Sponsored by: APR

Lithium Antigravity Battery Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 08:01 AM
n3rd
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Lithium Antigravity Battery Review

There has been a ton of conflicting info on this battery. I had reached out to them asking to test the battery. We talked, I paid for the battery on sale and they shipped the battery to me in March 2020. Due to Covid I was slammed at work and had been working nearly nonstop since the start of the pandemic. I finally go around to installing the battery. I didn't put it on a trickle charger and It sat in the box until two weeks ago. I was expecting to have to use the battery restart feature or a LiPo charger due to it sitting for 5 months. It started without an hesitation and more importantly without any issue. I did some data logging for Scott and the Team at antigravity and we had no issues. I've driven it around for two weeks now and have not had any issues at all. If you're thinking about this install GO FOR IT. You won't find a better way to drop weight on your GT4.

Some tech details. My car is a Oct 2015 build not coded for Lithium. This does not need to be changed as it worked without a problem on mine.

Some Datalogging to show how stable battery is. It hasn't been attached to a trickle charger since installed.

Last edited by n3rd; 09-06-2020 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:18 AM
n3rd
Pro

I will upload more log screen shots when my Mac decides to upload the rest.

Last edited by n3rd; 09-07-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:34 AM
Corrado79
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That’s good news. I’ve searched this topic before and found odd claims that it may not work with the GT4. Glad this could be false. I may be due for a new battery soon.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:23 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Corrado79
That’s good news. I’ve searched this topic before and found odd claims that it may not work with the GT4. Glad this could be false. I may be due for a new battery soon.
Originally Posted by Corrado79
Hey N3rd.... thanks for the write up! Appeciate it.

As for those who read or heard of an incompatibility with the GT4s, that has been cleared up. We did some changes to the BMS over the last year and we found the GT4s charging system were occasionally sensitive to our protections kicking in if they sensed any voltage spikes from the system... anyway it just turns out we changed a few settings in the BMS and then we haven't seen anyone say they have flags anymore. ... Keep in mind we only had about 4 people say they got flags, but several other didn't so we were also confused, but after the BMS changes, and after testing for the last year we have not see those issues again. Oddly it was only the GT4s not any of the other cars, so we actually went on the forum and said hold off for a second while we do some testing. Anyway its all good now.

Keep in mind also that upon the initial change out of a Battery, the Car goes to Zero Volts wqhen the older battery is diconnected, so on the first start there is sometimes a flag saying low voltage because the cars system went to zero volts, but after the first start attempt and driving, the Car will again see it has voltage and any flag goes away on the next start ups.

Last we had a Labor day sale this weekend... it was over monday, but for those who didn't know if you call the offices they will honor it today still. 310 527 2330.... keep in mind we are still on skeleton crew at the offices due to the Covid thing so only two people answering the phones real time but the others are working from home, so you may have to leave a message.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:58 PM
Snowy999
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 131 Posts

Great news and great product !
Old 09-08-2020, 01:59 PM
MVEED3
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

AG, can you comment on the random dips in the datalogger plot captures provided (dated 17th and 28th)?
Old 09-08-2020, 02:26 PM
gartzspeed
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Installed mine today, easiest 25-30lbs I have ever lost.Now to put my other one in my truck...
Old 09-08-2020, 03:30 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by n3rd
Some tech details. My car is a Oct 2015 build not coded for Lithium. This does not need to be changed as it worked without a problem on mine.
Doesn't the car need to be in lithium mode so that it doesn't overcharge the battery?
Old 09-08-2020, 04:01 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Doesn't the car need to be in lithium mode so that it doesn't overcharge the battery?
^^

I've had the RS30 in my car for over 3 years, the car could sit for few months & never had an issue with it. Most of the time I ran the Nocco smart lithium charger on maintain mode, sometimes I forgot & it was fine. Never had mine "coded" by Porshce & it wasn't an issue. I recently sold my car & we took the car over to Porshe for "check out". I mentioned to very experienced service advisor the car had never been "coded" for lithium. He said unless it's an OEM Porsche lithium battery they can't code it. Their battery has some sort of code associated with it.
He said the if the Antigravity wasn't causing issues in over 3 years it likely wouldn't.

I wouldn't hesitate buying another battery from Scott at Antigravity
Old 09-08-2020, 04:08 PM
n3rd
Pro

Originally Posted by Yargk
When talking with Scott at antigravity he mentioned that it wouldn't be necessary because their battery can handle up the 15.6v lead/acid charging profiles. I had software to do the coding ready but ultimately didn’t need it and didn’t do it.

Last edited by n3rd; 09-08-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:48 PM
n3rd
Pro

Someone on another forum noted my Ctek wires attached. Antigravity sells chargers but because I already had the extensions from ctek I’ll be using a ctek lithium trickle charger when the car is in seasonal storage.

Last edited by n3rd; 09-08-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:12 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MVEED3
AG, can you comment on the random dips in the datalogger plot captures provided (dated 17th and 28th)?
Yes, interesting for sure...the tracker does do software and firmware updates occasionally and I'm wondering if that might be the case here were it simply won't be able to provide a reading during the reboot but will certainly check with our App developers to get a better idea of what might be happening.
Best regards,
Chad
chad@antigravitybatteires.com
Old 09-08-2020, 09:40 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Please see post below. Thanks

Last edited by Kelsey; 09-08-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:42 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

There has been a ton of conflicting info on this battery. I had reached out to them asking to test the battery. We talked, I paid for the battery on sale and they shipped the battery to me in March 2020. Due to Covid I was slammed at work and had been working nearly nonstop since the start of the pandemic. I finally go around to installing the battery. I didn't put it on a trickle charger and It sat in the box until two weeks ago. I was expecting to have to use the battery restart feature or a LiPo charger due to it sitting for 5 months. It started without an hesitation and more importantly without any issue. I did some data logging for Scott and the Team at antigravity and we had no issues. I've driven it around for two weeks now and have not had any issues at all. If you're thinking about this install GO FOR IT. You won't find a better way to drop weight on your GT4.

Some Datalogging to show how stable battery is. It hasn't been attached to a trickle charger since installed.

I will upload more log screen shots when my Mac decides to upload the rest.

You stated that the GT4 wasn’t configured for a Lithium Battery. I was wondering how you knew that? My GT4 had a build date earlier then your’s. Thanks

Old 09-09-2020, 03:20 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

For question about configuring Lithium Batteries.... a few points below....

1- You do NOT need to change the settings in PIWIS to Lithium at all.... there is absolutely no need to. If you are racing you might want to. All the lithium setting in PIWIS does is provide a LOWER overall charging voltage of 13.8v maximum.... and that is ONLY needed if you are racing at sustained high RPMS ALL THE TIME.... such as racing or tracking.... but for a few track days a year and even more the stock setting is perfectly fine and you won't notice any difference at all. The reason Porsche had the Lithium option was for using their Lithium during RACING... because it can create a slight bit less drag on the motor to have a lower overall voltage and charging output from the alternator. Also they had a crummy lithium battery also that failed alot.... I'm talking the previous version compared to what comes in the 2020 cars...

2- For Kelsey... I think he was just starting the PIWIS system was not set for Lithium in his particular Cars.... the GT4s and most the cars since I think 2013 or about then have a Lithium setting available but as I expressed above you do not need to use it.

Quick Reply: Lithium Antigravity Battery Review