Sponsored by: APR

Help me decide: GT350R vs. GT4

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 12:57 PM
MFT
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help me decide: GT350R vs. GT4

I'm on the fence between a "new" 2018 GT350R (has about 300 km on it) and a 981 GT4 with 40,000 km on it (25,000) miles. The GT4 has lots of nice cosmetic options, but is missing the two big ones - sport buckets and PCCBs. But at the price for the GT4, I can't complain about missing those two options.

They are basically the same price, and a 981 GT4 with appreciably less mileage would be about $10k more, so trying to keep it comparable in cost. The GT4 is not CPO'd, but has just had the 40k (24k mile) service done, so all should be fine, just awaiting a copy of the inspection report. The GT4 also has full PPF protection, so the condition seems pretty good overall.

My main purpose would be some DD and otherwise back roads driving on the twisties. Maybe the track once a year, but my no means will that be its main purpose. I'm sure the GT4 will be more agile than the GT350R, but the new GT350R with warranty vs. used GT4 with higher mileage and no warranty is a consideration.

Any insights, thoughts or experience? I am leaning towards the GT4 for its size/agility for the twisties, but I like the fact that I can add a back seat to the GT350R so I can take the kids along if I needed...
The following users liked this post:
HelpMeHelpU (08-21-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 01:26 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 301 Posts

You're on a Porsche forum, so there will be bias here. With that said, the GT350R is a nice car and I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. LWBs can be added to the GT4, but will be expensive aftermarket (might be better to get Recaros if going aftermarket anyways). You should really test drive both, ideally the same day. Then you'll have your answer.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:28 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by MFT
...The GT4 is not CPO'd, but has just had the 40k (24k mile) service done, so all should be fine, just awaiting a copy of the inspection report...
Aside from the fact that these are two totally different cars, providing totally different driving experiences, which should make it easy to choose, my "CPO'd" GT4 purchased last July w/30k miles has been in the shop (9) times in the past (12) months. Before it was released to me, a vacuum leak was found/repaired in the "right side" muffler. Part alone was $4k, but I still have the original "left side" muffler" installed.

The "4 year service/40k mile" (whichever comes first) which was just performed on the GT4 you're considering cost upwards of $2,500...the car will eventually need additional services performed. PCCBs run $11.5k a pair (read, "$23,000, or more than I just paid for my 2019 Jetta GLI, for all four rotors, which can be rendered useless from inside of wheel hitting the rotor when changing") from the dealer, though less expensive options are available.

That said, Ford build quality?

Choose wisely.
SFZ GT3 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 01:32 PM
tr_ms3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had a GT350 and a GT350R. They are phenomenal cars and the sound is intoxicating. The biggest issue is the inherent design flaws of the engine. In order to get that big 5.2 to spin up to 8250rpm with that flat crank, they did the following things: 1, the pistons have abnormally short skirts and 2, the rings are quite loose. Those two things, in and of themselves, are not a problem, but when you combine it with the decision to use a spray-on cylinder liner (which is proving to not be all that reliable in the long term), the result is a $25k ticking time bomb of an engine. With that said, I had 2 of them and beat the crap out of them on the track and never had any issues with oil consumption or compression loss, but I was also not willing to keep them long term to test my luck. And yes, I understand that you are looking at one with warranty, but motor replacements show up on carfax when you go to sell (ask any of the GT3 owners how that's been going for them at sale time), and the number of engine replacements where the Ford techs just haven't given 2 ****s about the quality of their work is staggering.

EDIT: BTW, the GT350R makes a terrible daily driver. The GT350 is fairly decent to drive daily but the R's angle of attack due to the extended front splitter makes every speed bump and parking lot entrance into a major production.

Last edited by tr_ms3; 08-18-2020 at 01:35 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by tr_ms3:
HelpMeHelpU (08-21-2020), Jason Zhang (09-21-2020), paradocs98 (08-20-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 01:56 PM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Both are nice cars. I have right at 15,000 miles on my GT4 and have not needed any repairs other than the transmission recall. My GT3 has 46,000 and has never had a repair. Just all the maintenance of course. So I think these Porsche GT cars are pretty reliable.

As you mention, I love how agile and responsive the GT4 is. A student of mine at Sebring last year had a 350R. Beautiful car and I loved the acceleration and sound. But I learned an education when I came into the turn 7 hair pin and hit the breaks. I thought the 350R was never going to stop. So different personalities for sure.

let us know what you end up deciding.
HelpMeHelpU (08-21-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 03:11 PM
mammothcar1
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I had a GT350 a couple of years ago before I bought a Porsche.
The GT350 has been the only car I've sold after only a year of ownership.
I've since bought a Carrera T, (not a GT4, but similar dna), and to me the GT350 was like taking a sledge hammer to everything and the Porsche is a surgeon's scalpel.
You mention you have kids you would like to bring along for a ride, have you thought about the T with back seats?

Last edited by mammothcar1; 08-18-2020 at 03:13 PM.
HelpMeHelpU (08-21-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 03:18 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I've been looking at GT350's and GT350R's for a while but just can't pull the plug on one. I briefly owned a 2018 R but returned it to Carmax after I found undisclosed issues. IMO the 2016-2018's are ok but I would purchase the newer 2019 and 2020 for the tech refresh, rear spoiler change and other less obvious updates. The earlier cars are not holding their value compared to the later cars which will be collectible (IMO) in 20 years, especially the R. FWIW, the 2016 GT4 is a much better car (I'm biased) and a keeper going forward whereas you'll quickly grow tired of the Shelby. JMO
HelpMeHelpU (08-21-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 03:21 PM
mammothcar1
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
I've been looking at GT350's and GT350R's for a while but just can't pull the plug on one. I briefly owned a 2018 R but returned it to Carmax after I found undisclosed issues. IMO the 2016-2018's are ok but I would purchase the newer 2019 and 2020 for the tech refresh, rear spoiler change and other less obvious updates. The earlier cars are not holding their value compared to the later cars which will be collectible (IMO) in 20 years, especially the R. FWIW, the 2016 GT4 is a much better car (I'm biased) and a keeper going forward whereas you'll quickly grow tired of the Shelby. JMO
This was the word I was looking for, I quickly grew tired of the Shelby.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:30 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

I have nothing but bias to add to the discussion. Never been a Mustang fan.
GeoJoe (08-19-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 04:15 PM
MFT
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks to everyone for your responses and insights. To give a bit of background, I have had the opportunity to own a number of cars over the years, almost exclusively European, including:

MKII GTI (first car)
Audi RS4 (B7)
Audi S4 (B8)
BMW M3 (E90 and F80)
BMW M5 (F10) (with 6MT transmission)
Porsche Cayman (987)
Porsche 911 Carrera T

I am currently driving an Alfa Guilia Quadrifoglio and although it's a great car in its own way, 500 hp in a small automatic sedan is too fast to be fun on the street, and not engaging enough with an auto transmission. Someone mentioned a Carrera T as an alternative, and although I liked the Carrera T and it did fit the kids nicely, I did not find it "raw" enough. I think if it came with the sport buckets it would add to the experience, but then you lose the practicality of the back seats. I have to say the 987 Cayman I had was probably the most engaging driving experience I've had, which is what pulls me towards the GT4, despite its limited practicality.

As for the GT350R, I agree that a 2019/20 would be preferred, but there hasn't been any available that I could find in Ontario/Quebec over the course of several months of looking. Based on some really nice used examples of 2017/18 GT350Rs that I have seen in Ontario/Quebec, one thing I do worry about it that the 2018 GT350R will lose quite a bit of value, whereas the GT4 is likely pretty stable now with the 718 GT4s having hit the market and decent availability now. So, I think the GT4 would be a better financial buy as it likely would retain value better, which is a consideration.
HelpMeHelpU (08-21-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 07:28 PM
9eight7
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 182 Posts

The experience driving each car will be wildly different but if I were to draw an analogy of the cars to the previous ones you've owned, I would say this.

The 987 is 85-90% the experience of the GT4. The differences are minor somewhat minor which are interior/exterior appearance, steering feedback (hydraulic vs DBW), power/torque, and suspension. However, when flying through turns, you'll notice that their driving characteristics are very similar/familiar when driving them back to back. If driver feel and carving up roads is what you're looking to experience then this is the way to go.

I think the GT350R will be closest to the M5 on your list. High hp/tq, heavy, loud, and a big piece of machinery to move. I haven't sat in a recent M5 but I would imagine that the finish/quality inside would be a tier or two/three higher than the GT350R. The GT350R does have a stiffer ride, lower ride height, so you will need to be careful when driving around. One of my acquaintances needed to replace their front bumper and it was quite costly.

Based on what you said you're looking for (DD, twisties, and reliability) I would go for a GT4 with sport seats (not buckets) or even the new 718 GTS (4.0).
HelpMeHelpU (08-21-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 09:02 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

GT4
Old 08-18-2020, 09:06 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 957 Posts

Ive driven both on the track and wow.

Very different driving experience but both amazing.

If money and maintenance is a concern the GT350 is an all star.

You have to drive them both and one will speak to you more.

Buy it!​​​​​​
Old 08-18-2020, 11:15 PM
Lvanpelt729
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Do you want a Porsche or a Ford?
Old 08-19-2020, 01:14 AM
akhbhaat
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MFT
My main purpose would be some DD and otherwise back roads driving on the twisties. Maybe the track once a year, but my no means will that be its main purpose. I'm sure the GT4 will be more agile than the GT350R, but the new GT350R with warranty vs. used GT4 with higher mileage and no warranty is a consideration.
Well, we're similar. I do 1-2 track days per year, a couple more autocrosses, but mostly spend my time driving aggressively out by myself on canyon/mountain roads. It's true that the GT4's potential is somewhat "wasted" if you're not on the track, because it's foolhardy to push this car to 8/9 tenths on public roads, but I still think you're getting (subjective) value out of just with respect to how enjoyable it is to drive even without going flat-out. Also, nothing wrong with that mileage. You're often better off with a regularly driven (and serviced) car than a garage queen, especially if you're buying to drive it and put more miles on it. ~24k is nothing.

I did not consider the GT350R (it's simply not to my tastes), but I can tell you why I chose the 981 GT4 (over the C8 and a slew of mostly German alternatives, including a new 718 and several other used Porsches e.g. 997.2 GTS):
  • The GT4 in particular seemed more in line with the vibe I remember from the older 911s (993/996) I drove when I was younger (relative's cars) than the other Cayman trims or the last two 911 generations. Lots of manual bits and zero tech gimmicks--only the necessities--an analog experience in an increasingly digital world. It's bit of a throwback, like an early 2000s supercar retrofitted with a mediocre modern infotainment system.
  • Just look at it!
  • The flat-six sound is just downright nasty (in a good way). I assume you've driven the car already...the 3.8 in the 981 sounds great out of the box; obviously a matter of taste, but I didn't feel like I needed to change it.
  • The chassis and steering combination is sublime and absurdly communicative. I thought my vintage BMWs were good, but no. And this with EPS!
  • The power isn't overwhelming. That's a good thing? Well, yes: I think it'll probably need more power on the track when I finally get it out there, but it has far more than enough for the road (my primary use case). This bucks the trend of obscenely overpowered turbocharged engines (that often tempt you into doing things that you shouldn't), and I appreciate that.
  • Honestly, it had one of the nicer interiors in the group (at least with respect to what I like), even though that's not really the focus or point of the car. Excellent overall visibility (despite the wing and C pillar) and ergonomics. I thought the driving ergonomics in my E46 were excellent, but after just a day in the 981, I've realized that they're merely above average...not superb.
  • The handling and most everything else is impressively intuitive even right up to the limit. Despiter how capable it is, this is a car that will make you look like a better driver than you are, rather than the other way around. I was easily and accurately hitting rev-matched downshifts by the end of my first day better than I do in the E46 DD I've been driving for eleven years.
  • While I don't treat cars like investments, fair chance it'll depreciate much less than almost any other remotely modern car available at the same price point. As a weekend toy, this makes the TCO shockingly reasonable.
  • 9A1 motor is well-regarded and proven.
I think what you'll find, however, is that one of them will just resonate with you. Even with all of the rationale above, this is a largely emotional and subjective purchase. After driving something like ten different cars, that's exactly what happened with me.

The GT4 has lots of nice cosmetic options, but is missing the two big ones - sport buckets and PCCBs. But at the price for the GT4, I can't complain about missing those two options.
I actually love the buckets, but did not want the PCCBs. They're easy to damage and the replacement cost is outrageous. Most people who track the car throw steel brakes on them (even if ordered new with PCCBs for some reason) for the sake of durability and cost--and if the standard brakes are adequate for the track, why bother with anything else?

Last edited by akhbhaat; 08-19-2020 at 01:16 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by akhbhaat:
HelpMeHelpU (08-21-2020), idyfohu (08-19-2020), Last_935 (10-30-2020)

Quick Reply: Help me decide: GT350R vs. GT4