Sponsored by: APR

Trying to decide on Headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 12:57 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Trying to decide on Headers

Ok, so I have been wanting to add headers to eliminate the troughs in the hp/tq curves at lower RPM's and that "anemic" feeling below 5k rpm, as stated above, but was afraid to pose this question, so as not to upset forum vendors....but here goes

any suggestions on the "best" set of headers (most reliable power gains, quality, custom service, lack of CEL's) fromm the major vendors here...

Dundon
GMG
Cargraphic
Fabspeed
Sharkwerks
BGB

I would be adding the plenum, intake, TB and tune in addition to headers (catless since I will be tracking).

mostly street driving, but probably 12-15 track days per summer at WGI, Mosport, Pitt Race, Mid-Ohio...

are they all pretty equivalent and really tuner dependent or are there major differences?

any and all advice is appreciated!

thanks
Old 12-26-2016, 01:42 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,458 Likes on 761 Posts

That is a really tough question.

I think BGB and another Vendor above may actually be promoting the Cargraphic headers.

Now - are you looking for Racing headers or those with Cats - I think that is a good start because I do not believe Dundon has ones w/ Cats yet and also your budget because that could be a determining factor. Also - if logistically you are close to one to actually bring your car in for installation that also needs to be weighed in.

I am running FVD LT headers and I think they are great but how much better than Cargraphic, Fabspeed ect??? - Who the heck knows probably equal; in the end

I feel that all of the Vendors above provide excellent CS and support.

I would say right now BGB has been running a Group special for Cargraphic headers which the price is hard to beat.

I think if money is no obstacle I think the Dondon racing headers has some pretty good HP/torque gains that are pretty impressive.

Fabspeeds CS is one step over the top.

***I do not think you go wrong either way.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:45 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,458 Likes on 761 Posts

Okay - just read you are tracking. I think you will need to go Catless because your Cats will get destroed tracking them
Old 12-26-2016, 03:34 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,477 Likes on 918 Posts

He is mostly driving on the street with some track days, so the car is notexclusive for track....I would take a serious look at the upcoming CG headers with detachable cats. Don't know if you are OK running without cats on the street on your region but I don't like the idea, my dealer doesn't like it and the local law even less....so for me it was sport headers so everyone is happy. With these new headers you can have cats and for track days you can take them out, install a straight pipe (probably will also be supplied by CG) and go racing.....with a COBB AP you can upload yourself maps for track without cats or for the street (with cats).

If you are OK at having full time the catless headers then any of the above vendors with provide a great product....as mentioned by Jimmy, the BGB group buy is until the end of month and the price is really good.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:07 PM
GT4Tony
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great question. I am also evaluating headers. Race/Catless.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:22 PM
Tsmith84
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Tony,

Check out my write up linked below about my testing on Fabspeed headers, both sport cat and race. I have been very impressed with them and will be doing another install on them next week. Great feedback from my customers, both in sound and seat of the pants improvements. It makes 2nd gear much more useful on the tight corner exits.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9573...l#post13682215
Old 12-26-2016, 08:50 PM
cingulus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the GMG headers, exhaust and GAIC tune. I am very happy with the extra bump in performance and lowering of the torque curve. It adds more without changing the personality of the car.

Shaun
Old 12-27-2016, 12:50 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

If you're going to track it, as noted by Jimmy, you will eventually destroy the cats. The other thing that seems to be happening to the cayman is that the stresses on the exhaust system can cause the exhaust or header to fail in the area of the flange that connects them together. I thought I might have had an isolated incident with my fabspeed exhaust, but a friend who has about the same number of track miles on his car at COTA suffered from the same problem, though the fail point on his was on the OEM header just before the flange. (BTW - Fabspeed totally made everything right for me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them in the future.)

I think this is partly why the cargraphic race headers have a relief joint. I think I recall John saying that he had asked for it based on his experience racing the cayman. Dundon also has it.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:46 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Catless Cargraphic headers + oem exhaust = win
Old 12-27-2016, 11:33 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

My $ would go to BBI. Seen some before/after graphs and well, they are nice and on par with smoother torque curve than others. And gains exactly what you'd expect with proper design and tune.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:04 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Hard for any money to go to them (bbi) when they don't respond to pm's.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:52 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,477 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Hard for any money to go to them (bbi) when they don't respond to pm's.

Still waiting for my rear wing risers ordered on Black Friday!!!!!
Old 12-27-2016, 06:35 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
If you're going to track it, as noted by Jimmy, you will eventually destroy the cats. The other thing that seems to be happening to the cayman is that the stresses on the exhaust system can cause the exhaust or header to fail in the area of the flange that connects them together. I thought I might have had an isolated incident with my fabspeed exhaust, but a friend who has about the same number of track miles on his car at COTA suffered from the same problem, though the fail point on his was on the OEM header just before the flange. (BTW - Fabspeed totally made everything right for me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them in the future.)

I think this is partly why the cargraphic race headers have a relief joint. I think I recall John saying that he had asked for it based on his experience racing the cayman. Dundon also has it.
So the cats will only be destroyed if aftermarket headers are used, or because the increased power with plumb/intake/TB etc...?

I had ARH LT headers on my ZR1 and went WITHOUT cats for the same reasons of destroying/melting cats, but that was with 750hp.

If tracking destroys the cats, why don't all the OEM cats melt on non-modified cars when tracked aggressively?

Do the guys with stock GT4's/ GT3/ GT3RS' have issues with melting cats on track?
seems like a lot over on the GT3/RS/R board are tracking without removing cats---I know I am tracking the above tracks (2:05 at WGI) with my stock 2015 GT3

thanks
Old 12-27-2016, 09:19 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
So the cats will only be destroyed if aftermarket headers are used, or because the increased power with plumb/intake/TB etc...?

I had ARH LT headers on my ZR1 and went WITHOUT cats for the same reasons of destroying/melting cats, but that was with 750hp.

If tracking destroys the cats, why don't all the OEM cats melt on non-modified cars when tracked aggressively?

Do the guys with stock GT4's/ GT3/ GT3RS' have issues with melting cats on track?
seems like a lot over on the GT3/RS/R board are tracking without removing cats---I know I am tracking the above tracks (2:05 at WGI) with my stock 2015 GT3

thanks
I went through two sets of cats that were on my RS, I don't recall the make, it was whatever cat GMG was using at the time. A friend had the HJS cats in his FVD Headers melt and clog up the exhaust flow. Neither of us were using a tune, which might have led to leaner/high temps.

If you ask the manufacturer about the warranty on their cat'd headers, you'll find that it does not cover track use.

It's just a matter of time and speed....more time or more speed.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

I know of stock gt4 who busted stock manifolds. I also know the cs are having issues.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide on Headers