Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Suntek PPF Regrets

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 09:02 PM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully I can add some value to this discussion as I have first hand experience and feedback from all three films discussed here. Xpel Ultimate, Suntek PPF-C, ClearGuard Nano.

There are pluses and minuses to each film, one may work better for one type of use while the other works better for another. SunTek for example is the "thinnest" and has the shortest warranty of the 3 (5 years). It seems to have one of the fastest "self healing" top coats of the three, but as far as stain resistance and overall durability It's lacking. Its a great film for darker colored cars, or cars that aren't going to be track heavily.

Xpel Ultimate has been the industry standard film since its introduction in 2011. Xpel has been going through many different formulation changes recently, possibly due to their current and ongoing lawsuit with 3M.

As Part of my qualification process, I measure each film with our PTG (Paint thickness gauge). Recently Xpel has been measuring 6.5mils, which is actually the same thickness as SunTek. Whether this is a random anomaly or not I can't say (because if you look at SunTek's marketing they claim 8mil thickness as well). There is a margin of error in film thickness of about 10-15% from production run to production run. But 6,5mils is about 20% off of their 8.1mil claims. I support Xpel and still install their film, but fully disclose these findings with my clients inquiring about Ultimate.

The third option ClearGuard Nano has been a huge hit for me and my clients. It offers IMO the best finish, highest gloss/shine of any film on the market. I've consistently measured 8.0-8.3mils thickness from roll to roll. In addition it has a nano top coat that is self healing, rejects stains, rubber transfer and other debris. The drawback of this film is that it is softer than Xpel or SunTek so does tend to "scratch" easier, but it is self healing as well.

With all that said, its important to note two things. Firstly, any film or protection you put on your car will over time show wear and tear. The degree to which this shows depends on two things, the vehicles use, and how well you maintain the car. And secondly, the real factor in determining the performance and satisfaction you will see out of your clear bra comes down the installer. Clear bra installations are an art form, not a science. Every installer has their own style and techniques which may or may not meet your standards or expectations. Always research the installer first, ask them about different film options, discuss the intended use of your car and let them give a recommendation on film choice from there. I don't believe there is a one size fits all solution, thus why I offer all three types of films.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:59 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Thank you for your input.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:25 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,460 Likes on 763 Posts

^^On my next toy I will take a look at the ClearGuard Nano._ thanks for the info

Are you saying you do not need to add any coating after applying this film??
Old 09-28-2016, 11:52 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Well said and great advice

Originally Posted by TimAD
Hopefully I can add some value to this discussion as I have first hand experience and feedback from all three films discussed here. Xpel Ultimate, Suntek PPF-C, ClearGuard Nano.

There are pluses and minuses to each film, one may work better for one type of use while the other works better for another. SunTek for example is the "thinnest" and has the shortest warranty of the 3 (5 years). It seems to have one of the fastest "self healing" top coats of the three, but as far as stain resistance and overall durability It's lacking. Its a great film for darker colored cars, or cars that aren't going to be track heavily.

Xpel Ultimate has been the industry standard film since its introduction in 2011. Xpel has been going through many different formulation changes recently, possibly due to their current and ongoing lawsuit with 3M.

As Part of my qualification process, I measure each film with our PTG (Paint thickness gauge). Recently Xpel has been measuring 6.5mils, which is actually the same thickness as SunTek. Whether this is a random anomaly or not I can't say (because if you look at SunTek's marketing they claim 8mil thickness as well). There is a margin of error in film thickness of about 10-15% from production run to production run. But 6,5mils is about 20% off of their 8.1mil claims. I support Xpel and still install their film, but fully disclose these findings with my clients inquiring about Ultimate.

The third option ClearGuard Nano has been a huge hit for me and my clients. It offers IMO the best finish, highest gloss/shine of any film on the market. I've consistently measured 8.0-8.3mils thickness from roll to roll. In addition it has a nano top coat that is self healing, rejects stains, rubber transfer and other debris. The drawback of this film is that it is softer than Xpel or SunTek so does tend to "scratch" easier, but it is self healing as well.

With all that said, its important to note two things. Firstly, any film or protection you put on your car will over time show wear and tear. The degree to which this shows depends on two things, the vehicles use, and how well you maintain the car. And secondly, the real factor in determining the performance and satisfaction you will see out of your clear bra comes down the installer. Clear bra installations are an art form, not a science. Every installer has their own style and techniques which may or may not meet your standards or expectations. Always research the installer first, ask them about different film options, discuss the intended use of your car and let them give a recommendation on film choice from there. I don't believe there is a one size fits all solution, thus why I offer all three types of films.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:30 AM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Thank you for your input.
Anytime!

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^^On my next toy I will take a look at the ClearGuard Nano._ thanks for the info

Are you saying you do not need to add any coating after applying this film??
There is benefit in coating CGN film, even though it does have a nano top coat it doesn't hurt to add another layer to help seal the "pores" of the film. CGN on its on will bead water like a nano coating as well.

Originally Posted by TONY AIR C2S
Well said and great advice
Thanks!
Old 09-29-2016, 12:32 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

I appreciate your input but being the cynic from NY I couldn't help but notice your omission of 3M pro series
IMHO its the best on the market. My installer is the one who sold me on it and I happen to trust this guy ...
He has been doing this since the beginning of time
Best regards
Ed
Old 09-29-2016, 12:33 AM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

TimAD did both my cars and my neighbors. Both have CGN and Modesta.

We couldn't be happier.

IMG_2494 by blueprint012, on Flickr
Old 09-29-2016, 12:36 AM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
I appreciate your input but being the cynic from NY I couldn't help but notice your omission of 3M pro series
IMHO its the best on the market. My installer is the one who sold me on it and I happen to trust this guy ...
He has been doing this since the beginning of time
Best regards
Ed
I can't comment on 3M pro series as I have not had enough experience with it. I tried it at SEMA 2014, and 2015 and didn't see a huge step up from SunTek or Xpel. There has been several different formulation changes since it was introduced, and I've heard great things about these as well! Personally, I wouldn't do business with 3M as I don't like their business practices. But I know for some installers it is their go-to film choice.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:03 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,460 Likes on 763 Posts

Boy have PPFs come a long way in 10 years. It will only get better.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:22 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

I can't comment on 3M pro series as I have not had enough experience with it. I tried it at SEMA 2014, and 2015 and didn't see a huge step up from SunTek or Xpel. There has been several different formulation changes since it was introduced, and I've heard great things about these as well! Personally, I wouldn't do business with 3M as I don't like their business practices. But I know for some installers it is their go-to film choice.
I hear you and honestly their film has come a long way since then...
In fact I hear they have something up their sleeve and are going to blow the sock off some people at SEMA this year ....
Their earlier film had a bit to be desired form what I have heard but not anymore
Wishing you the best
Regards
Ed
Old 09-29-2016, 01:51 PM
Rac10000
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

TimAD, is it true that CGN is ~40% more expensive than expel? I'm not too thrilled with XPEL myself ...
Old 09-29-2016, 03:25 PM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rac10000
TimAD, is it true that CGN is ~40% more expensive than expel? I'm not too thrilled with XPEL myself ...
i

Total cost of the install comes down to the installers pricing, the film itself is not 40% more than Xpel. It warrants a premium over an Xpel installation due to its quality and difficulty of installation.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:53 PM
Rac10000
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

i

Total cost of the install comes down to the installers pricing, the film itself is not 40% more than Xpel. It warrants a premium over an Xpel installation due to its quality and difficulty of installation.
Got it ... Thank you. An installer I spoke with said it's a great product (he likes it more than XPEL) but is much more expensive. What makes it more difficult to work with?
Old 09-29-2016, 05:14 PM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rac10000
Got it ... Thank you. An installer I spoke with said it's a great product (he likes it more than XPEL) but is much more expensive. What makes it more difficult to work with?
Because of its clarity and minimal orange peel texture, imperfections from the installation process show up easily. In addition its a very thick film, thicker than Xpel which makes stretching and wrapping edges more difficult. One a scale of 1-10, 10 being the hardest, Suntek is a 3, Xpel is 7-9, CGN is 11.

Quick Reply: Suntek PPF Regrets