Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Crazy Dunlop tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 03:54 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks Kirkeym, I Wonder what those recommendations would be for the Dunlops and RE-71Rs
Old 08-18-2016, 04:08 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Not sure but the RE71Rs can't compare in grip. I'm a bit of speed junkie and other than R7s or Trofeo Rs nothing is close to the MPSC2 grip for a road track. Its definitely a balance between speed and cost though.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by kirkeym
Not sure but the RE71Rs can't compare in grip. I'm a bit of speed junkie and other than R7s or Trofeo Rs nothing is close to the MPSC2 grip for a road track. Its definitely a balance between speed and cost though.
Umm.... Have you driven on re71r? They are just as grippy as cup2. A pro tested the re71r against nt01 and they were equivalent
Old 08-18-2016, 04:16 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reference or background info?

Several users of the RE71R have been impressed with the grip, at least on par with the Sport Cup 2.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:32 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

True, proving out which is better without official testing isn't possible. I haven't tested each tire individually but after a couple dozen events and speaking with others (mostly Porsches) it seems that the MPSC2 (along with Trofeo R) has at least the same, or better grip, than just about anything before moving to R7's. The R7s are at least 2+ seconds quicker around Tremblant (a 5km track). Perhaps it because of available tire sizes that more guys are running the MPSC2. I have heard the Nitto NTO1's are great tires at a reasonable price, not the right size for my car. As for the RE71R on tire rack they classify it as a summer extreme performer whereas the MPSC2 is a streetable track/comp tire. Again sizes don't work for my car. Other than the R7 I'm betting all of these tires provide a fairly similar level in of grip - and it comes down to the experience and quality of driver that will make the biggest difference.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:54 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

True, proving out which is better without official testing isn't possible. I haven't tested each tire individually but after a couple dozen events and speaking with others (mostly Porsches) it seems that the MPSC2 (along with Trofeo R) has at least the same, or better grip, than just about anything before moving to R7's. The R7s are at least 2+ seconds quicker around Tremblant (a 5km track). Perhaps it because of available tire sizes that more guys are running the MPSC2. I have heard the Nitto NTO1's are great tires at a reasonable price, not the right size for my car. As for the RE71R on tire rack they classify it as a summer extreme performer whereas the MPSC2 is a streetable track/comp tire. Again sizes don't work for my car. Other than the R7 I'm betting all of these tires provide a fairly similar level in of grip - and it comes down to the experience and quality of driver that will make the biggest difference.
I've driven on cup2, NT01, trofeoR, Dunlop sport maxx race, and RE71R

Of the 4, I prefer RE71R the most and absolutely despise TrofeoR
RE71R have just as much grip the other tires (yes, I have accelerometer data that shows 1.3G of grip before breakaway), are substantially cheaper than cup2 and trofeoR, and are the most CONSISTENT tire of all of them. You can drive on them lap after lap with no dropoff in grip. All of the other tires start to drop off after 4-5 laps.

The trofeoR are the worst track tire I've ever driven on. Very inconsistent. Very fussy. Are only good for maybe 1 or 2 days, and cost the most. Nobody I know of here in norcal has been faster on those tires. I went through 2 sets thinking I was doing it wrong. Never again.

I think you are being fooled by bridgestone marketing these tires for autocross people. Autocrossers have rules that limit tire use based on treadwear rating. Since there is no standard, the manufacturer will purposely give the tires higher treadwear ratings in order to squeeze them past autocross rules and make them the next 'great' street autocross tire even though it is really a track tire

Here is your official test
http://www.prima-racing.com/bridgest...king-part-two/
Old 08-18-2016, 05:01 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Thanks for your real world experience. I will definitely have a closer look at the RE71R and look for others using them. They seem to also have a longer tread life and lower price than MPSC2's which is a big plus and are available in 19's.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for your real world experience. I will definitely have a closer look at the RE71R and look for others using them. They seem to also have a longer tread life and lower price than MPSC2's which is a big plus and are available in 19's.
Don't let the TW rating fool you. It's a sham as I mentioned above. Longevity, at least with track use, is equivalent to cup2. Still, at 1/2 the cost and with much better consistency, it's a no brainer
Old 08-19-2016, 10:59 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

I'm now a fan of RE-71Rs. Price is great and I can get them at Costco here in Canada.

They are quite grippy and even worn out were still good enough to feel safe til the end of the track day. I was able to run 1.5sec faster at Calabogie on a worn pair of RE-71Rs with a missed shift in the main straight compared to brand new Dunlops the year prior. Then again I'm also more confident in my GT4 than I was first time around. Will see how they compare at Tremblant in 2 weeks.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:03 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Ill be there on my slightly worn Cup2s.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:12 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

On the 31st? Yellow GT4?
Old 08-19-2016, 03:32 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

with Rennsport on Aug26-28 for a DE event. I have a Gray 991s
Old 08-19-2016, 04:55 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Inrev
I'm now a fan of RE-71Rs. Price is great and I can get them at Costco here in Canada.
You can get RE71R in Canada through Costco already? Were these for 19" wheels, not the OEM?

Jealous of Tremblant... I've heard good things, but that's a helluva road trip for me. I was there last fall in Mont-Tremblant, and there was a PCA event going on the same weekend... tons of Porsches running around made me want to be on that track.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:17 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Got fronts from Costco as the rears were back ordered. In 19in size
Old 09-25-2016, 01:40 AM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

deleted; no longer relevant.

Last edited by simplex; 10-01-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Crazy Dunlop tire wear