Sponsored by: APR

who runs R7 on GT4

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 08:26 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 85 Posts

I just tried the Hoosier R7 on my GT4.
I have 265/35/19 on 9" wide up front and 295/30/19 on 11" rears.
I am running -2.75 front camber and -2.3 in the rear.
1mm toe out per side up front and 1.5-2mm toe in per side in the rear.
I need to get the adjustable caster bushings from Tarret because I do have the fronts rubbing a little but just on the front of the fenders. So adjusting the caster will fix that issue I am sure.
I was running the tires at about 40psi hot.
Front sway bar in the middle and the rear at full stiff.
Car is stupid fast. It shouldn't be this fast. The car is very neutral and overall I think very stable.
The Hoosiers are worth 2-3 seconds at VIR.
I was running 2:06's and 2:07's with a couple high 2:05's last fall on the Sport Cup 2.
Yesterday at VIR I was running consistent 2:04's-2:05's depending on traffic and it felt relatively easy to do on these tires. I had a handful of 2:03's.
I had a best of 2:03.1. I am confident I can get in the 2:02's.

I am not sure why everyone thinks they need stiffer springs. Either I am just clueless as to what the car is doing or I am not driving hard enough.
The tires are not chewed up on the outer edges either. I only did about 2 hours of track time in about 4 or 5 sessions though so maybe another 4-5 sessions will show the kind of wear that some of you guys are saying?

I don't doubt that many of you guys have better knowledge as to set up and what not so I am not saying anyone is wrong here. I just know that I am happy with the way the car handles as I have it now. The caster is the only adjustment I will do at this point so that I dont have the tires rubbing.
I would love to run with some of the guys who go to VIR and we can compare notes and such.
If anyone can best my times and can show me set up is the reason - and not just that you are a better driver than I am - I will consider changing something accordingly.

I am going to try and get a camera set up in my car next time also.

mooty, let me know how things work for you when you try the r7's out and what set up you end up being happy with.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:13 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
I need to get the adjustable caster bushings from Tarret because I do have the fronts rubbing a little but just on the front of the fenders. So adjusting the caster will fix that issue I am sure.
Car is stupid fast. It shouldn't be this fast. The car is very neutral and overall I think very stable.
I was running 2:06's and 2:07's with a couple high 2:05's last fall on the Sport Cup 2.
Yesterday at VIR I was running consistent 2:04's-2:05's depending on traffic and it felt relatively easy to do on these tires. I had a handful of 2:03's.

I am not sure why everyone thinks they need stiffer springs. Either I am just clueless as to what the car is doing or I am not driving hard enough.
The tires are not chewed up on the outer edges either. I only did about 2 hours of track time in about 4 or 5 sessions though so maybe another 4-5 sessions will show the kind of wear that some of you guys are saying?

I don't doubt that many of you guys have better knowledge as to set up and what not so I am not saying anyone is wrong here. I just know that I am happy with the way the car handles as I have it now. The caster is the only adjustment I will do at this point so that I dont have the tires rubbing.
I would love to run with some of the guys who go to VIR and we can compare notes and such.
If anyone can best my times and can show me set up is the reason - and not just that you are a better driver than I am - I will consider changing something accordingly.

mooty, let me know how things work for you when you try the r7's out and what set up you end up being happy with.
Nice Report! If you don't mind disclosing, what offsets did you go with for the 9 and 11 wheels - I'd appreciate any info? I am in the midst of potentially pulling the trigger on the same setup, but still a bit unsure about what exact offsets to go with, especially the front.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:26 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Nice Report! If you don't mind disclosing, what offsets did you go with for the 9 and 11 wheels - I'd appreciate any info? I am in the midst of potentially pulling the trigger on the same setup, but still a bit unsure about what exact offsets to go with, especially the front.
I thought you were going to ping me
Old 04-07-2016, 10:47 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I thought you were going to ping me
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"... I thought you were going to ping me. LOL! Anyway, PM'd you.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:53 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

GT3 Nut-- Great report! I’ve been eager to read a report from someone driving an east coast track that I’m familiar with. Based on your lap times it’s clear you are a skilled driver. With your setup and running R7’s I think you’re getting close to the best lap times a merely mortal driver will see. Do you have any data you’d care to share? I'd love to see your speed trace.

As to your comment about stiffer springs, VIR is not the type of track where I’d expect the GT4 to feel like it is sprung too softly. It’s a track with a lot of high speed sections and many corners that “flow” smoothly from one to the next. It’s not a tight or twisty track where you feel like you are tossing the car left and right and relying heavily on the springs to manage weight transfer. The only corner like that is #4, the left hander.

I think tracks like VIR and Watkins Glen are ones where the GT4 will really shine. Knowing how close the lap times are between those two tracks I would guess you could manage close to a 2:00 lap at the Glen. That is FAST!
Old 04-08-2016, 12:52 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myBailey07
I don't know right off. I will try to check and find out. I just got what Forgeline had for the car.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:59 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
GT3 Nut-- Great report! I’ve been eager to read a report from someone driving an east coast track that I’m familiar with. Based on your lap times it’s clear you are a skilled driver. With your setup and running R7’s I think you’re getting close to the best lap times a merely mortal driver will see. Do you have any data you’d care to share? I'd love to see your speed trace.

As to your comment about stiffer springs, VIR is not the type of track where I’d expect the GT4 to feel like it is sprung too softly. It’s a track with a lot of high speed sections and many corners that “flow” smoothly from one to the next. It’s not a tight or twisty track where you feel like you are tossing the car left and right and relying heavily on the springs to manage weight transfer. The only corner like that is #4, the left hander.

I think tracks like VIR and Watkins Glen are ones where the GT4 will really shine. Knowing how close the lap times are between those two tracks I would guess you could manage close to a 2:00 lap at the Glen. That is FAST!

Thanks for the compliment.
I am trying to figure out how to get any data from the AIM solo and even read it. If I can figure that out I would be happy to share it.

That makes sense about VIR compared to a tight twisty track as far as the springs. I agree about turn 4. But also "hog pen" which is turn 17 if I remember right, has a lot of compression going on. And "oak tree" turn is tight as well.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:09 PM
Jgarvish
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In case it's helpful, my Forgeline GA1Rs on my GT4 are ET50 front and ET47 rear.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:12 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 134 Posts

GT3 Nut, Looks like a great lap time. I'd love to see the data. Maybe Peter Krause can help.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:03 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
GT3 Nut, Looks like a great lap time. I'd love to see the data. Maybe Peter Krause can help.
I cant figure out how to post the data any better than doing a screen shot of 2 laps overlaid. One is from this past week on the Hoosiers at 2:03.1 and the other is from last fall in October on Sport Cup 2 at 2:06.0
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2016, 02:50 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks for the data. I compared it with my last event at VIR. I had a 987.1 Cayman with a stock engine and a pretty well developed suspension. Your Hoosier run was 17 mph faster then me at the brake zone for Roller Coaster and your LonAcc is amazing. I found it interesting that your max Lat Acc occurs in 14a and 16. Mine occurs in 3 and 5a. I don't have a lot of track time at VIR but knew there was a lot left in Roller Coaster and Hog Pen. You can change the colors of your trace in the measures graph to make it a little easier to distinguish between the runs.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:05 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

I was messing around with the AIM software and trying to compare some of the faster laps with the Sport Cup 2 overlaid with one another and I think that a 2:05.4 would probably be about the best I can do on the Sport Cup 2's and about a 2:02.7 with the Hoosiers at VIR based on the data I was looking at. Of course there are many variables and honestly I am not good at fully understanding the data.

But I still stand by the estimate that the Hoosiers are worth 2.5-3 seconds over the Sport Cup 2's based on my data. In my opinion, if you have a way of transporting the car in a trailer or transporting the extra wheels and changing them at the track, its worth using the Hoosiers. The Hoosiers are cheaper than a set of Cup 2's, so depending on how long each set of tires last in comparison with one another (which I have not determined myself yet), it may be cheaper in the long run to use Hoosiers if you get enough life out of them to offset the cost of an additional set of wheels.
And lets be honest, going faster is more fun....as long as you are learning the real limits of the car on each respective set of tires and not using better tires to mask driving skill limitations.

Based on what I gather from the data comparing my laps on equal tires, I can gain some time in Turn 1, Turn 4, Oak Tree turn, and likely in Turn 10 based solely on my data. I am talking about 10ths though so overall that's why I estimated my best times to be what I stated above - not a matter of seconds better.

I would love to have some data from other drivers in a GT4 to overlay on mine to see where I can improve in comparison with others. Anyone have any data for VIR they want to exchange - either on Sport Cup 2's or Hoosiers? Even data from a GT3 would be an interesting comparison.

One other thing I am wondering is how accurate the data is on the lateral and longitudinal(?) g force readings since the AIM Solo is stand alone and isn't connected to the car by any cables.
The GPS speed data is pretty accurate from what I am told, but no one has ever commented on the other readings.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:12 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Thanks for the data. I compared it with my last event at VIR. I had a 987.1 Cayman with a stock engine and a pretty well developed suspension. Your Hoosier run was 17 mph faster then me at the brake zone for Roller Coaster and your LonAcc is amazing. I found it interesting that your max Lat Acc occurs in 14a and 16. Mine occurs in 3 and 5a. I don't have a lot of track time at VIR but knew there was a lot left in Roller Coaster and Hog Pen. You can change the colors of your trace in the measures graph to make it a little easier to distinguish between the runs.
Interesting comparison.
I usually gain a lot of time in comparison with others in the brake zone for Roller Coaster - at least when I was racing in the past that was what I found.
But I found that through Roller Coaster and Hog Pen, many leave time on the table as well. You can carry a lot of speed there - more than many realize - assuming the car is capable of it.

I started to change colors as you mentioned of the runs on the data.
I can waste a lot of time just trying to compare a few laps - but it is very interesting. I would like to be able to improve but honestly the most fun for me is just driving - not worrying about every tenth. If I was still racing than I would likely feel otherwise.

Hope to see you out there sometime at VIR.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:25 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Interesting comparison.
I usually gain a lot of time in comparison with others in the brake zone for Roller Coaster - at least when I was racing in the past that was what I found.
But I found that through Roller Coaster and Hog Pen, many leave time on the table as well. You can carry a lot of speed there - more than many realize - assuming the car is capable of it.

I started to change colors as you mentioned of the runs on the data.
I can waste a lot of time just trying to compare a few laps - but it is very interesting. I would like to be able to improve but honestly the most fun for me is just driving - not worrying about every tenth. If I was still racing than I would likely feel otherwise.

Hope to see you out there sometime at VIR.
I feel the same way, and I do not turn on the laptimer during most sessions. Nevertheless, thanks for the informative posts, and graphs.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:11 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

What was your caster without the Tarret adjustable bushings?

Quick Reply: who runs R7 on GT4