Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Lithium Antigravity Battery Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 11:36 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 268 Posts

More crazy errors on the drive into work this morning. Everything was OK for about 3 miles and then I got the steering warning again. About a minute later things really got crazy, first I got a warning that the e-brake was at fault and this was quickly following by a headlight control error. These errors would then pop up in succession every minute or so. The real annoyance was every time the headlamp error was indicated by headlights would momentary flicker and flash. Other drivers must have thought I was a real a-hole! This lasted for about 3 miles and then stopped, with only the steering error remaining on the dash.

I have a call into the Antigravity help line but they are working remotely so waiting for a return call from somebody ......

Old 11-23-2020, 03:02 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

About 2 hours after my initial call I spoke with a Chad calling from a MN based number. He was very nice, but did not have much to say other than asking me to send my data files which I summarized above and asked for screen shots from the Battery Tracker. He thought it would take a couple of days to get answers but would 'try to follow up before the holiday'. He seemed to hint that unless something could be done with a PIWIS the battery may not be compatible with my car. (Before I got the return call, this morning I switched over to Li battery mode with the PIWIS and it did not help).

Bottom line, the car is now undrivable until I have a chance to put the factory battery back in tomorrow. I anticipate returning the Antigravity battery and staying with the factory battery. Absent new information, my confidence is shot on the application for a GT4. I'm just glad its my own personal car and not a customer car.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:29 PM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It is going to be interesting to see the results when you replace the Antigravity battery with your original....
Please keep us updated.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:42 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stephen Tinker
It is going to be interesting to see the results when you replace the Antigravity battery with your original....
Please keep us updated.
We stock the H6/Group 48 size at the shop so I threw in an AC Delco we had on the shelf and drove home - ZERO issues. All error codes disappeared, no flickering headlights, and the car drove as it should. Glad nothing was permanently fried. I still need to go back into the car with the PIWIS and change back to lead acid, but all is well again.

My purchase date on the Antigravity was November 8, their latest and greatest design, so appears they have not solved compatibility issues with the GT4 yet. A real shame as I had intended to use my own car as a test mule to evaluate if this was something we wanted to recommend to customers. I will most likely send it back, though lightly considering putting it into my C4S to determine how it behaves in a more analog car. Problem is I just don't see the value of putting a $790 battery into a $30K street car, so not sure this is a great application to test.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:53 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,045 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
We stock the H6/Group 48 size at the shop so I threw in an AC Delco we had on the shelf and drove home - ZERO issues. All error codes disappeared, no flickering headlights, and the car drove as it should. Glad nothing was permanently fried. I still need to go back into the car with the PIWIS and change back to lead acid, but all is well again.

My purchase date on the Antigravity was November 8, their latest and greatest design, so appears they have not solved compatibility issues with the GT4 yet. A real shame as I had intended to use my own car as a test mule to evaluate if this was something we wanted to recommend to customers. I will most likely send it back, though lightly considering putting it into my C4S to determine how it behaves in a more analog car. Problem is I just don't see the value of putting a $790 battery into a $30K street car, so not sure this is a great application to test.
I can see your frustrated Jake, its a bummer for me to see, but we spoke to you and I think Chad might have expressed there is a potential that you were sent a battery without the latest BMS.... and we won't know until we get yours back. But trust us if you unhappy or scared we are going to gladly refund you and pay shipping back. I understand there has been some issues with GT4s that we have been absolutely upfront about, and we did clear the problem in most all of them with the BMS change. We now have many many many GT4s using them without issues.

Additionally, it appears you are saying you have to "go back to the Lead/Acid setting...."? Does that mean you changed the PIWIS prior to putting in the Lithium Battery? If this is so, please let us know. I always tell people NOT to set the PIWIS to Lithium setting in PIWIS. The reason being is that the Lithium setting in a Porsche PIWIS is a LOW VOLTAGE setting per the Porsche Bulletins. For example it tells the Car not to charge above 13.8v Max... which is a lower charge from the Alternator . They do this because they are expecting you to have their Porsche Lithium Battery being used in RACEING/TRACKING levels of sustained high RPMs... so by having a lower Max Charge rate there is less drag on the motor from the Alternator.... but this isn't good for daily driving where the RPMs are way lower and you do not have enough energy going towards charging the Battery.

Also please note nothing can be "fried" in your Car, I understand you frustrated, and angry but it doesn't work like that. 13v DC cannot FRY things in your Car. The fact is your car PULLS energy from the Battery... so a Battery is not a device that is PUSHING energy into any part of your vehicle, it is basically sitting there until your accessory such as a light, or or accessory DRAWS energy from it. I have to clarify this because you can frighten people by saying things like a battery is frying anything. It can't and it won't. The only way to fry anything is by reverse polarity connections, or short circuits or putting in a much higher voltage to your system. Last keep in mind the Alternator takes a Cars voltage up much higher than a Battery ever would... meaning up towards the 15v range and above.... the battery cannot do that since it will always want to go to its resting voltage of 13v no matter what... the alternator is the only thing that can make higher voltage. So just wanted to clear that up for readers.

As far as sending the battery back, nor worries we'll send you a return label if they haven't already. Then you can try what we suggest or not. These are rare problems and we are not here to force our stuff on anybody. We have massive success in the Porsche side of things. Sorry your involved with something that isn't resolved, but as I said we need to understand if it was and a previous generation BMS, and if you set you BMS to lithium prior to swapping. But we don't have to go through that either, were glad to just refund and pay shipping back to us.

Regards,
scott-
Old 11-24-2020, 04:42 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Antigravity
I can see your frustrated Jake, its a bummer for me to see, but we spoke to you and I think Chad might have expressed there is a potential that you were sent a battery without the latest BMS.... and we won't know until we get yours back. But trust us if you unhappy or scared we are going to gladly refund you and pay shipping back. I understand there has been some issues with GT4s that we have been absolutely upfront about, and we did clear the problem in most all of them with the BMS change. We now have many many many GT4s using them without issues.

Additionally, it appears you are saying you have to "go back to the Lead/Acid setting...."? Does that mean you changed the PIWIS prior to putting in the Lithium Battery? If this is so, please let us know. I always tell people NOT to set the PIWIS to Lithium setting in PIWIS. The reason being is that the Lithium setting in a Porsche PIWIS is a LOW VOLTAGE setting per the Porsche Bulletins. For example it tells the Car not to charge above 13.8v Max... which is a lower charge from the Alternator . They do this because they are expecting you to have their Porsche Lithium Battery being used in RACEING/TRACKING levels of sustained high RPMs... so by having a lower Max Charge rate there is less drag on the motor from the Alternator.... but this isn't good for daily driving where the RPMs are way lower and you do not have enough energy going towards charging the Battery.

Also please note nothing can be "fried" in your Car, I understand you frustrated, and angry but it doesn't work like that. 13v DC cannot FRY things in your Car. The fact is your car PULLS energy from the Battery... so a Battery is not a device that is PUSHING energy into any part of your vehicle, it is basically sitting there until your accessory such as a light, or or accessory DRAWS energy from it. I have to clarify this because you can frighten people by saying things like a battery is frying anything. It can't and it won't. The only way to fry anything is by reverse polarity connections, or short circuits or putting in a much higher voltage to your system. Last keep in mind the Alternator takes a Cars voltage up much higher than a Battery ever would... meaning up towards the 15v range and above.... the battery cannot do that since it will always want to go to its resting voltage of 13v no matter what... the alternator is the only thing that can make higher voltage. So just wanted to clear that up for readers.

As far as sending the battery back, nor worries we'll send you a return label if they haven't already. Then you can try what we suggest or not. These are rare problems and we are not here to force our stuff on anybody. We have massive success in the Porsche side of things. Sorry your involved with something that isn't resolved, but as I said we need to understand if it was and a previous generation BMS, and if you set you BMS to lithium prior to swapping. But we don't have to go through that either, were glad to just refund and pay shipping back to us.

Regards,
scott-
On the initial install I did NOT change anything with PIWIS. I only made the change after the initial errors in an attempt to try and solve the issue. The data I posted here and the data I emailed Chad was before any PIWIS adjustments.

Yes, I spoke with Chad and he mentioned he thought I had old stock, but he was just making an educated guess. I had to suggest to him that I give him the serial number to look up my battery and determine which BMS mine has as opposed to blindly swapping out parts. I don't want to throw more time at this if we are chasing the wrong issue. Hopefully you keep good enough records to match serial numbers up to production runs and BMS changes?

I have zero concerns about this being resolved, I know you will refund the purchase if necessary. I know you guys are good people, no worries there. But yes, it is frustrating as I've been watching your product for a very long time and waited for you to give the green light on the GT4, saying you solved the problem. So yes, I was a bit surprised to get a dud at this stage.

I distinctly said that it did NOT fry anything. And yes, I am aware of the conditions that will cause that. What I am not aware of, and quite frankly neither are you, is what is really causing the problem in my car. It could have been a short in the battery. It could have been wonky manufacturing that reverses polarity. (I have gotten a battery before with poles reversed!) It could be several things. It is also possible for issues to cause hard codes in the DME that need to be cleared with a PIWIS before normal function is restored, which can be time consuming to track down. So when my car went haywire I had no idea what I would find until a proper, functioning battery was installed. I did that and clearly stated there were no lasting issues.

If it is nothing more than the old BMS, great, but you really need to get better control over your operations. You should be logging serial numbers, knowing the production differences in each batch, and ensuring you don't send old stock out to GT4 owners. Your engineering appears to be pretty cool, but the company appears to be still learning about manufacturing and distribution best practices.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:52 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jakermc

If it is nothing more than the old BMS, great, but you really need to get better control over your operations. You should be logging serial numbers, knowing the production differences in each batch, and ensuring you don't send old stock out to GT4 owners. Your engineering appears to be pretty cool, but the company appears to be still learning about manufacturing and distribution best practices.
Jake I'm just trying to resolve something with you, not get a lashing from you about how badly we suck in our operations from your perspective. It would be nice if you were to step back and try to understand a bit more about this about rather than firing off that we need to learn more in our leadership role in Lithium Products..... Maybe.... just maybe its a simple mis-hap with a reasonable potential for a mistake, which is appears to be from my perspective.

For example I spent some time talking to staff this afternoon asking ... "Could we have sent out a prior programmed version of an H6 Battery?" They said no that most all stock is the re-programmed versions. I then said "Someone is claiming he's getting tons of Flags in a GT4, yet I know others have been reporting no issues in GT4s, so what is up?" So then Chad said he just noticed the Battery is for an H6- 30Ah model..... and I said "yep that's the issue I bet...." And the reason I said that is because the H6-30Ah does NOT have a reprogrammed BMS.

So anyway we have NOT reprogrammed any of the H6 variants of the Battery for the GT4 EXCEPT for the 40Ah version of the H6 battery... And to explain this better, we have over 1500 Automotive Batteries in stock in general, and they all work fine in 99% of the Cars. so there is NO NEED to reprogram all of them because a Porsche GT4 has an issue. The GT4 was the anomaly Car for us, it was the only Car we kept seeing a problem in. So we only re-programmed ONE version of the battery to work with the GT4 since it was not necessary to do it to all the batteries... We did this specifically for the GT4, and the most common size in the Porsches we sell to which is the H6-40Ah model.

So from what it appears, you ,understandably, did not know that we did not reprogram EVERY BATTERY in our Warehouse to these other settings that work for the GT4s. And I also acknowledge that nobody else would know or consider this. But those are the facts. Usually for the GT4 it is a Rennlister atually since it not a super popular Car and they usually call us and ask about it. So we can steer them into the correct Battery. But anyway we don't even talk to 90% of the people who buy our batteries in fact. So we don't know if a guy has a GT4, a Mustang, a Civic or whatever. So the people who call use about GT4 we usually tell them what to buy, but I didn't consider most might just order not knowing this. So I see the potential for this happening.

Anyway just wanted to show you what we feel is the issue here. I'm not concerned about whatever tact you take just let us know and we'll get you the refund and shipping label or whatever you want to do.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:31 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Jake I'm just trying to resolve something with you, not get a lashing from you about how badly we suck in our operations from your perspective. It would be nice if you were to step back and try to understand a bit more about this about rather than firing off that we need to learn more in our leadership role in Lithium Products..... Maybe.... just maybe its a simple mis-hap with a reasonable potential for a mistake, which is appears to be from my perspective.

For example I spent some time talking to staff this afternoon asking ... "Could we have sent out a prior programmed version of an H6 Battery?" They said no that most all stock is the re-programmed versions. I then said "Someone is claiming he's getting tons of Flags in a GT4, yet I know others have been reporting no issues in GT4s, so what is up?" So then Chad said he just noticed the Battery is for an H6- 30Ah model..... and I said "yep that's the issue I bet...." And the reason I said that is because the H6-30Ah does NOT have a reprogrammed BMS.

So anyway we have NOT reprogrammed any of the H6 variants of the Battery for the GT4 EXCEPT for the 40Ah version of the H6 battery... And to explain this better, we have over 1500 Automotive Batteries in stock in general, and they all work fine in 99% of the Cars. so there is NO NEED to reprogram all of them because a Porsche GT4 has an issue. The GT4 was the anomaly Car for us, it was the only Car we kept seeing a problem in. So we only re-programmed ONE version of the battery to work with the GT4 since it was not necessary to do it to all the batteries... We did this specifically for the GT4, and the most common size in the Porsches we sell to which is the H6-40Ah model.

So from what it appears, you ,understandably, did not know that we did not reprogram EVERY BATTERY in our Warehouse to these other settings that work for the GT4s. And I also acknowledge that nobody else would know or consider this. But those are the facts. Usually for the GT4 it is a Rennlister atually since it not a super popular Car and they usually call us and ask about it. So we can steer them into the correct Battery. But anyway we don't even talk to 90% of the people who buy our batteries in fact. So we don't know if a guy has a GT4, a Mustang, a Civic or whatever. So the people who call use about GT4 we usually tell them what to buy, but I didn't consider most might just order not knowing this. So I see the potential for this happening.

Anyway just wanted to show you what we feel is the issue here. I'm not concerned about whatever tact you take just let us know and we'll get you the refund and shipping label or whatever you want to do.
Mishaps are when processes in place that are not followed. Poor management is when processes don't exist or the existing processes create the failure. Anyone reading your response will understand which it is here.

Please send a return shipping label. I have zero interest in running your product.
The following users liked this post:
SBPORSCHE (01-13-2021)
Old 11-25-2020, 09:46 AM
Lvanpelt729
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

The customer is always right... unless you're an antigravity customer!
dnimi123 (01-18-2021)
Old 11-25-2020, 10:40 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

I appreciate you taking the time to share this. I'd been back and forth on installing these batteries and researching if they would work in all my applications, but now I don't need to. Glad I saw this before ordering.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:17 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Out of curiosity can the H6 in 60ah be shipped with the latest bms or should GT4 owners just buy the 40ah model?
tigerhonaker (10-29-2021)
Old 11-25-2020, 12:50 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ajw45
Out of curiosity can the H6 in 60ah be shipped with the latest bms or should GT4 owners just buy the 40ah model?
Yes, the current 60Ah options only have the updated BMS as well.
tigerhonaker (10-29-2021)
Old 11-25-2020, 12:53 PM
Viper pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 67 Posts

I've been following this conversation and thought I'd just mention a couple of things. I drive a '14 CS in which I installed a 70AH AntiGravity battery along with the battery monitor.. I did the install about 6 (give or take) months ago and have had zero problems. I was surprised to hear the the GT-4 has a different charging 'system' or uses different charging algorithms. But I guess it is what it is. Anyway, I like to understand how the CS charging system operates and I've made the following observations: 1) The charging voltage on the CS is influenced by several conditions: When it's colder (OAT in the 40's/low 50's) I can see charging voltages in the high 14's to low 15 volts. Usually high 14's. And that voltage seems to be just fine. No issues what so ever.
2) For the CS with PDK, the charging voltage also is dependent on the driving mode (i.e. "normal" vs "Sport/Sport+" with the voltage higher in the Sport/Sport+ modes and lower in the "Normal" modes. Again, this is all normal and explained in the Owners Manual and other Porsche technical manuals.
3) When I installed the AntiGravity battery I did not do any battery type reprogramming via PISWIS. The voltage readings observed were all very similar to what I observed with the Porsche Lead Acid battery. However, when I did the reprogramming to select battery type as Li the charging voltage during driving was still very similar to what I observed before selecting the Li type. I did not see any reduction in max charging voltage as Scott was stating. Again, no problems with the vehicle and no codes, etc.

So in summary, I'm very satisfied with the AntiGravity 70AH battery I installed in my '14CS. Since we are going into that dreaded 'Winter' season for the next 5-6 mos up here in the Midwest, I've put the car into 'storage mode' (which includes attaching the Li Battery maintainer) and taken to spending way too much time reading these forums! I hope Jake and AntiGravity figure out why his install was giving problems and I'm sure with a little more investigation it can be. This stuff isn't rocket science and as we all know, battery technology is progressing and Li family of batteries will be replacing the antiquated lead acid technology of yesterday!

Good luck guys!!
Old 11-25-2020, 02:38 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Viper pilot
I've been following this conversation and thought I'd just mention a couple of things. I drive a '14 CS in which I installed a 70AH AntiGravity battery along with the battery monitor.. I did the install about 6 (give or take) months ago and have had zero problems. I was surprised to hear the the GT-4 has a different charging 'system' or uses different charging algorithms. But I guess it is what it is. Anyway, I like to understand how the CS charging system operates and I've made the following observations: 1) The charging voltage on the CS is influenced by several conditions: When it's colder (OAT in the 40's/low 50's) I can see charging voltages in the high 14's to low 15 volts. Usually high 14's. And that voltage seems to be just fine. No issues what so ever.
2) For the CS with PDK, the charging voltage also is dependent on the driving mode (i.e. "normal" vs "Sport/Sport+" with the voltage higher in the Sport/Sport+ modes and lower in the "Normal" modes. Again, this is all normal and explained in the Owners Manual and other Porsche technical manuals.
3) When I installed the AntiGravity battery I did not do any battery type reprogramming via PISWIS. The voltage readings observed were all very similar to what I observed with the Porsche Lead Acid battery. However, when I did the reprogramming to select battery type as Li the charging voltage during driving was still very similar to what I observed before selecting the Li type. I did not see any reduction in max charging voltage as Scott was stating. Again, no problems with the vehicle and no codes, etc.

So in summary, I'm very satisfied with the AntiGravity 70AH battery I installed in my '14CS. Since we are going into that dreaded 'Winter' season for the next 5-6 mos up here in the Midwest, I've put the car into 'storage mode' (which includes attaching the Li Battery maintainer) and taken to spending way too much time reading these forums! I hope Jake and AntiGravity figure out why his install was giving problems and I'm sure with a little more investigation it can be. This stuff isn't rocket science and as we all know, battery technology is progressing and Li family of batteries will be replacing the antiquated lead acid technology of yesterday!

Good luck guys!!
Thanks for the comments and your experience with our product Viper. In regards to the 13.8v thing Alternator Charging thing.... I was going by a Porsche Bulletin that I was given by my Porsche Service Tech where I bought my GT3 RS. He stated that when setting the Lithium Mode in PIWIS that it would not allow charging above 13.8v and he showed me this Porsche Bulletin. . So I am going by that assuming he has informed me correctly. I have never had the opportunity to test what the Porsche bulletin shows, but as you say you didn't notice any difference. So that is interesting..

Old 11-25-2020, 03:31 PM
Viper pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 67 Posts

Scott, thanks for showing the Porsche ATI and the reference to 13.8 V max setting (charging) for their Li battery. I noticed the ATI refers only to GT models so I'm wondering if the Porsche software in those vehicles, that controls the battery charging function, is different then in the 981 CS or 991 configurations. It's very possible that Porsche Motorsports figured that the GT cars would/could be fitted with the Porsche light weight Li battery and that battery has no over voltage protection like the AntiGravity batteries. I'm kinda speaking out of ignorance without the technical design information of the charging system behavior for the GT cars vs my 981 or 991 vehicles. My bottom line is that the AntiGravity battery I installed is working fine so far and my motto is drive more and worry less! LOL
Antigravity (11-25-2020)

Quick Reply: Lithium Antigravity Battery Review