Sponsored by: APR

strut tower failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 04:01 PM
jlennox
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GoKart Mozart
I'm curious about this as well. What is the resolution? Did you get it fixed yet?
It's at one of the few shops that have the porsche specific frame jigs in my area. Big shout out to Joe Weinstein for that advice. Thank you. The repair bill is currently at $19k with zero exterior damage. I've had zero issue from the insurance company thus far, thankfully.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:11 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by jlennox
It's at one of the few shops that have the porsche specific frame jigs in my area. Big shout out to Joe Weinstein for that advice. Thank you. The repair bill is currently at $19k with zero exterior damage. I've had zero issue from the insurance company thus far, thankfully.
Did you bring this to Porsche's attention ?

Old 02-24-2019, 02:50 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by James88

Porsche is well aware of the issue. They sell the parts, train the techs and design the jig for the repair. To my knowledge they have not warrantied any of these cases. This is the reason that the GT4 is off my wish list
Old 02-24-2019, 05:06 AM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Man, that's a bad hit—and a bad place for a rock to be in general, let alone for a competitive event. There's a part of me that loves that there's still an event like this out there—and a part of me that says that rock should have been blasted out of there eons ago.

But that guy Tony Quinn might just win for more agreeable, coolest competitor ever. Talk about shrugging it off. Inspiring...
yeah he’s a legend, worth half a billion, yet will talk to anyone
Old 02-24-2019, 05:13 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Pruettfan

Porsche is well aware of the issue. They sell the parts, train the techs and design the jig for the repair. To my knowledge they have not warrantied any of these cases. This is the reason that the GT4 is off my wish list
Its not just GT4, its GT3's as well, the few cars affected seem to have happened from high impact.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:07 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Its not just GT4, its GT3's as well, the few cars affected seem to have happened from high impact.
If a pothole like that can cause the failure, then there must be more than just a few cars. Wasn’t aware about the GT3. Is there an equivalent GT3/RS thread about this here?
Old 02-24-2019, 08:14 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Does the insurance co expect that you would just avoid potholes going forward? Typical pothole incident involves the tire and the wheel which are not covered by standard insurance packages.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:19 AM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad to hear that it is being taken care off, that there is a procedure, and that the insurance is paying for it. I fully expected them to do so. I mean that is why one has insurance. Regardless if it should or should not happen, or if Porsche is responsible for it, if you incur severe damage to your car, it should be covered by your insurance, period!

Originally Posted by hf1
Does the insurance co expect that you would just avoid potholes going forward? Typical pothole incident involves the tire and the wheel which are not covered by standard insurance packages.
Originally Posted by hf1
I'm guessing they think it is a freak thing. Let's face it, these cars are not that common and this sort of thing is maybe going to happen a handful of times in extreme cases. It's not like any other major recall campaign, where the insurance companies would realize this is a manufacturers issue.........at least not yet. My guess is, Porsche will do something about it if it becomes more common and/or the a insurance company goes after them.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:38 PM
jlennox
Advanced

How should I go about doing that? My dealership sounded quite indifferent when I contacted them after the incident.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:31 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,365 Likes on 831 Posts

How should I go about doing that? My dealership sounded quite indifferent when I contacted them after the incident.
Is your dealership Parkplace? AFAIk they have that jig needed for these type of repairs and have done some. Therefore they would already be familiar with the warranty denial by PCNA. James88 is from down under and different rules may apply there. Porsche already is aware of your car since, as posted in this thread, getting ahold of the tower is next to impossible without the broken exchange part.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:14 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Porsche already is aware of your car since, as posted in this thread, getting ahold of the tower is next to impossible without the broken exchange part.
If anyone getting this repair done is able to retain their old damaged part, please post here to confirm.

And if anyone is able to obtain a new one that won't be installed on a car, please PM me. As I posted earlier in this thread, after several different angles of attack, I was unable to obtain a new one. Several RL members offered to help, one was in Europe, but alas, they found the same thing I did, Porsche will only release one to a Porsche certified body shop that has a VIN number vehicle confirmed as needing the repair.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:29 AM
jlennox
Advanced

Originally Posted by ExMB
Is your dealership Parkplace? AFAIk they have that jig needed for these type of repairs and have done some. Therefore they would already be familiar with the warranty denial by PCNA. James88 is from down under and different rules may apply there. Porsche already is aware of your car since, as posted in this thread, getting ahold of the tower is next to impossible without the broken exchange part.
Yes, Parkplace Autowerks. They and a Caliber shop in Fort Worth are apparently the only shops with the jigs in the DFW area.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:58 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
I'd be curious to hear someone like PeteVB or Robert Linton weigh in on the importance of the bonding agent in this scenario, as the real goal is to spread the load and the piece would obviously be held up (and pushed up) by the strut itself. Might not need much (or, effectively, any?) help from the body agent to stay in place. Question becomes what's the best way to spread that loading so the tower top doesn't take the whole hit. And, of course, what happens as that load is spread.
I did do some brainstorming with Hayden on the topic some time back. We got to a similar solution as has been mentioned- a cup shaped carbon fiber reinforcement inside the strut tower. There is some significant complexity in the stiffness and CTE (coefficient of thermal expansion) mismatch- carbon will not expand with the aluminum, and hence the bond to the chassis will be heavily stressed if that’s not accounted for. It’s solvable with the right design and combination of adhesives (rigid in the right areas, some compliant in others) but complex to do right with the available info. Ultimately the potential liability and need for significant customer support on installation seem to make it relatively unattractive as an aftermarket product.

There are already a number of bolt-on options that will partially alleviate the issue to choose from. I’d guess a rough order of effectiveness as: 19” rims with taller tires, stiffer shocks, increased ride height, stiffer springs. Meanwhile the solution mentioned above would irreversibly modify the chassis and might move the problem to somewhere else we have yet to understand. It’s attractive in some ways, but not compellingly so in my mind. Possibly why we haven’t seen a great solution yet.

Last edited by Petevb; 02-26-2019 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:25 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb

I did do some brainstorming with a Hayden on the topic some time back. We got to a similar solution as has been mentioned- a cup shaped carbon fiber reinforcement inside the strut tower. There is some significant complexity in the stiffness and CTE (coefficient of thermal expansion) mismatch- carbon will not expand with the aluminum, and hence the bond to the chassis will be heavily stressed if that’s not accounted for. It’s solvable with the right design and combination of adhesives (rigid in the right areas, some compliant in others) but complex to do right with the available info. Ultimately the potential liability and need for significant customer support on installation seem to make it relatively unattractive as an aftermarket product.

There are already a number of bolt-on options that will partially alleviate the issue to choose from. I’d guess a rough of effectiveness as: 19” rims with taller tires, stiffer shocks, increased ride height, stiffer springs. Meanwhile the solution mentioned above would irreversibly modify the chassis and might move the problem to somewhere else we have yet to understand. It’s attractive in some ways, but not compellingly so in my mind. Possibly why we haven’t seen a great solution yet.
^ Great input. Thanks, Pete.

The CTE issue makes perfect sense, which has me thinking about forged aluminum inverted cups possibly bolted in (or could it be something that doesn't bolt in?) as well as the "straps" seen in the 992 strut towers, though I am curious what other changes (metallurgy?) might have been made along with the addition of those (steel?) bars, which seem intended to hold the strut towers down. Other side is it appears to be a tiny number of failures (vs # of cars sold) with a lot of variables involved...
Old 02-26-2019, 07:07 AM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

it was suggested to me that a mere 5mm approx. thick layer of high density polyethylene or similar on top of the shock mount would absorb a lot of impact on the aluminium casting, however, you would have to see what that would do to movement and feel of the car, and life span? although its pretty tough stuff

Quick Reply: strut tower failure