Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 07:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
I cannot agree with this.
Same size, much different engine.
I didn't want to be Mr. Negative to the guy, but yeah, the GT4 is not simply a mid-engine GT3. Apple - orange.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:29 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
RL does not define the market for GT4s. Only an enthusiast slice of it.
Again, see my experience. Sold just a couple weeks ago.
Individual sellers expecting to get over MSRP? Good luck.

If I'm a buyer I like RL.
If I'm a seller, I may advertise here but most likely sell other channels.

Reality is these are just cars. If you are expecting financial instrument performance get out of it now.
Totally agree, I listed my low mileage GT4 with LWB's on RL. Just to experiment, I dropped the price below MSRP to see what would happen. NOTHING. In my experience RL is a great place for buyers, not sellers. Was surprised at the amount of stupid unfocused questions that the ad generates, i.e. Can you hear the radio while driving the car? Why did you select Guards Red? Do you like Guards Red?, Does your wife find the LWB seats comfortable.....

Last edited by MarkG123; 01-11-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:20 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I didn't want to be Mr. Negative to the guy, but yeah, the GT4 is not simply a mid-engine GT3. Apple - orange.
Agreed. Those that think so need to go drive a GT3 and it will become quite apparent with a press on the pedal.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:27 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS_Ninja
I 2nd this.
Geneva Auto Show is when/where they announce new anticipated models. The talk of the show (esp around RL) is the .2 GT3. Many GT4 and .1GT3 owners are anticipating the .2 GT3 to be released in a MT. A new gen MT GT is a big deal, and would affect the GT market as a whole, esp the GT4, bc we are the only recent gen GT car with an MT.
While I agree the manual GT3 will affect the GT4 market, I think the magnitude of impact is overblown. The .2 GT3 will likely be $160-180k with some options. IMO, that makes the GT4 quite the bargain (still).
Old 01-11-2017, 09:04 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzalo Sanabria
Also, given that they are essentially GT3s in a mid-engine and more compact body with same 3.8 engine, brakes and virtually all chassis parts
Hmmm. The engines are totally different - have you ever driven a GT3 of any kind? If you have, you would know what I talk about. Not even close. Also, the rear suspension on a GT4 is custom for that car, nothing in common with the GT3's. Brakes and front suspension, yes.

As far as pricing goes, we are now past the initial gotta-have it and market hype, and you can see more cars now coming on sale. I think the prices will slowly decline over the next few years as more cars enter the market, and over time the spread in prices will increase depending on usual factors, such as mileage and usage. The car will be keep most of its value for the next few years for sure.

Some of these cars have been driven hard and have a lot of track miles relative to their mileage, that can impact values. Tracking is hard on the car and does cause accelerated wear. I have heard arguments to the contrary, but I do not buy that for a second. I guess it depends on how honest the owners are to reveal this to the buyers. Its the same story in the GT3 world, I see a GT3 with a roll cage and track mate, I expect the price to be lower.

I also think when the warranties come off the cars ( less than 4 years now) the prices will drop more. If a new version of the GT4 comes out, more drop. It also depends on how some of the appearing issues on these cars pan out (3rd gear, towers, etc..) over time. If they are fixed promptly with little fanfare, no impacts, but if not handled right, again possible price impacts.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-11-2017, 09:23 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
An above MSRP offer from a dealer is great! I'd jump all over that. Particularly if you can get credit on the trade toward sales tax - that would mean zero tax on the next one! (either trade or pre-trade it)

While you may be able to get a bit more from a private sale, it will take time and effort. And many buyers would want the loan paid off first, adding complexity. I'd put down the computer and drive to the dealer. Or keep the car - there isn't anything out there as good!
Yes, I'm thinking the same thing. He may very well get 5-10k over to the right person, but much easier on my end. And they are great guys as well..always treated me well. Thanks Bill!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 01-12-2017, 12:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzalo Sanabria
Well, you may be right but Im not sure thats going to happen for sure as one-run Porsches, almost all of them, especially GTs have appreciated to msrp and over, sometimes significantly over

Point is, if there are 2,000 GT4s in USA thats a really small number of GTs and there will be attrition through crashes etc. Also, given that they are essentially GT3s in a mid-engine and more compact body with same 3.8 engine, brakes and virtually all chassis parts the really attractive thing about the GT4 is the price being incredibly reasonable and the very special 6 speed manual fills a void that many of us wanted but couldn't get no matter how great the PDK is I love to shift and be more engaged and this little beast does it all.

I don't even care how many miles I put into it as the depreciation is far from my enjoyment value and most GT4 owners bought it to enjoy such a unique and rare experience
glad you putting miles on and enjoying the GT4, very nice car indeed.

but GT4 is not a GT3 and will never be revered and worship like GT3/RS NEVER.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:23 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five
While I agree the manual GT3 will affect the GT4 market, I think the magnitude of impact is overblown. The .2 GT3 will likely be $160-180k with some options. IMO, that makes the GT4 quite the bargain (still).
True
Old 01-12-2017, 01:28 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five
I'm eyeing a 991.1 GT3 as a compliment to the gt4, but after the 991.2 comes out. Hopefully quite a few 911 guys will want the latest and greatest leaving some potential steals on the pdk equipped gt3s.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:44 AM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

It'll be worshipped more.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:28 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I want some of your drugs.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:35 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 226 Likes on 146 Posts

GT4 market in Canada is strong. Dealers are trying to set and corner the market. Cars are all over MSRP(dealer and private sales), especially LWB and lower mileage cars.

I think the GT4 market will remain strong because next gen GT4 is a way off still, and the car is much cheaper then a GT3 so it appeals to a large audience, plus it's simply a fantastic car.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:27 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

Originally Posted by konaforever
It's all about perspective.

For the people with GT3/RS/Ferrarri/etc. money, the GT4 is just a cool toy.

But for the M2/3/4, C63, etc. crowd, the next step up is the $100 price range.
And for these people, what are your other options for a 2 door $100k sports car? How about a 2 door mid-engine sports car with manual and is NA?
Old 01-12-2017, 03:45 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

I 100% believe that the 991.2 GT3 is going to soften the GT4 market aggressively (and by extension the 997 GT3 market which will in turn conquer some additional GT4 owners). You can already see all of them dumped in anticipation. It'll just get worse. That being said, there is far too great of a floor below them with 981 base, S, GTS prices which are backed up by solid 987 prices. 944 prices are on the rise as well as other formerly "affordable" models. Bottom line is it is getting harder to get a cheap Porsche so I don't see that whole support system buckling enough to let the GT4 sink too far but I see 10-20% below MSRP happening no question.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:50 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I see the GT4 market soften a little in the future..no time soon. But, I don't think it will be much. The GT3 price delta is just too much to have guys ditching their GT4's and spending that much more for a GT car in a stick. However, I do think that the next gen GT4 will have an affect and the degree will depend on the new specs. I've had the RS and GT3 versions and the fun factor for the GT4 car is excellent, even compared to it's big brothers. If I were using my GT4 on the track and didn't have the race cars, no way I would sell it. It's a great car. Just my 2 pennies.

Quick Reply: GT4 Market