How do you wash your cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 06:19 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu
I like washing my car.

The biggest problem I have There always some dust or soemthing that gets on it. You can see it under LED lighting. I even have a dedicated clean vacuum as an air blower to blow off dust.

Arch. You say you got the opticoat. I've been really thinking of pulling the trigger on xpel but I don't like waxing my car with a clear bra or waxing half the car. I just don't like it. I might get it anyway. Idk yet Does the opti help at all against chips. Thanks.
No, the nano coatings do nothing to protect against rock chips. They keep out contaminants and make cleaning the car easier, that's it. I have no issues with rock chips, as I want my car to age naturally and not look pristine. But I want it to be easy to clean and the least amount of swirls possible.

For washing, I have some OptimaNoRinse, but haven't used it yet. Probably going to start using that some soon. My detailer swears by it.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:21 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
Can you waterless guys give me some product/process recommendations? I'd like to try it. In my county I think technically you can still get fined for washing the car because of the drought. And I like the idea of having my garage door shut so the 16 year old kid in my neighborhood won't come over ask me if I've ever raced a bugatti, and to tell me how fast bugattis are.
Wolfgang Waterless/Rinseless concentrate from Autogeek. $20.

Search the autogeekonline . net forum for an explanation on best techniques. You really do need to be careful to spray on some of hte solution to pre-treat, use many long nap towels, and use each side of a towel for only one pass. You do not want to rub dirt into your paint.

I agree with the prior poster that said that the best way to avoid swirls is to avoid touching your paint. Even clean paint can be scratched by a spec of dust in your towel. I don't overly worry about it because life is too short, but this is also the reason I don't do rinseless, much less if the car is extremely dirty.

Re the CR Spotless unit. The owner of this business did a demo for my Lotus club maybe 7-8 years ago, thought it was a great product. Never bothered with it because I spray my Quick detailer product on my car while it is still wet. But for those that don't use this technique, it's a good product.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:48 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

Wow, some of you freaks (I mean that in the nicest of ways) take your wheels off to wash the car?? Man, I love this place.

For those using pressure washers, which one are you using and why? I'm looking to get one so I can use a foam cannon - I don't need to clean concrete or anything. Looking for an inexpensive electric one and came across:

Sun Joe SPX3001

AR Blue Clean AR390SS AR Blue Clean AR390SS

Both are at least 2000psi, but the AR is 1.4 GPM and the Joe is 1.76. Both around $200-220 range.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:50 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by switchface
Wow, some of you freaks (I mean that in the nicest of ways) take your wheels off to wash the car?? Man, I love this place.

For those using pressure washers, which one are you using and why? I'm looking to get one so I can use a foam cannon - I don't need to clean concrete or anything. Looking for an inexpensive electric one and came across:

Sun Joe SPX3001

AR Blue Clean AR390SS.

Both are at least 2000psi, but the AR is 1.4 GPM and the Joe is 1.76. Both around $200-220 range.
I have the AR390SS and love it... The Hose Reel is useless however because the hose is way to stiff. I use it with a MTM Foam Cannon and couldnt be happier.

I had the AR383 prior and it was also really good.

Friends have the Sunjoe SPX3000 and they all love it.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:00 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
My universe just expanded. A little.
Name:  1296734671657.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  4.5 KB
Old 04-29-2016, 09:44 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 520 Posts

This was one of the best things I bought for cleaning the car:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003CU...pf_rd_i=mobile

Had the high impact areas covered with Xpel Ultimate and the rest of the car done in Gyeon Q2 MOHS+. I do the wheels with Sonax, then foam cannon and pressure washer get the car clean and then I use the master blaster to dry. Wipe down with a little bit of Gyeon Cure and she's stunning.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:00 PM
MrNurse
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
I use the waterless spray wash from Griots. It works fairly well as long as the car isn't all that dirty. Plus a detail every eight weeks or so.
So I kept hearing of this "waterless spray wash" and had no idea what it was. For some reason I thought it was something crazy that you would need a house for. It turns out that it's the opposite as I just looked it up.
I live in an apartment in Manhattan so I don't have access to a hose which has always been a problem for me. I would wash my car at a self wash before work by my job about 30mins away.
I'm going to be looking up videos of this wonderful waterless car wash tonight.

Originally Posted by user1029
I had lunch with extanker and I took a picture of his car

Old 04-29-2016, 10:09 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,514 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
Can you waterless guys give me some product/process recommendations? I'd like to try it. In my county I think technically you can still get fined for washing the car because of the drought. And I like the idea of having my garage door shut so the 16 year old kid in my neighborhood won't come over ask me if I've ever raced a bugatti, and to tell me how fast bugattis are.
I use optimum wash wax and also meguiars. Both are great. Griots is always reliable. There are many others. They key is having super plush microfiber cloth. Spare no expense on that. It really works. I have a basket full of cloth -I'll fold them into quarters and change sides frequently. I'll go through several to clean the car.

Originally Posted by MrNurse
So I kept hearing of this "waterless spray wash" and had no idea what it was. For some reason I thought it was something crazy that you would need a house for. It turns out that it's the opposite as I just looked it up.
I live in an apartment in Manhattan so I don't have access to a hose which has always been a problem for me. I would wash my car at a self wash before work by my job about 30mins away.
I'm going to be looking up videos of this wonderful waterless car wash tonight.

Yeah - waterless is just the ticket for you. No doubt. I'll still do a traditional wash if the car is very dirty but for most cases, I prefer waterless.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:09 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

This combination of a thermos bottle sized but powerful sweeper and an attachment assortment with micro-sized tools is one of the best things I've discovered after way too many years of detailing my car interiors. There's a 12v and 110v version of the sweeper. For scale, the white hose you see is about 5/8" OD.

Amazon.com: Metro Vacuum VM6BS500 Professional 120V, 500-Watt High Performance Hand Vacuum, Stainless Steel: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Metro Vacuum VM6BS500 Professional 120V, 500-Watt High Performance Hand Vacuum, Stainless Steel: Home Improvement
Amazon.com: Micro Vacuum Attachment Kit - 7 Piece: Home & Kitchen Amazon.com: Micro Vacuum Attachment Kit - 7 Piece: Home & Kitchen
Attached Images   
Old 04-29-2016, 11:42 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 102 Posts

I drive less than a mile to a touchless drive thru car wash. $8.00 and I get a super foam canon, lots of rinses including wheels and underbody, a spotless rinse then a good blow dry. What water is left takes 2 minutes with a Griots waffle drying towel. It's covered completely with Xpel so I'm not worried about micro scratches and swirls. Couldn't be easier, takes less time then getting everything out and winding the hose back up at home. After that I do wax it myself, P21S- like rubbing oil on a model
Old 04-29-2016, 11:52 PM
Joemat
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I still believe that you need to "feed the paint" with quality carnuba wax for long term luster. Do PPF and Ceramc Coatings prevent one from nourishing the underlying paint?? Not sure. I have my E92 M3 partially covered with a clear bra and my incoming GT4 scheduled to have XPEL applied. I often wonder if I will see a difference in covered vs. uncovered sections over 5-10 years
Old 04-30-2016, 01:56 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joemat
I still believe that you need to "feed the paint" with quality carnuba wax for long term luster. Do PPF and Ceramc Coatings prevent one from nourishing the underlying paint?? Not sure. I have my E92 M3 partially covered with a clear bra and my incoming GT4 scheduled to have XPEL applied. I often wonder if I will see a difference in covered vs. uncovered sections over 5-10 years
With good overall exterior care of your car, PPF full or partial, you will not see any noticeable differences unless the PPF gets lots of road rash. Just wax and apply detail spray to the PPF just like you do the paint. Don't use any abrasive cleaners or abrasive polish on PPF just to be safe. I assume you are referring to Xpel Ultimate or Suntek clear PPF. Not sure how other PPF films will hold up.

From my PPF installer's website (Invisibra.net):
Wax the film as you would the paint. Detail sprays and sealants will not affect the film. Hard coatings are not recommended by the makers of the film (but many people have done it with no concerns). Clay bar should be done as with a soft clear coat, allowing the film to cool in the shade first. Edges, if there are any, can be cleaned with rubbing alcohol and a natural bristled brush.

He uses 3M, Xpel Ultimate, Suntek, and Llumar, but prefers Suntek if you have no preference.

Last edited by okie981; 04-30-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:04 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
With good overall exterior care of your car, PPF full or partial, you will not see any noticeable differences unless the PPF gets lots of road rash. Just wax and apply detail spray to the PPF just like you do the paint. Don't use any abrasive cleaners or abrasive polish on PPF just to be safe. I assume you are referring to Xpel Ultimate or Suntek clear PPF. Not sure how other PPF films will hold up.
3M pro series is the best film on the market
IMHO
Sorry but I had to say it
Regards
Ed
Old 04-30-2016, 02:30 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
3M pro series is the best film on the market
IMHO
Sorry but I had to say it
Regards
Ed
I'm open to trying anything that comes with a real world recommendation

My installer will use 3M, Xpel Ultimate, Suntek and Llumar, but prefers Suntek. I scrutinized XU and Suntek side by side, and if the only factors of concern are looking most like your original paint, between those two products, I can confirm that Suntek wins. He had 3M and Llumar but didn't pull them out for a comparison. Guess I should have done that, when I'm in there in July to have my GT4 covered, I'll look into the 3M product he has.

Invisibra.net, Brian is the owner and does all installations. A lot of shops are using hired help to do the installs. I like working directly with the owner due to the excellent reputation an owner will work to maintain.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:52 PM
GT4Tony
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove my car in the rain today. It's cleaner.

Quick Reply: How do you wash your cars?