Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 02:23 PM
mithiral67
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JPR
Pissed-Off, very.....

Jpr
Better or worse than gen 1? From a gen 1 owner i assume?
Old 01-16-2019, 04:03 PM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Can you explain this logic? The two cars are about the same size and weight and the 911 has a shorter wheelbase and more sophisticated suspension. What makes the Cayman more agile? Just the weight distribution?
Weight distribution is a major issue with the 911. That's why the rear suspension needs to be so sophisticated. The fact that the engine is hanging out after the rear axle means the wheelbase will be short if you don't want a very long car. Rear wheel steering stabilizes the 911 at high speeds (wheels in same direction as fronts) and makes it deals better with the rucksack engine in slow turns. What's the point in having a rear engine (which frees space in front of the rear axle) anyway when you cannot have rear seats in a GT3? Why is the 911 RSR mid-engined?

Don't get me wrong, the 911 is a formidable machine and it looks the part too. And it's still the daddy compared to the Cayman, image wise. I thought about a 991 T or a 992 (non GT3) but in the end, the GT4 has more appeal to me. After 4 years of daily driving in the basic 2,7, I am lusting for a more intense road car. If the hardcore nature of the GT4 means I will use it slightly less casually/daily, so be it.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:29 PM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

4,0L it is then!

Q: if it's basically the same 4,0 from the GT3, but detuned, the 420-425 HP ball park figure seems lowish, not? No doubt a good part of the lost ponies can be tuned right back in?
Old 01-16-2019, 04:35 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow Submarine
4,0L it is then!

Q: if it's basically the same 4,0 from the GT3, but detuned, the 420-425 HP ball park figure seems lowish, not? No doubt a good part of the lost ponies can be tuned right back in?
It's not going to be the GT3 engine. Period!
Old 01-16-2019, 04:37 PM
Ryan_G
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

4,0L it is then!

It's probably the gt3 engine (read: same block) minus the exotic bits like the titanium rods. It will likely not be able to spin as high so it will have a different head and cams because the power band is different. Even if it's the CS engine + 0.2l of displacement, it should make 450hp just by virtue of the extra volume.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:45 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

but lord lucan says it's a turbo motor.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:04 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,294 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Originally Posted by JPR
Got to see both the Spyder and GT4 test cars in Atlanta yesterday up close during testing. Learned:

a. the CS engine capacity is 3.8L to comply with class displacement requirements mostly and that the street car will be larger and definitely N/A (I could have been told how much bigger but then they would have had to kill me).
b.-The exterior detailing is pretty much like the test mules that have been pictured so far and the aero bits are identical to those on the CS pictures that we have seen on the forum.
c.-The mules had the same GT4 wheels of old (bet they will be a new design at launch).
d.-The rear wing fits the car much better in person that it looks in pictures.
e.-It seems that the US car will sound better than the euro because we dont need the particulate filter in the exhaust
f.-Launch is due for Geneva, or so says the local cleaning lady......

Cheers

Jpr
Jpr, thanks so much for this post.
Were you able to hear the engine of the GT4 test vehicle by chance before they parked it?

Old 01-16-2019, 06:52 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

CJ mentioned that it will be a new engine, so my assumption is that it's the replacement for the 9A1 that will be used for both NA and 911 turbo applications.
He mentioned it would be bigger, but that may have been in response to Mr Lucan's statement that it would be a 3L, and I don't believe CJ has clarified his post that he meant bigger than that or the 3.8L.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:53 PM
JPR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Jpr, thanks so much for this post.
Were you able to hear the engine of the GT4 test vehicle by chance before they parked it?
Yeah, sounded plenty muscular. More base tone than the current one. But I also heard in a garage so that may help to amplify the sound.

Jpr
Old 01-16-2019, 07:05 PM
Gatte
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@JPR : Were you able to see if the car was a PDK or a manual transmission car ??
Old 01-16-2019, 07:11 PM
JPR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one GT4 was manual, the second GT4 and Spyder, Im not sure.

Jpr
Old 01-16-2019, 09:58 PM
mithiral67
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JPR
The one GT4 was manual, the second GT4 and Spyder, Im not sure.

Jpr
Thanks you for the information.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:06 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Weight distribution is a major issue with the 911. That's why the rear suspension needs to be so sophisticated. The fact that the engine is hanging out after the rear axle means the wheelbase will be short if you don't want a very long car. Rear wheel steering stabilizes the 911 at high speeds (wheels in same direction as fronts) and makes it deals better with the rucksack engine in slow turns. What's the point in having a rear engine (which frees space in front of the rear axle) anyway when you cannot have rear seats in a GT3? Why is the 911 RSR mid-engined?
The 991 RSR is primarily mid engined so they can run a great big diffusor as allowed in GTE rules. The gearbox is afaik still hanging out behind the rear axle (don't quote me on this), ok it's a automated single clutch manual and not a heavy dual clutch gearbox but the polar moment of the 991 RSR is still going to be inferior to that of a 'true' mid engine car. Now aero rules dominate most of the racing classes, that's why mid engine cars are all the vogue as diffusors play a very large part in generating downforce, especially downforce with relatively little drag. In the past where there was less aero emphasis, the braking/traction advantage a rear engine car had was able to offset to a large part the greater agility of the mid engined cars. The 911 is still probably the most successful racing platform even today after all. Race car diffusors are pretty much a complete irrelevance wrt to road cars due to ride heights....
Old 01-17-2019, 01:21 PM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't get me wrong, the 911 is a formidable machine and it looks the part too. And it's still the daddy compared to the Cayman, image wise. I thought about a 991 T or a 992 (non GT3) but in the end, the GT4 has more appeal to me. After 4 years of daily driving in the basic 2,7, I am lusting for a more intense road car. If the hardcore nature of the GT4 means I will use it slightly less casually/daily, so be it.
I agree completely. I still desire a 911 GT3, but mostly because of the extra hp, the sound, the looks and maybe because it is so iconic, but in reality the rear engine is a flawed design. Some aspects can be used as an advantage, but overall it isn't ideal to have that weight hang out the back. We all know it and I don't care what the purists say. The latest proof is that Porsche moved the engine in the 992 forward YET AGAIN! Another 20mm further fwd. At what point will it just be considered a mid engine car.

Last edited by GoKart Mozart; 01-17-2019 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Corrected 20 cm to 20 mm
Old 01-17-2019, 01:32 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
The 991 RSR is primarily mid engined so they can run a great big diffusor as allowed in GTE rules. The gearbox is afaik still hanging out behind the rear axle (don't quote me on this), ok it's a automated single clutch manual and not a heavy dual clutch gearbox but the polar moment of the 991 RSR is still going to be inferior to that of a 'true' mid engine car. Now aero rules dominate most of the racing classes, that's why mid engine cars are all the vogue as diffusors play a very large part in generating downforce, especially downforce with relatively little drag. In the past where there was less aero emphasis, the braking/traction advantage a rear engine car had was able to offset to a large part the greater agility of the mid engined cars. The 911 is still probably the most successful racing platform even today after all. Race car diffusors are pretty much a complete irrelevance wrt to road cars due to ride heights....
I think the aero improvement is the marketing party line so they can pretend like the mid engine placement isn't in itself superior to rear engine. They also more quietly mentioned the mid engine chassis made the car easier to drive and easier on the tires. Even though the weight distribution was not changed significantly, more of the weight was moved between the wheels including any additional weight they needed to carry for bop rules and that also reduced tire wear.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?