Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Smoked Shake 'N Bake at COTA yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 02:34 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Agree that is a safe passing area. Hard to tell from the video excerp how close the cars are or were prior to that. If Texas RS was riding him through the Ss prior to that Quickag should've given the point by where you said instead of doing that double offline pre and post 11.

360 awareness should be honed regardless of the hp of the car. Its a basic safety concept in a DE. Due to the placement of the rear wing in the GT4, and the visibility limits imparted by it, it makes it even more imperative to hone that skill.
Oh, I didn't mean it was an excuse. Awareness is a prerequisite the moment you spill CO2 on a track surface.

But, like Chris rock said - "So you gotta look at OJ's situation. He's paying $25,000 a month in alimony, got another man driving around in his car and ****ing his wife in a house he's still paying the mortgage on. Now I'm not saying he should have killed her... but I understand."
Old 07-31-2016, 12:45 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Dive bomb may have been too strong of a word, but he caught me quickly so I went off line after 10 expecting him to blow by and he just parked off my 4 o'clock. There is no other reason I would have gone offline like that. Half that group wasn't doing points it seemed so I just figured he'd go by. So after I hugged the inside curb through 11, I again got out of the way to let him pass.

I saw him well in advance, so not sure about this talk of 360 awareness, being flustered, or whatever. That was not an issue.

Last edited by Quikag; 07-31-2016 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 817 Posts

Was this an event where point bys were mandatory to pass ?
Old 07-31-2016, 04:05 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Never been to an edge addict event. Not sure how they handle their events.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:47 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Never been to an edge addict event. Not sure how they handle their events.
Oh it was EA? Then yeah, point by is MANDATORY
Old 07-31-2016, 04:56 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Well, I didn't point on the back straight and everyone still passed. Whether it's mandatory or not, a lot of guys were taking obvious cues in our run group to get by safely and efficiently without points every time. I guess our run group was a bunch of rebels. Don't tell Karen.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quikag
Well, I didn't point on the back straight and everyone still passed. Whether it's mandatory or not, a lot of guys were taking obvious cues in our run group to get by safely and efficiently without points every time. I guess our run group was a bunch of rebels. Don't tell Karen.
Quikag, this is NOT directed at you personally, because others share this viewpoint. But this mindset is ****.

It's like a kid whining "but the other kids are doing it too!". Utter BS. And ruins it for everyone.

If folks want to pass without a point-by, either seek out groups that allow this (there are a couple) or GO RACING. But the entitlement mindset that says "well I'll just go by because I want to" regardless of the rules of the event are the height of self-absorbed arrogance. And one day, there will be a bad accident because some dumbass passed w/o a point-by...and lawsuits will fly...and open passing events (even ones requiring a point by like EA) will cease to exist.

Follow the rules of the event or go race. There is no in between.

I coach a lot of EA events, and do their midday track walks when I am able. It's a lot of fun...but the passing w/o point bys is unacceptable.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:57 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
Dive bomb may have been too strong of a word, but he caught me quickly so I went off line after 10 expecting him to blow by and he just parked off my 4 o'clock. There is no other reason I would have gone offline like that. Half that group wasn't doing points it seemed so I just figured he'd go by. So after I hugged the inside curb through 11, I again got out of the way to let him pass.

I saw him well in advance, so not sure about this talk of 360 awareness, being flustered, or whatever. That was not an issue.
The general consensus is that the car being passed stays on line and the car doing the passing will go offline. In that turn, with your double offline - pre and post, you slowed everybody down needlessly (including yourself). IMHO your explanation sounds like you thought you did the correct thing. But in reality you achieved the opposite by forcing the other drivers to readjust, reevaluate the pass.

The passing rule exists for a purpose. It allows to build confidence, in drivers that don't know each other, that they have been taught properly and meet expectations of safety.

Quick Reply: Smoked Shake 'N Bake at COTA yesterday....