Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 04:39 PM
JIMMY JAMES
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

This is my first post after observing Rennlist for 2 years. It's a fantastic forum.
I've been saving my whole life for a Porsche and intend to purchase in 2020 for my 50th birthday.
I can assure you all that the last thing I am going to put in my garage is a four cylinder Porsche that has none of the visceral sound and emotion of the flat six.
If Porsche releases H4 in the next GT4 and Spyder, that will blow the current GT4 out of my price range as values skyrocket. Same with the Spyder.
If that happens I'll be disappointed, but will focus my energy on a 981 GTS manual or Cayman S manual, or a 997 manual.
I think a decade from now anyone with a manual flat six Porsche will realise what a special thing they own.
In my view the flat four was a huge mis-step from Porsche. Surely they could have turbocharged the flat six 2.7 engine and achieved an emissions improvement?
As a friend of mine with an incredible stable of supercars said once after driving the 718- the flat four isn't just a bad engine for a Porsche, it's a bad engine full stop.
FYI he has a GT4, 911R, GT3 RS, 918 Spyder and a GT2 RS on order. Also owns Ferrari, RR, McLaren and others. I trust his judgement on what makes a good engine and what doesn't!
Incidentally he previously owned a 981 Boxster S manual (shared with his wife) and he raved about that car. Given what else he owns, that's a ringing endorsement.
The question we all want answered is...did that 718 Spyder video that surfaced a couple of days ago whisper four cylinder? Is Porsche trying to throw us off the scent? Is the dream over?
Time will tell...
Old 03-21-2018, 04:59 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Does this site have the ability to block posts from specified individuals? I searched around the menus and saw options to "friend" people but no blocking.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2018, 05:11 PM
Christmas50
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Ha ha ha ha Somone was not nice to you? LOL!!
Old 03-21-2018, 05:12 PM
Christmas50
Racer

Originally Posted by JIMMY JAMES
This is my first post after observing Rennlist for 2 years. It's a fantastic forum.
I've been saving my whole life for a Porsche and intend to purchase in 2020 for my 50th birthday.
I can assure you all that the last thing I am going to put in my garage is a four cylinder Porsche that has none of the visceral sound and emotion of the flat six.
If Porsche releases H4 in the next GT4 and Spyder, that will blow the current GT4 out of my price range as values skyrocket. Same with the Spyder.
If that happens I'll be disappointed, but will focus my energy on a 981 GTS manual or Cayman S manual, or a 997 manual.
I think a decade from now anyone with a manual flat six Porsche will realise what a special thing they own.
In my view the flat four was a huge mis-step from Porsche. Surely they could have turbocharged the flat six 2.7 engine and achieved an emissions improvement?
As a friend of mine with an incredible stable of supercars said once after driving the 718- the flat four isn't just a bad engine for a Porsche, it's a bad engine full stop.
FYI he has a GT4, 911R, GT3 RS, 918 Spyder and a GT2 RS on order. Also owns Ferrari, RR, McLaren and others. I trust his judgement on what makes a good engine and what doesn't!
Incidentally he previously owned a 981 Boxster S manual (shared with his wife) and he raved about that car. Given what else he owns, that's a ringing endorsement.
The question we all want answered is...did that 718 Spyder video that surfaced a couple of days ago whisper four cylinder? Is Porsche trying to throw us off the scent? Is the dream over?
Time will tell...
If GT4 prices skyrocket there is .1 GT3 or .2 GT3 if you like manual box.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:31 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Eddie, if you want to crank that up a notch add a set of Dundon headers and their tune.
LOL
I emailed you on that subject earlier
Old 03-21-2018, 05:40 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Christmas50
Ha ha ha ha Somone was not nice to you? LOL!!
No not at all. I haven't even posted anything in here in days. But there's a certain individual who was banned from the site a few months ago, came back under a different name but just rearranging the same exact letters in a slightly different order, and persists in crapping on every thread he or she "contributes" to. I've never gotten into it with them, but many have and I'd just as soon not encounter this person's work if it can be easily avoided. I'll watch the news if I want endless sniping and bickering delivered with a caustic attitude.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:50 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Time will tell...
I disagree... I had a loaner and I think the 718S has a great engine. Response is pretty good for a turbo engine. Power is exceptional. It Just sounds like my STI from 2005.

i also doubt 981 GT4 prices will appreciate if the 982 GT4 is a turbo. It might slow the depreciation, but not reverse the flow. It’s a great car, but not rare nor that special ala GT3RS or 911R. It will head down just like the 997 and 991.1 GT3s.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:20 PM
Christmas50
Racer

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
No not at all. I haven't even posted anything in here in days. But there's a certain individual who was banned from the site a few months ago, came back under a different name but just rearranging the same exact letters in a slightly different order, and persists in crapping on every thread he or she "contributes" to. I've never gotten into it with them, but many have and I'd just as soon not encounter this person's work if it can be easily avoided. I'll watch the news if I want endless sniping and bickering delivered with a caustic attitude.
I get it. Some other boards have something called ignore button.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:26 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does this site have the ability to block posts from specified individuals? I searched around the menus and saw options to "friend" people but no blocking.

Thanks
Life has the ability to block people on the internet by just choosing what you wish to read.

Just sayin'

Old 03-21-2018, 06:43 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Yes, there is a way to ignore users. I've got a certain "broker" on my ignore list who is constantly offering GT3 allocations for absurd mark-ups.

Go to 'user control panel' and then 'edit ignore list'.

Can always ask such questions in the 'Rennlist Member Help' forum too.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:12 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Time will tell...
If the 718 GT4 is turbo, the 981 GT4 values will remain stable but not skyrocket.
If the 718 GT4 is 6cyl, the 981 GT4 values will depreciate.

the flat four is actually very capable. 718 GTS is no slouch.
Who ever your friend is might own expensive cars but that dosnt make him an instant expert.... in some cases quite the opposite.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:46 AM
Jasonanv
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free

I disagree... I had a loaner and I think the 718S has a great engine. Response is pretty good for a turbo engine. Power is exceptional. It Just sounds like my STI from 2005.

i also doubt 981 GT4 prices will appreciate if the 982 GT4 is a turbo. It might slow the depreciation, but not reverse the flow. It’s a great car, but not rare nor that special ala GT3RS or 911R. It will head down just like the 997 and 991.1 GT3s.
I believe they made way more 991.1 gt3rs than the gt4.

Last edited by Jasonanv; 03-22-2018 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:27 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free
It will head down just like the 997 and 991.1 GT3s.
The 997 GT3 went back up when the 991.1 GT3 was announced.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:02 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Nothing wrong with a 997.2 GT3 they are holding their own very well
Old 03-22-2018, 06:49 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
but they can be had for less now

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?