Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

OEM 20" GT4 Bridgestone RE-71R status

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 11:57 PM
2WheelsRBetter
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello everyone. I've been watching with much interest in anticipation of when I'll be needing a new set of tires. I see that most of you are anticipating the Bridgestone RE-71Rs for track use in lieu of Michelin Cup 2s because they cost less and have similar wear and performance. I regretfully will not have access to a track in the near future (1-2 years). What are your thoughts about replacement for spirited street use? My GT4 came with Dunlops instead of Cup 2s. Would you go with the Bridgestones over Michelin PSS in my circumstance?
Old 09-22-2016, 12:07 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by 2WheelsRBetter
Hello everyone. I've been watching with much interest in anticipation of when I'll be needing a new set of tires. I see that most of you are anticipating the Bridgestone RE-71Rs for track use in lieu of Michelin Cup 2s because they cost less and have similar wear and performance. I regretfully will not have access to a track in the near future (1-2 years). What are your thoughts about replacement for spirited street use? My GT4 came with Dunlops instead of Cup 2s. Would you go with the Bridgestones over Michelin PSS in my circumstance?
PSS would be a better street tire, IMO. It just breaks down on track when it gets hot.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:10 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

For the street, buy whatever is cheaper in the general category
of 'max performance' or 'ultra-high performance and be happy.

Check out the Kumho Ecsta PS91.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:45 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
For the street, buy whatever is cheaper in the general category
of 'max performance' or 'ultra-high performance and be happy.

Check out the Kumho Ecsta PS91.
Good advice mostly. One thing I would be aware of is tread noise. Last time I had kumhos 7 years ago on my old mini they had tread noise like a monster truck. Since the Gt4 let's a lot of noise in as it is, tread noise can get grating on longer drives.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:39 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For spirited street use, the Cup2 and Sport Maxx are good choices... plenty grippy enough, and can get buy in the rain better than the RE71R.

Also, Conti has a similar use tire as the OEM... the Contiforce Contact. I am mounting a set today, and going to the track all weekend... so will post up my review afterward.

Basically, similar performance to the OEM options... but a little lower price and better wet performance if you ever hit the wet. Seems like a great option for a street tires, and/or also a backup set for rain use if you have a separate set of wheels for dedicated dry track tires, such as the RE71R.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:34 PM
doborder
Rennlist Member

I got a set of new cup2 in stock size unmounted in my garage if anyone is interested
Old 09-27-2016, 01:00 AM
stingray84
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Update for those who have them on order: The front 245 is in stock, and the rear 295's are in the US. Bridgestone is presently distributing them to their warehouses for delivery to ours. If you would like to get a set on order please contact me. Thanks.
Hi Damon, what's the estimated date that these tires would be shipped to customers? My cup2 are completely worn. I'm desperately in need of new tires.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:01 AM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stingray84
Hi Damon, what's the estimated date that these tires would be shipped to customers? My cup2 are completely worn. I'm desperately in need of new tires.
At this time we are estimating between 10/5 and 10/14 to get them into stock here. Delivery to customers is usually 1-2 days once we get them into stock.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:33 PM
stingray84
Instructor

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
At this time we are estimating between 10/5 and 10/14 to get them into stock here. Delivery to customers is usually 1-2 days once we get them into stock.
Sounds good. 2-3 more weeks doesn't sound too bad after such a long wait.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:21 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by trebien
For spirited street use, the Cup2 and Sport Maxx are good choices... plenty grippy enough, and can get buy in the rain better than the RE71R.
interesting, usctrojangt3 posted that the RE-71R is better in the rain than the Cup 2s....
Old 10-02-2016, 08:31 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
interesting, usctrojangt3 posted that the RE-71R is better in the rain than the Cup 2s....
I can only speak from tangential experience, not direct with RE-71Rs, but
the two factors that affect wet performance is the rubber compound and the
amount of siping in the treadface to channel away water. Comparing the Cup2
and RE-71 tread, they are close, but I'd give a slight nod to the Cup2 tread
being possibly more water-capable. On the other hand, from what I've heard,
the RE-71R compound is softer and works better at lower temperatures than
the Cup2 so that would give a slight nod toward the RE-71R. Neither is a cold-
weather compound though.

So I don't think water concern is going to distinguish one from the other.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:04 PM
trebien
Racer

Originally Posted by jphughan
To clarify, for warm misty conditions... the softer RE71 is probably better... but when standing water and water evacuation comes in to play, the Sport Cup2 and Sport Maxx have better warter evacuation.

And if you want the best of both worlds... I've been trying a set of Continental ContiForce Contact and their wet performance is supreme to any other streetable track tire I've used, and the dry ain't too shabby. I'm running 20" oem sizes, and they seem to be holding up well to track life, but a bit more sensitive to pressures and heat... they have a narrower performance envelope than the SC2 and Sport Maxx.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:32 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by trebien
To clarify, for warm misty conditions... the softer RE71 is probably better... but when standing water and water evacuation comes in to play, the Sport Cup2 and Sport Maxx have better warter evacuation.

And if you want the best of both worlds... I've been trying a set of Continental ContiForce Contact and their wet performance is supreme to any other streetable track tire I've used, and the dry ain't too shabby. I'm running 20" oem sizes, and they seem to be holding up well to track life, but a bit more sensitive to pressures and heat... they have a narrower performance envelope than the SC2 and Sport Maxx.
On what do you base your rain traction/evacuation comments? The RE71Rs are not yet available in OEM 20" sizing. And what about the comparison of MPSC2s, Sport Maxxs and ContiForces. Is there a test that shows all three together? Have you driven all back to back to back?

Curious minds want to know.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:46 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
On what do you base your rain traction/evacuation comments? The RE71Rs are not yet available in OEM 20" sizing. And what about the comparison of MPSC2s, Sport Maxxs and ContiForces. Is there a test that shows all three together? Have you driven all back to back to back?

Curious minds want to know.

The 20" tires in OEM front and rear sizes are now in stock and shipping. My tires shipped Friday.

And I need them... my OEM front Dunlops only lasted 3 days. :\
Old 10-03-2016, 01:12 AM
never enuf
AutoX

My RE71Rs in OEM sizes were also shipped last week. I've run them in 19" size and they are much better than the stock Dunlops at cooler temperatures. The Dunlops need to be hot to grip, but the RE71Rs grip at all temperatures.

Quick Reply: OEM 20" GT4 Bridgestone RE-71R status