Sponsored by: APR

Porsche: If you want LWB, you cannot have the car

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 05:45 AM
Mike981S
Pro

Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by mgerber
Interesting data point. I counted thirteen 991 GT3s at Porsche Day in Redmond WA today. Only 3 had LWBs. Less than a 25% attach rate for this little sample group. If it represents anything close to reality I suspect it confirms what we are speculating: PAG was forecasting a much lower attach rate for the LWB option for the GT4. Probably not much of a surprise to any of us...
Originally Posted by ExMB
How many were 14 and 15 of those? There always is a way to skew numbers and imply a meaning. Remember that figures don't lie.
There were 16 GT3 (of about 24 known) plus one at the dealer in Bellevue (one of the fabled PTS in signal green with 18-ways). I know several of the GT3 owners and several would have gotten the LWBs if they were available, others would not... it would probably have been a more even 50/50 split.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:52 AM
WildBill
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My number came up yesterday and dealer called to offer me a GT4 allocation but I passed to the next guy on the list. I'm getting close to the top on the RS list and gonna hold out for that.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:30 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

I took an allocation without the LWBs. I love the way they look but I love what the car itself represents more so I felt like as a first-time Porsche owner with no relationships to lean on this was something wise not to pass up.

I was really enamored by the GTS interior package prior to this so I'm confident I'll be more than happy.

Last edited by Accel Junky; 06-09-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:58 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
I took an allocation without the LWBs. I love the way they look but I love what the car itself represents more so I felt like as a first-time Porsche owner with no relationships to lean on this was something wise not to pass up.

I was really enamored the GTS interior package prior to this so I'm confident I'll be more than happy.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:23 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 383 Posts

Same as with the .2 GT3's, there will be buckets available after supply catches up with demand.

By my estimate, buyers will probably pay an uptick of 7-8K to have a car they want now and get buckets later. Remember though that if you're in it for the short term, buckets are fetching nearly 100% of purchase cost when resold due to demand. With that logic, you could get the car now and at time of sale, be made (mostly) whole by selling the buckets separately.

I have come to the conclustion that if buckets are not available when my build slot locks, I will still order the car. I went through a similar decision when I purchased my GT3 used (found car without buckets; added later). It was a few more dollars but life is short...
Old 06-10-2015, 07:41 PM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteyDaddy
I'll take sofas
So nice!
Old 06-20-2015, 11:58 AM
FRIZ
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts

On LWB ...I was told yesterday from Atlanta that any order being produced now there will be no LWB . As we all have heard the supplier cannot keep up with the demand . But with that said if your build is in September or later you have a " chance " of getting them in your car . So as long as it has not gone into production and you have ordered them ...If asked they will add them back to your order. ( So I have been told ) That and $3 will get you a cup of coffee!
Old 06-21-2015, 10:54 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 240 Posts
Default LWB have too much flex IMO

Normally, CF is extremely light and extremely rigid. I really don't understand why these LWB seats are moving around as much as they do. Here is a video showing what I'm talking about it. His driving position, the relationship of his shoulders to the wheel, are seeing variations of several inches - thats not right IMO. Please no hate response, this is just an observation - the LWBs are gorgeous but they appear to be flexing too much.

Last edited by matttheboatman; 06-21-2015 at 10:56 AM. Reason: insert video
Old 06-21-2015, 01:27 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Normally, CF is extremely light and extremely rigid. I really don't understand why these LWB seats are moving around as much as they do. Here is a video showing what I'm talking about it. His driving position, the relationship of his shoulders to the wheel, are seeing variations of several inches - thats not right IMO. Please no hate response, this is just an observation - the LWBs are gorgeous but they appear to be flexing too much.
My understanding is that the seats are primarily made from lightweight composites (which could mean fiberglass or even plastic) and is only dressed with carbon fiber. Regardless, even if the seat was ultra-stiff (which would be difficult to achieve without gusseting), a degree of flex at the mounts translates into a lot more at the top of the seat. One solution is to use harnesses, which will add tension to the top of the seat.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:41 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OT, but good lord, what flew by them at 3:30?
Old 06-21-2015, 03:58 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by fishing
OT, but good lord, what flew by them at 3:30?
I'm pretty sure it's this:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620179

GC Automobile BMW 1M Racercar
Old 06-21-2015, 09:33 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by soupy
I'm pretty sure it's this:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620179

GC Automobile BMW 1M Racercar
Yep. But I'm not sure why they went to all that trouble- all 1Ms are that fast.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:44 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm planning on buying them after the fact. I was offered a late allocation that fell through (and I DO feel fortunate!). It was still able to be changed to my spec (that day was the last day), and I requested LWBs. Of course, I got the "nope, sorry" spiel, so I wavered about keeping the allocation. In the end, I want the car so bad, I'm not going to let the seats (or lack thereof) deter me.

What I haven't seen mentioned, especially in reference to those who want to buy them later, is whether Porsche will sell them with "GT4" embroidered in the headrest like the factory orders. I'm guessing if I provide them a VIN (or just drive up in the car) at my dealer, they can get GT4-specific seats, but that would really chap my *** - spend $10-12K on seats and NOT have the GT4 stitching... ugh.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:00 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matttheboatman

Porsche Cayman GT4 - YouTube
There is no way a CF FIA certified seat moves around like that unless it's not properly secured.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:06 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

The seats are probably not moving as much as you think. The movements are most likely magnified by the extreme wide angle camera lens.

Quick Reply: Porsche: If you want LWB, you cannot have the car