Sponsored by: APR

GT4 RS in the works? Rumors of a 4.0...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 03:41 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
^^ Except the "existing engine" doesn't exist anymore. Suddenly it would be a bespoke, stand-alone engine made exclusively for the GT4. Not to say they "couldn't" but I dunno... it doesn't feel like the formula for this car.

I hate to say it, but what feels like the solution is a detuned 400hp turbo 3.0 from the Carrera S. Competitive horsepower for the class, off-the-shelf engine, a nod towards "legitimizing" the mainstream turbo engines by using one in a Motorsports Div. car.

Not dissimilar to BMW's M path, where for years it wasn't an M unless it used a hand-built I6 bespoke engine. Then they started allowing some of the M cars to have a regular off-the-line BMW engine, but one that was larger than what you could otherwise get for that series of car. And of course, before long turbos were all the rage.

If this happens in Zuffenhausen, look for a 2020 GTX Cayenne Turbo.
This has been covered before many times, that 6-cyl turbo engine from 911 doesn't fit in the 781 body.

The only options existing today in the lineup are a higher power/more boosted 4 cylinder, or a lower revving/detuned 4.0 from GT3.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:55 PM
calvinchan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O5C4R
jebus.... how long ago
About two weeks ago.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:08 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
This has been covered before many times, that 6-cyl turbo engine from 911 doesn't fit in the 781 body.

The only options existing today in the lineup are a higher power/more boosted 4 cylinder, or a lower revving/detuned 4.0 from GT3.
And had you read on you'd see that I acknowledged this fact and moved on to a new position. But thanks for the condescending correction.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:33 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

b) some version of the holdover 9A1 3.8. If it was still in production this would be simple -- jack the X51 atop it, make it fit in the engine bay (I know AP said the standard 911 intake wouldn't fit, much less the X51. But c'mon, really? Or was that misdirection to excuse the 385 number? Also, what's to keep them from raising the engine cover a little bit? They managed to reengineer the whole front end for 981 GT4, surely a little repackaging of the engine space could be accomplished.) However, the whole problem with this solution is: there is no line currently making the 9A1 and are you really going to start up a new engine line for the GT4? Doubt it. But this is the solution I'd like best...
The 911.2 Turbo and Turbo S still use the 9A1 3.8 engine right?

So a NA version of the Trubo's 3.8 engine might be another possibility.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,050 Likes on 2,850 Posts

Originally Posted by LnC993
The 911.2 Turbo and Turbo S still use the 9A1 3.8 engine right?

So a NA version of the Trubo's 3.8 engine might be another possibility.
There would be many parts changes required for that - turbo motor's internals are very different than NA with much lower compression ratio, pistons, camshafts, etc...
Old 06-29-2017, 07:42 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
My uneducated bet is a tweeked turbo 4 with +400bhp and really good torque. The engine bay is different in the new cars and it would cost a lot to accommodate A 6 CYL motor. Given VW needs the dosh, they won't do anything too special.
the 6 fits
Old 06-29-2017, 07:51 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
the 6 fits
6 fits, yes. But I think most people are saying, "there's not an NA 6 anymore other than GT3 4.0, and the turbo 6 doesn't fit." I don't know that to be the case, but it seems reasonable that the 6 and twin turbo plumbing wouldn't fit.

Do you disagree? Do you think/know that the 9A2 turbo would fit?
Old 06-29-2017, 08:29 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,477 Likes on 918 Posts

Remember this too -- I heard several interviews with AP after 991.1 GT3 came out saying ADAMANTLY that there would be no 6M GT3, and for people to get over it. The car is being built to be as fast as possible and that's what PDK does. Now they have completely reversed course. Which is not necessarily analogous to the current 718 GT4 situation, but does provide a look at statements made by Preuninger himself that were contradicted in short order by the actions of Motorsports Div.

One thing is changing from PDK to Manual and another having various engines in the lineup and making them fit. The "transmission correction" on the 991.2 GT3 by the motorsport department was a piece of cake and probably was always considered from the beginning. In case you haven't seen it, a RL member is actually changing his 991.1 GT3 RS from PDK to Manual using the 911R pieces...really awesome work! Check it on the GT3/GT3RS/911R forum.

It wouldn't surprise me if PAG knew what engine would go on the next GT4 from the launch of the original GT4, thus making sure all parts are available down the line. I think on the original AP interview by EVO he mentioned about GT cars remaining N/A for the next couple of versions as that is what the GT customers want and the numbers are low.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:30 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

And had you read on you'd see that I acknowledged this fact and moved on to a new position. But thanks for the condescending correction.
You're welcome, just ya know.. don't make the same mistake twice son.

Sincerely,
#forumenforcer #takenoprisoners #hashtag
Old 06-29-2017, 08:45 PM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

F4T, possibly 2.7 for some differentiation, plus turn up the wick on the boost controller.
this would be awesome 2.7T with PDKS
Old 06-29-2017, 09:27 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

You're welcome, just ya know.. don't make the same mistake twice son.

Sincerely,
#forumenforcer #takenoprisoners #hashtag
Well, for the record I average just under two mistakes per year, so don't be surprised if I make another sometime in the second half. (Although it does seem unlikely that both of my errors this year would be on Rennlist.)
Old 06-29-2017, 10:05 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Well, for the record I average just under two mistakes per year, so don't be surprised if I make another sometime in the second half. (Although it does seem unlikely that both of my errors this year would be on Rennlist.)
awesome.

i used to live in midtown by the way.. virginia highlands.. and i WAS a no.ga.biker.. miss those roads.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:09 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

awesome.

i used to live in midtown by the way.. virginia highlands.. and i WAS a no.ga.biker.. miss those roads.
Nice! Ansley Park, right next door.

But as a "native" shouldn't you call it Virginia Highland? There's your mistake for the year.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:50 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

6 fits, yes. But I think most people are saying, "there's not an NA 6 anymore other than GT3 4.0, and the turbo 6 doesn't fit." I don't know that to be the case, but it seems reasonable that the 6 and twin turbo plumbing wouldn't fit.

Do you disagree? Do you think/know that the 9A2 turbo would fit?
I agree. I already know the 6 turbo will not fit from the carrera.

However, I know the cleaning lady at porsche and she has already seen the car.
She will not tell me anything else other then that she has seen it and it is coming sometime next year.
She said the engine is not what the internet/journalists assumes it will be.
My question is what does the internet/journalists think it will be? i have no idea what the general consensus is.

I sure hope it is a home run as the GT4 racing class around the world could use a nice step up to match the competiton this time around.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:21 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I agree. I already know the 6 turbo will not fit from the carrera.

However, I know the cleaning lady at porsche and she has already seen the car.
She will not tell me anything else other then that she has seen it and it is coming sometime next year.
She said the engine is not what the internet/journalists assumes it will be.
My question is what does the internet/journalists think it will be? i have no idea what the general consensus is.

I sure hope it is a home run as the GT4 racing class around the world could use a nice step up to match the competiton this time around.
Really now.. so they have already finished it?... we never saw any miles around ring even?

Quick Reply: GT4 RS in the works? Rumors of a 4.0...