Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Gt4 awesome at COTA but sad ending :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 12:57 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2010 CS is there right now for a bit of maintenance... I'll tell her to say hello.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:11 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by neoprufrok
I read the manual back and forth and the warranty portion makes it pretty clear that the car is not covered if the car is being used in a track environment.
Are you sure? I thought it didn't cover "competition" which is different than HDPE.

I'll take a look at my manual's if I get a chance. In any case if they reject a valid claim based on track time you could easily win a case since the car is built for HDPE. Professional competition of course you're on the hook for is my guess.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:33 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 285 Posts

Take a look at the separate warranty booklet page 10, Note 1: "... driving events including Porsche sponsored events may not be covered.." The "may" word is key imo. I've had minor stuff covered on a car that is clearly tracked and known to the dealer. GT3s with known track history have had engines replaced under warranty. The OP did not mechanically overrev the motor, did not have temp warnings (I think) and was not running slicks (which are specifically excluded in the circuit manual) so I think there is good chance of coverage. The headers is a bit of an unknown but in the absence of a clear cause due to the headers should still be ok. In the end it will be PAGs call if there is a big item like engine replacement. All just my opinion.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:53 PM
jslee225
Racer

Originally Posted by zedcat
Take a look at the separate warranty booklet page 10, Note 1: "... driving events including Porsche sponsored events may not be covered.." The "may" word is key imo. I've had minor stuff covered on a car that is clearly tracked and known to the dealer. GT3s with known track history have had engines replaced under warranty. The OP did not mechanically overrev the motor, did not have temp warnings (I think) and was not running slicks (which are specifically excluded in the circuit manual) so I think there is good chance of coverage. The headers is a bit of an unknown but in the absence of a clear cause due to the headers should still be ok. In the end it will be PAGs call if there is a big item like engine replacement. All just my opinion.
Correct I did not get an overheat warning. Wishing for the best!

*Crosses fingers*
Old 06-28-2016, 04:58 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,522 Likes on 653 Posts

Good luck. Hoping for a quick, easy, WARRANTIED remedy!
Old 06-28-2016, 06:01 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
Are you sure? I thought it didn't cover "competition" which is different than HDPE.

I'll take a look at my manual's if I get a chance. In any case if they reject a valid claim based on track time you could easily win a case since the car is built for HDPE. Professional competition of course you're on the hook for is my guess.
I have been known to be wrong... So I'll look again. 😉😉 I know that amongst friends who own various cars only Chevy and McLaren are ok with non competition track days. I take my 675 out and I just need to do pre and post track inspections. I'll take the GT4 out of course but it would make me feel a little better going hard on her.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:08 PM
Quack
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jslee225
Thanks to all for the get well wishes!

Just to clarify, I have put in about 4500 miles so far and not once have I "engaged" the wrong gear causing a material overrev. I may have missed a gear, but the gear was never engaged.

Dealer just called and they will have to take engine out today to investigate cams. Gt4 will have to be at the spa for at least a week. Will let everyone know asap.

No worries. Wasn't sure from the video. I hope this is covered by warranty for you.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:15 PM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I wasn't in the car and wasn't driving so you will know better than I will, and it doesn't LOOK like you put it in first... but it sort of sounds like it. It might just be blurry but look at the gear indicator...

Old 06-28-2016, 07:05 PM
trebien
Racer

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
I wasn't in the car and wasn't driving so you will know better than I will, and it doesn't LOOK like you put it in first... but it sort of sounds like it. It might just be blurry but look at the gear indicator...
That missed shift at 7:30 is difficult to tell exactly what happened. It kind of looks like when going for 3rd, the shifter hit the gate between 1st and 3rd and didn't engage... the auto-rev feature reved up to 7800 in anticipation of a shift to 1st (hence the indicator displaying "1"), but maybe it never was fully in 1st, just sounded like it due to the auto-rev-match flooring the engine to match RPMs. Who knows...
Old 06-29-2016, 01:05 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil level checked before the runs?
Old 06-29-2016, 01:33 AM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by trebien
That missed shift at 7:30 is difficult to tell exactly what happened. It kind of looks like when going for 3rd, the shifter hit the gate between 1st and 3rd and didn't engage... the auto-rev feature reved up to 7800 in anticipation of a shift to 1st (hence the indicator displaying "1"), but maybe it never was fully in 1st, just sounded like it due to the auto-rev-match flooring the engine to match RPMs. Who knows...
Yeah. It's really hard to tell and I don't mean to speculate on something that could potentially be bad, but hoping for the best.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:37 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
Yeah. It's really hard to tell and I don't mean to speculate on something that could potentially be bad, but hoping for the best.
Good catch with the pic. You could start your own detective agency. Lol. It looks like that is precisely what happened.

I watched the video again, I didn't see the needle at anytime exceed 8k RPM so based on the video and the picture it seems clear 1st gear was never mechanically engaged but the OP did almost engage it as the 1st gear indicator did light up momentarily before the corrected shift into 3rd was executed.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:40 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,863 Posts

Originally Posted by neoprufrok
Anyways, I worry about tracking the GT4 for these reasons, so please let us know what the dealer says.
Recent Porsche GT cars (991 and 981) are covered by warranty on track, as long as not using real racing tires (slicks) or participating in actual racing. A fault caused by over-rev due to driver error will never be covered though (hope this was not the cause)...
Old 06-29-2016, 02:59 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One would think that the over-rev...if it was an issue, would manifest itself sooner than another 2+ minutes down the road.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:07 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu
I watched the video again, I didn't see the needle at anytime exceed 8k RPM
Unfortunately, 8K rpm is an overrev. Maximum allowed engine rpm is 7,800 (redline is 7,600). It's pretty obvious by now OP engaged 1st instead of 3rd, but only an ECU check would reveal if an overrev took place (hope Porsche doesn't find this thread). But if rpm was exceeded even by 100 rpm, my guess is Porsche considers it a mechanical overrev (or 'money shift'), and would probably deny warranty. Guess it wasn't such a good idea to post that video. Best of luck to the OP.

Quick Reply: Gt4 awesome at COTA but sad ending :(