between the GT4 and Spyder? the Spyder with the narrower rears and likely more body flex should be more lively and tossable in theory

Same german publication - Auto Bild; Different drivers - Jan Horn vs Gerald Czajka; Same 2.36 miles track - the Contidrom; And, practically the same lap time - 1:31,52 vs 1:31,43 !!! However, even on a smooth track, the PASMless car looses again.

Not bad for a 'parts bin Frankenstein' vs a 'pure GT product' though ... See that little time table on the left:

Last edited by CaymanPower; 10-05-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:18 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanPower
Same german publication - Auto Bild; Different drivers - Jan Horn vs Gerald Czajka; Same 2.36 miles track - the Contidrom; And, practically the same lap time - 1:31,52 vs 1:31,43 !!! However, even on a smooth track, the PASMless car looses again.

Not bad for a 'parts bin Frankenstein' vs a 'pure GT product' though ... See that little time table on the left:

Your links failed.

-What do you drive ?

Quick Reply: Andreas Preuninger talks at Rennsport re: possible GT Boxster Spyder