OFFICIAL COUNT OF TRANSMISSION FAILURES

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 12:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,861 Likes on 2,398 Posts
Default OFFICIAL COUNT OF TRANSMISSION FAILURES

PLS ONLY LIST IF IT IS YOUR CAR UNLESS YOU KNOW FOR CERTAIN THE OWNER OF SUBJECT CAR IN NOT ON RL TO AVOID DOUBLE COUNT
Old 12-14-2016, 12:17 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

mooty

vin WP0AC2A896GK191241
Old 12-14-2016, 12:19 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

LRA

VIN unknown
Old 12-14-2016, 02:08 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,186 Likes on 635 Posts

delete
Old 12-14-2016, 02:11 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ sorry carl, i am blind and clearly missed yoru thread. it appears you killed it? as that page is not available anymore.

is there a moderator who can help and get one thread up, JUST FOR LISTING FAILURE.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:11 AM
4carl
Race Car

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9616...-failures.html

John, you can combine.. C
Old 12-14-2016, 09:08 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

How about making Steve0827's thread with the database link a sticky and let him be the owner of the database and scrutinize to eliminate any duplicate entries? I'll help Steve with info as I can, but he will be the owner of the DB.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9614...-database.html

Having the info in a single file will be easier to view and manage than a series of posts.

EDIT: I just submitted a request to the general Rennlist admin to make Steve's thread a sticky.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:45 AM
Houston GT3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe the data base should have a box upfront to indicate that a car is being reported for a non RL user & then the reporter could list in the comments section the color of car & city of owner to avoid double counting
Old 12-14-2016, 02:31 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Reporting a failure of a GT4 belonging to a track buddy who I am quite certain is not on RL. Happened in Oct at HPR on an upshift to 3rd. I was there.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:01 PM
4carl
Race Car

Originally Posted by okie981
How about making Steve0827's thread with the database link a sticky and let him be the owner of the database and scrutinize to eliminate any duplicate entries? I'll help Steve with info as I can, but he will be the owner of the DB.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9614...-database.html

Having the info in a single file will be easier to view and manage than a series of posts.

EDIT: I just submitted a request to the general Rennlist admin to make Steve's thread a sticky.
i agree..
Old 12-14-2016, 08:09 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,466 Likes on 765 Posts

Does any one know what the problem is??.

Is Porsche replacing with no issues under warranty??.

Is the replacement an upgrade??
Old 12-14-2016, 08:43 PM
4carl
Race Car

im not really sure how many failures there are .looks like around 12-15? Thats why the data base would be useful . there maybe some common denominator.. Who knows ?
Old 12-14-2016, 09:12 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Does any one know what the problem is??.

Is Porsche replacing with no issues under warranty??.

Is the replacement an upgrade??
It's been discussed in the sticky thread, but basically GTGears has visually confirmed from a busted box that the 3rd gear dog ring now attaches via an electron beam weld rather than a spline. In previous iterations of the box, only 5th and 6th gear used such welds, with lower gears using the stronger spline. No word on what 4th gear uses since nobody has posted pics of that gear from a busted box, but nobody is reporting failures with that gear either. Breakage of that weld explains the behavior owners have observed, which is that 3rd gear can still be shifted into but becomes equivalent to Neutral, and other gears continue to function as normal, with no horrific crunching noises or anything like that. That and the fact that the breakage always happens on an upshift are very consistent.

There are still unknowns, however, including whether Porsche specified this change or Getrag did (and if the latter, whether Porsche was aware.) It's also as yet unclear WHEN this change was made, so it may or may not affect all GT4s and it may or may not have been made on other 981 models, although even if it was made there, it's possible that the higher torque of the 3.8 is creating a problem where the welded gear might work fine on other cars. Thus far, though, I believe only "second production run" cars have been reporting failures -- but nobody has torn down a gearbox from an early production GT4 to look at how its gears are made.

As for fixes, it's definitely being covered by warranty, but replacement gearboxes are taking a long time to arrive, i.e. several weeks or even months. One person even waited months only to have the replacement arrive having been damaged during shipping. But even more frustratingly, now that the cause of the problem seems clear, there's no reason to believe that 3rd gear in the replacement gearbox will last longer than the one that just failed, and some failures are occurring in less than 2000 miles and/or with no track use. The gears that GTGears sells all use splines for those who are willing to pay to get better hardware in their cars (and maybe change up their ratios at the same time), but that's a fairly expensive proposition, it will very likely affect warranty coverage, and according to GTGears isn't something that the average shop would (or should) do, so it could be a bit of a hassle. I've also read that GTGears' gears make more noise than OEM, which could be a positive or negative depending on what you want. He's said that he COULD make quieter gears, but they wouldn't be as strong and therefore he hasn't had enough of a market to justify such a product, although he recently posted in the sticky thread asking about interest in an "OEM-equivalent" 3rd gear that he's considering making in light of this issue. The question is whether enough GT4 owners would be willing to pay to actually fix the underlying cause rather than just getting warranty work.

Last edited by jphughan; 12-14-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:09 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

if i had a gear box replaced prior to today i'm 95% sure u have the EBW third gear

a batch of gear box left germany today for usa. i do not know why third gear is in hat

based on the description of symptom
of third gear is not home.... i'm pretty certain it's same
issue EBW third gear.

dont ask me what and how i know all i can say is i sleep with my german cleaning lady
Old 12-15-2016, 08:03 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
There are still unknowns, however, including whether Porsche specified this change or Getrag did (and if the latter, whether Porsche was aware.) It's also as yet unclear WHEN this change was made, so it may or may not affect all GT4s and it may or may not have been made on other 981 models, although even if it was made there, it's possible that the higher torque of the 3.8 is creating a problem where the welded gear might work fine on other cars. Thus far, though, I believe only "second production run" cars have been reporting failures -- but nobody has torn down a gearbox from an early production GT4 to look at how its gears are made.
From the early AP vids, the GT4 has a torque limiter. You would have to imagine it is intended to prevent just this sort of problem occurring. My guess is that Porsche knew it was a weak link, but thought they had done enough.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL COUNT OF TRANSMISSION FAILURES