Brey Krause R-1046 Harness Mount Truss

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 04:02 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by jslee225
are you guys buying a pair?
I just picked up one. I rarely have a passenger, and when I do, I dial it down a notch anyway so running the 3-points then is no problem.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:43 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Mine just arrived. Did yours not come with the harness belt attachments shown in their online pictures either?

I spoke to both Paragon and Brey Krause and unfortunately neither mentioned that you needed to buy additional parts to actually attach the belts.

So much for trying this thing out at Sonoma Raceway this weekend. Bummer...

Are you saying that the shoulder harness attachments, the holes therein, don't fit into those truss provisions? Unless your harness has snap fittings that require a different mount.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:56 AM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine just arrived. Did yours not come with the harness belt attachments shown in their online pictures either?
Let me get to the bottom of it.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 08-27-2016, 10:01 AM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you talking about the items that have the arrows pointing toward them? Those are just the bolt in plates that should be part of your belts.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:29 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
Are you talking about the items that have the arrows pointing toward them? Those are just the bolt in plates that should be part of your belts.
Hi Jason,

Thanks for chiming in. Yes, I'm talking about the belt brackets that have the arrows pointing to them. My "GT3" Schroth belts came with clip-in brackets that aren't compatible with the 0.47" pins in the Brey Krause unit, not 1/2" bolt-in brackets that could be used on the shoulders.

I've tried a bunch of local track buddies with harnesses since last night and unfortunately none of them have had 1/2" bolt-in brackets like that included with their harnesses (though it seems they all have similar Schroth belts as well that came with eye bolts and clip-in brackets).
Old 08-27-2016, 12:58 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Hi Jason,

Thanks for chiming in. Yes, I'm talking about the belt brackets that have the arrows pointing to them. My "GT3" Schroth belts came with clip-in brackets that aren't compatible with the 0.47" pins in the Brey Krause unit, not 1/2" bolt-in brackets that could be used on the shoulders.

I've tried a bunch of local track buddies with harnesses since last night and unfortunately none of them have had 1/2" bolt-in brackets like that included with their harnesses (though it seems they all have similar Schroth belts as well that came with eye bolts and clip-in brackets).
In that case you may need something like this or similar; made for seat attachments with clip on belts.

Last edited by ExMB; 04-14-2018 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:34 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ExMB
In that case you may need something like this or similar; made for seat attachments with clip on belts.
I think those could technically work if the holes are 1/2", but I think stacking that length plus the clip in bracket length plus the 3-bar length adjuster will being the adjuster a bit too close to the seat pass-through frame for tall drivers.

I think the best solution is a pair of these $2.75 brackets from Schroth (looks like the same as what is shown in the product photo on the Brey Krause site):

A simple "belt brackets not included" text overlay on the photo would solve any misunderstanding.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:43 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Problem solved: Wine Country Motorsports at Sonoma Raceway stocks some compatible belt bracket parts. So I'll just rig these things up for the second half of the day.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:55 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

I finally got these up and running this morning. Wine Country Motorsports was able to dig up some 1/2" hole compatible belt brackets (awesome guys there!), but as I went to install the brackets, one of them wouldn't fit...

It turned out that the distance between the top and bottom steel flanges within the Brey Krause 1046 part that housed the pin and stainless spacer was slightly smaller on one side than the other, preventing the second harness bracket from fitting. I noticed this gap difference yesterday when installing, but didn't think ahead that it could cause a potential fitment issue.

Luckily I brought some beefy pliers with me to the track today, and I was able to grab each of the flanges and bend them back out slightly until they matched the other side. After a little elbow grease, I got them wide enough to let me pop both brackets in. Success!

Here are some pics with the belts snugged up to give folks an idea of the belt angles. I'm 5'11", with the seat in the lowest position, and the belts passing through the upper slot in the LWB.

As you can see, the belts are nice and horizontal, with clearance around the seat slot.

One downside of these brackets is the stainless spacers rattle around a bit on the pin which would be a bit annoying behind your head if you plan to leave them installed. To get around this, I added some foam compressed between the stainless spacers and the front of the truss bar (you can see the gray foam if you look closely in pic #2 above). This keeps the spacers pre-loaded against the pins so they are rattle-free.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:23 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Excellent photos! Really useful to see how this works.

Would it not be better to use the 3-bar bracket shown below rather than using a 3-bar adjuster also shown below. I know you were piecing things together at the track, but it would be good to have your thoughts on what will work best when we have time to order all the parts.

Also, how does the lateral geometry work for use with a Hans? It looks good, but there is not any adjustment possible, is there?

More instructions attached as a PDF.
Attached Images   
Attached Images
Old 08-29-2016, 12:32 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Excellent photos! Really useful to see how this works.

Would it not be better to use the 3-bar bracket shown below rather than using a 3-bar adjuster also shown below. I know you were piecing things together at the track, but it would be good to have your thoughts on what will work best when we have time to order all the parts.

Also, how does the lateral geometry work for use with a Hans? It looks good, but there is not any adjustment possible, is there?

More instructions attached as a PDF.
Good questions. I had asked myself the same thing (3-bar bracket or not) when I was scrambling to find something in stock on Saturday somewhere.

Either will work fine, since they accomplish the same final result, but there are some pro's and con's:

3-bar adjuster w/ simple belt bracket:
- most compact solution behind the carpet, which I think maximizes the chances of being able to hide the brackets within the carpet shell and only have flexible belts popping through a slit added in the carpet.
- allows you to adjust belt length without removing the carpet (as long as you have the adjuster well outside the carpet surface). Ideally not needed once you have it just right...
- con: Schroth says to put the 3-bar adjuster as close to the "bar" as possible, which one has to violate if you keep the adjuster outside the carpet. Not sure how critical that instruction is...

3-bar bracket:
- "simpler" 1-piece solution, though the bracket itself is quite large (creating cons that are the converse of the 3-bar adjuster pro's). I'd need to try it out to be sure...

So in the end, I decided to go with the 3-bar adjuster and simple bracket, but it's a toss-up.

Regarding a HANS, I have a Necksgen on in the pictures. I had no issues with fitment. The belts pivot at the pins, but the horizontal angle is dictated by the distance from the pivot to the pass-throughs in the seat / shoulder location.

(Here you can see the size of the 3-bar bracket):

Last edited by Mech33; 08-29-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:22 AM
francis_william
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mech33,
Will you install the carpet and plastic cover back?
Do you have any photos for the installation and showing where to trim the carpet and plastic cover?
oh , what mount or how did you install your lap belt and sub belt?
Thanks alot mate.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:37 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by francis_william
Hi Mech33,
Will you install the carpet and plastic cover back?
Do you have any photos for the installation and showing where to trim the carpet and plastic cover?
oh , what mount or how did you install your lap belt and sub belt?
Thanks alot mate.
I didn't put the carpet and cover back on yet, but plan to when I have some time to carefully measure and cut.

The unit includes some basic instructions for carpet cutting, so that's a starting point.

I used a GT3 harness which bolts up nicely to the side belt attachment points with OEM hardware, and a Cantrell substrap mount (great unit).
Old 08-30-2016, 05:13 AM
francis_william
Intermediate

Cool ! I am waiting for my BK mount to arrive, also ordered the scroth harness hardware the B24 mount and the 3 bar mount and see which suits best.
My Harness is the Profi II Hans, so I'll see what else I need for the install.
Cantrell substrap mount is in my storage already =D

Please kindly show me some pictures of the side belt mounting if possible.
and I am eager to see how the cover and carpet need to be cut for a tidy installation!
Thanks mate.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:13 AM
Obioban
4th Gear

Originally Posted by francis_william
Cool ! I am waiting for my BK mount to arrive, also ordered the scroth harness hardware the B24 mount and the 3 bar mount and see which suits best.
My Harness is the Profi II Hans, so I'll see what else I need for the install.
Cantrell substrap mount is in my storage already =D

Please kindly show me some pictures of the side belt mounting if possible.
and I am eager to see how the cover and carpet need to be cut for a tidy installation!
Thanks mate.
Here's a clean installation of the R-1046 that Stable Energies did:

Name:  20160826_164839_zpsuwz2n37o.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  205.0 KB

Name:  20160829_091035_zpsq2aaeuo5.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  207.2 KB

Name:  20160829_091057_zpsriqf8ixp.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  156.7 KB

Name:  20160829_091121_zpsau2rlpoz.jpg