Sponsored by: APR

Gt4 awesome at COTA but sad ending :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 10:51 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Unfortunately, 8K rpm is an overrev. Maximum allowed engine rpm is 7,800 (redline is 7,600). It's pretty obvious by now OP engaged 1st instead of 3rd, but only an ECU check would reveal if an overrev took place (hope Porsche doesn't find this thread). But if rpm was exceeded even by 100 rpm, my guess is Porsche considers it a mechanical overrev (or 'money shift'), and would probably deny warranty. Guess it wasn't such a good idea to post that video. Best of luck to the OP.
Seriously, now you're just trying to scare the OP. BTW, redline is 7800 and unless you have serious overrevs in the range 4-6, the dealer will most likely not give any trouble. Almost any car that has seen any real track time will have numerous range 1 and 2 overrevs and I know of a number of folks that have had warranty repairs done without any issues in cases with range 1-2 overrevs

As far as the video, it will be irrelevant. Porsche might decide to run the DME report which will clearly show the rev ranges if they decide to. Any video on here will make no difference.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:58 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Originally Posted by jslee225
Thanks to all for the get well wishes!

Just to clarify, I have put in about 4500 miles so far and not once have I "engaged" the wrong gear causing a material overrev. I may have missed a gear, but the gear was never engaged.

Dealer just called and they will have to take engine out today to investigate cams. Gt4 will have to be at the spa for at least a week. Will let everyone know asap.
Hey bud, as I said at the track, again, don't stress until you have reason to stress. And don't put too much faith in "internet advice, conclusions and wisdom". Forum advice can often be good, but can also be like Googling a medical symptom - no matter what your symptom, when you search it the conclusion is that you have some horrible disease and gonna die any day now LOL!

Let the facts play out.

Hang in there man.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:19 PM
gac1077
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^Best advice, just hang in there, everyone on the Internet thinks they are experts, hope everything works out and you get taken care.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:25 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Scary stuff. Hoping for the best!
Old 06-30-2016, 02:15 AM
RENN GTS
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Hey bud, as I said at the track, again, don't stress until you have reason to stress. And don't put too much faith in "internet advice, conclusions and wisdom". Forum advice can often be good, but can also be like Googling a medical symptom - no matter what your symptom, when you search it the conclusion is that you have some horrible disease and gonna die any day now LOL! Let the facts play out. Hang in there man.
Best advice in this thread. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:37 AM
jslee225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Hey bud, as I said at the track, again, don't stress until you have reason to stress. And don't put too much faith in "internet advice, conclusions and wisdom". Forum advice can often be good, but can also be like Googling a medical symptom - no matter what your symptom, when you search it the conclusion is that you have some horrible disease and gonna die any day now LOL!

Let the facts play out.

Hang in there man.
Thanks Michiel! You and everyone else is right, I shouldn't worry until I hear otherwise.

Dealer called me today and said they are still investigating. The good this is that my family and I have an awesome relationship with our service guy! He mentioned that one of my cats (header) is deteriorating so he offered if I get him a new set they will install them for free since they had to take them off in the first place! Have to stay positive

So now probably going to order some new race headers / O2 sensors!
Old 07-01-2016, 06:33 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Unfortunately, 8K rpm is an overrev. Maximum allowed engine rpm is 7,800 (redline is 7,600). It's pretty obvious by now OP engaged 1st instead of 3rd, but only an ECU check would reveal if an overrev took place (hope Porsche doesn't find this thread). But if rpm was exceeded even by 100 rpm, my guess is Porsche considers it a mechanical overrev (or 'money shift'), and would probably deny warranty. Guess it wasn't such a good idea to post that video. Best of luck to the OP.
1st. It's pretty obvious at least from the video the OP didn't mechanically engage 1st because if he had the revs would've spiked past 8k shifting into first at 80 mph. From the video there was no such spike that I could see.

2nd. A money shift typically renders the car useless right after the shift is made. Yea there are exceptions but more typically the damage is immediate.

3rd. Since you don't know what Porsche will do, is guessing that they will deny a claim productive. I'm not trying to be harsh but is this in any way beneficial to the OP. Maybe reread your post and ask yourself whether you would appreciate these types of comments if your car was in the shop.

Being right or wrong at this point will have no effect on the outcome not to mention the fact that none of us know what caused the damage. But being compassionate and optimistic can at least make the OP's waiting a little more bearable.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:53 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

^ classy post - I never understand the need for some people to wish the worst on others. Good luck OP and I hope it all works out for the best.
JC
Old 07-01-2016, 01:19 PM
jslee225
Racer

Originally Posted by Underblu
1st. It's pretty obvious at least from the video the OP didn't mechanically engage 1st because if he had the revs would've spiked past 8k shifting into first at 80 mph. From the video there was no such spike that I could see.

2nd. A money shift typically renders the car useless right after the shift is made. Yea there are exceptions but more typically the damage is immediate.

3rd. Since you don't know what Porsche will do, is guessing that they will deny a claim productive. I'm not trying to be harsh but is this in any way beneficial to the OP. Maybe reread your post and ask yourself whether you would appreciate these types of comments if your car was in the shop.

Being right or wrong at this point will have no effect on the outcome not to mention the fact that none of us know what caused the damage. But being compassionate and optimistic can at least make the OP's waiting a little more bearable.
Thanks everyone for the continued support! It really means a lot to have the backing of such a great forum!

Good thing is that I just ordered some new fabspeed race headers, thanks John! :reckon: Seems like the next step since i previously had the sport headers. Can't wait to try it out on track!
Old 07-02-2016, 12:02 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu
1st. It's pretty obvious at least from the video the OP didn't mechanically engage 1st because if he had the revs would've spiked past 8k shifting into first at 80 mph.
First of all, I wish the OP the best of luck. My post wasn't malintentioned at all. On the contrary. I'm trying to help him and others understand it's better to never post any possible evidence that could be used against you. In this case, if Porsche were to see this, they could deny warranty based on that, even if that wasn't the cause of the damage. Heck, most manufacturers deny warranty if damage happened at a track. I've seen this first hand with people I know, and not just once. At any rate, you don't know either what Porsche will do, and I think we're all old and mature enough not to lose any sleep if I don't tell the OP what he wants to hear. He seems open-minded and realistic about his issue, hoping for the best, just like most of us would be in his case.

As far as the video, he did 'engage' first, as the #1 shows. What we don't know is if he fully engaged it or not, but he seems to know what he's doing, so my guess is he caught it early enough to disengage the clutch before it was fully released. You feel right away something is not right, and just abort the shift immediately. That typically shoots the rpm not much over redline, if at all (and that's probably what happened here). Besides, on a light car with relatively narrow street tires, even if you were to fully release the clutch momentarily, the tires just skip, rather than shooting rpm to the moon. In fact, that exactly happened to a guy on a Camaro (much wider tires and much heavier), with no apparent consequences. So the idea of rpm shooting to the moon with immediate catastrophic results doesn't happen that often. Anyway, I've always called such botched shifts a 'money shift', but just realized that it should only apply when you actually damage the engine as a result, so won't call it that anymore. As a side comment, that's why it's risky to buy a manual car used. And not only for the overrevs, but crunched gears and clutch abuse, which cannot be detected.

OP, please accept my apologies if I caused you any stress, but that wasn't my intention. And whatever happens, hope you don't stop tracking your cars and having fun. Have a great long weekend everybody.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:08 AM
myBailey07
Pro

it's better to never post any possible evidence that could be used against you....
That we can agree on In todays world of the internet nothing ever disappears. Unfortunately, even knowing that I still find myself sometimes putting stuff out there that I probably should not. Oh well...

I am just real glad that I did not grow up with social media and youtube and therefore left no evidence...
Old 07-02-2016, 04:13 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Look, I'm sure your a nice guy and I don't think you had any bad intention here. That's why I said I do not mean to be harsh. There's always a worst case scenario, but some times it's just not productive to bring it up.

Most of us have all been there in one way or another, where we run all the worst case scenarios through our heads. And it's times like that I think we all appreciate measured, rational optimism.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing the all good from the OP about his ride. And enjoy your Fabspeed purchase. Great guys, great products. Best customer support in the business afaic. Hopefully you'll b enjoying it in short order

First of all, I wish the OP the best of luck. My post wasn't malintentioned at all. On the contrary. I'm trying to help him and others understand it's better to never post any possible evidence that could be used against you. In this case, if Porsche were to see this, they could deny warranty based on that, even if that wasn't the cause of the damage. Heck, most manufacturers deny warranty if damage happened at a track. I've seen this first hand with people I know, and not just once. At any rate, you don't know either what Porsche will do, and I think we're all old and mature enough not to lose any sleep if I don't tell the OP what he wants to hear. He seems open-minded and realistic about his issue, hoping for the best, just like most of us would be in his case.

As far as the video, he did 'engage' first, as the #1 shows. What we don't know is if he fully engaged it or not, but he seems to know what he's doing, so my guess is he caught it early enough to disengage the clutch before it was fully released. You feel right away something is not right, and just abort the shift immediately. That typically shoots the rpm not much over redline, if at all (and that's probably what happened here). Besides, on a light car with relatively narrow street tires, even if you were to fully release the clutch momentarily, the tires just skip, rather than shooting rpm to the moon. In fact, that exactly happened to a guy on a Camaro (much wider tires and much heavier), with no apparent consequences. So the idea of rpm shooting to the moon with immediate catastrophic results doesn't happen that often. Anyway, I've always called such botched shifts a 'money shift', but just realized that it should only apply when you actually damage the engine as a result, so won't call it that anymore. As a side comment, that's why it's risky to buy a manual car used. And not only for the overrevs, but crunched gears and clutch abuse, which cannot be detected.

OP, please accept my apologies if I caused you any stress, but that wasn't my intention. And whatever happens, hope you don't stop tracking your cars and having fun. Have a great long weekend everybody.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:24 AM
QuickOne
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm curious about the cat deterioration - how many miles do you have on it? Can you get pics by chance?
Old 07-03-2016, 09:38 AM
jslee225
Racer

Originally Posted by QuickOne
I'm curious about the cat deterioration - how many miles do you have on it? Can you get pics by chance?
Btw, the headers were used previously on my daily driven 14BS with 25k miles (never tracked) before i traded it in for GT4 (dedicated track car). GT4 has about 4.5k miles currently, so about 30k total miles on headers. However, half of GT4 are track miles while the other half are spirited driving to and from track

Car is still at the dealer getting spa treatment, and it will probably be for a couple more weeks until I pick it up, but will then snap pics and share.

Last edited by jslee225; 07-03-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:35 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Really sorry to hear. You're in good hands at that dealer.

I had a bad weekend at COTA the other day as well. I should be back in business in a few weeks, and probably wearing a fire suite from now on.

Quick Reply: Gt4 awesome at COTA but sad ending :(