Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Oil Filter and Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 05:41 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts
Default GT4 Oil Filter and Wrench

I did a search but did not come up with anything... In preparation for a post break-in oil change I want to buy a filter element and a tool (wrench) to remove the filter housing. What are the correct correct details or P/N for the filter and tool for a GT4?

I see that Suncoast finally lists a filter kit for $32. Is this really the best option or is there an equivalent from Mahle (which seems to be typically about half the price of OEM on Pelican Parts)? I am sure I can just pick up an element from the dealer but for the tool I would rather not pay the Porsche tax and I have not found a site that confirms what will work with the GT4.

I roughly measured the filter housing in my car with calipers and it looks to be the 74mm w/ 14 flats. A little searching showed that the Porsche size is actually 74.4 mm. From what I can find the OEM or OEM equivalent tool is the Hazet 2169.

I was thinking about trying this one:
Assenmacher 2175 Assenmacher 2175
Or this one:
Assenmacher 0219 Assenmacher 0219

There are some reviews saying that it works on some Porsche cars. The construction looks decent.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:47 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,089 Likes on 572 Posts

Its the same as the 981CS and the same wrench. Checked with the dealer i had some left over from my 981CS. Good idea to also replace the plastic canister for an extra $20,they can crack. The assembly #9A110702400 carl
Old 09-21-2015, 07:55 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
Its the same as the 981CS and the same wrench. Checked with the dealer i had some left over from my 981CS. Good idea to also replace the plastic canister for an extra $20,they can crack. The assembly #9A110702400 carl
Really.
I did many oil changes on my 05 Boxster for 10 years and never once changed the canister.
Just have to be careful and not over tighten.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:46 PM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I get my car I'm going to install the LN spin on oil filter adapter.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:36 PM
4carl
Race Car

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Really.
I did many oil changes on my 05 Boxster for 10 years and never once changed the canister.
Just have to be careful and not over tighten.
I havent had a problem with the three 981s Ive had but on past audi's and VWs ive had leaks with the plastic canisters.

From age and heat the plastic gets brittle. For 20 bucks amortized over 10,000 miles why take a chance?

The thing i forgot to mention is to replace the drain plug and washer every time. Its alum with a relativity high torque spec of 37FT LB and the 8mm hex will strip over time. They are about $6 each..carl

Last edited by 4carl; 09-21-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:01 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I havent had a problem with the three 981s Ive had but on past audi's and VWs ive had leaks with the plastic canisters.

From age and heat the plastic gets brittle. For 20 bucks amortized over 10,000 miles why take a chance?

The thing i forgot to mention is to replace the drain plug and washer every time. Its alum with a relativity high torque spec of 37FT LB and the 8mm hex will strip over time. They are about $6 each..carl
I've had no issues with the original canisters on either of my prior Caymans. I always properly torque it and use a quality canister wrench that won't distort the housing.

I bought a spare drain plug 9 years ago, but its never been needed. If you take care to fully seat the hex socket and properly torque it, it won't strip.

Of course, use a new crush washer and canister gasket.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:12 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

I never changed the drain plug either in 10 years, really not necessary.
The only things I change along with the oil is a new oil filter,canister gasket and crush washer.
That's it.
Don't waste your money.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:55 AM
4carl
Race Car

I always error on the side of caution. We're talking nickels and dimes. To each his own,but to spend an extra $ 26 every 10,000 miles for a new plastic canaster and drain plug to make sure you won't have a bigger issues later seems to me like a good deal to me. Then again what do I know? Carl
Old 09-22-2015, 03:16 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

I always error on the side of caution. We're talking nickels and dimes. To each his own,but to spend an extra $ 26 every 10,000 miles for a new plastic canaster and drain plug to make sure you won't have a bigger issues later seems to me like a good deal to me. Then again what do I know? Carl
I change mine about every 6,000 miles so it costs me a little more overall.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:38 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by sonorous
I did a search but did not come up with anything... In preparation for a post break-in oil change I want to buy a filter element and a tool (wrench) to remove the filter housing. What are the correct correct details or P/N for the filter and tool for a GT4?

I see that Suncoast finally lists a filter kit for $32. Is this really the best option or is there an equivalent from Mahle (which seems to be typically about half the price of OEM on Pelican Parts)? I am sure I can just pick up an element from the dealer but for the tool I would rather not pay the Porsche tax and I have not found a site that confirms what will work with the GT4.

I roughly measured the filter housing in my car with calipers and it looks to be the 74mm w/ 14 flats. A little searching showed that the Porsche size is actually 74.4 mm. From what I can find the OEM or OEM equivalent tool is the Hazet 2169.

I was thinking about trying this one:
Assenmacher 2175 Assenmacher 2175
Or this one:
Assenmacher 0219 Assenmacher 0219

There are some reviews saying that it works on some Porsche cars. The construction looks decent.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
Just did my break in oil change this past weekend. What a pain in the dick, my adjustable filter socket couldn't get a grip on it. I then after multiple trips to autozone, bought every filter socket they have. None of them fit the filter housing. They were either to small or to large. I luckily was able to just squeeze my arm through the cross member in the rear of the car to get a good grip on the filter housing and just removed it with my hands.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:07 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone know if changing the oil filter on a GT4 is like the 991 carrera? I think I still have all of those tools.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:26 PM
ZG911
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How are you all changing the oil?
Are you using an oil extractor or simply removing the drain plug?
Does the car need to be on a lift/stands/ramps to access the filter and plug?
Old 09-22-2015, 02:42 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ZG911
How are you all changing the oil?
Are you using an oil extractor or simply removing the drain plug?
Does the car need to be on a lift/stands/ramps to access the filter and plug?
Just removing the drain plug here. Also just had the rear of the car on ramps, granted not a 100% of the oil gets out but it's not going to hurt anything.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:22 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts

So I checked pricing at my local dealer and also included the plastic filter housing since you brought it up. I am not sure I will replace it every time but it sounds like a good thing to keep around to be safe. I got some interesting pricing back. It turns out you can buy the housing with filter element and seal pre-installed and it costs less than buying an OEM filter plus O-ring seal separately without the housing. Go figure? It had the parts manager scratching his head but I will go that route!
Old 09-22-2015, 05:43 PM
xxrockmanxneoxx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sonorous
So I checked pricing at my local dealer and also included the plastic filter housing since you brought it up. I am not sure I will replace it every time but it sounds like a good thing to keep around to be safe. I got some interesting pricing back. It turns out you can buy the housing with filter element and seal pre-installed and it costs less than buying an OEM filter plus O-ring seal separately without the housing. Go figure? It had the parts manager scratching his head but I will go that route!
thats good to know. Do you happen to have the full part number that has all of it preinstalled?

Quick Reply: GT4 Oil Filter and Wrench