Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Smoked Shake 'N Bake at COTA yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 11:56 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Great seeing ElectronMike, Quikag, and Katmeho out there this weekend (probably forgetting a few others I met...). There were a lot of GT4s and a dozen or so Clubsports. It was fun watching the front runners in the Pirelli Trophy series GT4 class beating up on many of the GT3 Cup guys. There was about 10 seconds between the fastest drivers in the GT3 Cup and the Clubsport.
The race director said that at CotA the Clubsport at CotA is only 7 seconds off the 991 Cup's pace, and he just like you found that very impressive considering that the Clubsport isn't anywhere near as race-prepped as a Cup car. I got to talk to them in race control over the weekend because Karen picked me to be the pace car for the races, which was essentially parade laps with a pretty awesome view in my rear mirror followed by a boring stint of sitting in my car in the pits on-call in case they needed me during the race, which they didn't.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:59 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by bhk1004
What alignment are you running?
-1.5 front and -1.2 rear. Way too little. Needs at least -2.5 and -2. Going to get that fixed soon as I trashed my Dunlops the car came with in two track days and 4,400 miles of around town. inside edges had quite a bit more tread than outer edges. I don't want the same thing to happen on my new $$$ sport cup 2's I had to buy from the dealership last minute. Ouch.

Originally Posted by ccibo72
Thanks for sharing the vids. In the spin, did you come off throttle? Can't really tell. Having driven COTA the video doesn't really capture the degree of camber (off) and elevation change right at that point.
I didn't come off throttle until I was gone. I know enough not to lift mid-corner. There is a little bit of off camber and a little elevation change so you need to be somewhat careful. I was surprised with how quickly it went though with basically no warning. I'm not the best driver, but I can catch most oversteer situations pretty easily. This one went very fast.

Originally Posted by myBailey07
What gear were you in for the turn? I could not clearly see on vid, but it looks like 2nd. If so, try 3rd in that turn. Car is much more stable in third and throttle less sensitive over that crest in third and you have enough speed to carry through. You can be on power 100% in third there while second might give you trouble. Dave Scott really helped me on the gearing and getting on throttle much sooner there, but had to be in third.

Just something to try...good driving as always.

As far as ShakeNBake goes, don't worry, he's "cheating" on those massive hoosiers of his. In my mind they are worth at least 10 seconds a lap...
2nd gear and I agree 100% 3rd gear is the one to be in. I was driving a little harder due to that C7 Z06 coming up behind me, so I went to 2nd. Stupid me. I need Dave Scott to give me some pointers too.

Originally Posted by jpgunn
What are/were your tire pressures at hot?
Sport Cup 2's seem to work best in the 35-37psi hot range. First session they ballooned up to 44 front and 46 rear because I started at 29/33 cold. Not good. Car felt very loose.

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Driving looked pretty good to me, haha, but I'm still a track n00b, so what do I know.

Was that the unmolested factory exhaust, Quikag? Man that was loud.
Stock exhaust, but I put the microphone right next to exhaust tips so it screams pretty good.

Great meeting everyone out there as well! It was GT4 and GT4 Clubsport day out there all around. A lot of fun for sure.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:29 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
The race director said that at CotA the Clubsport at CotA is only 7 seconds off the 991 Cup's pace, and he just like you found that very impressive considering that the Clubsport isn't anywhere near as race-prepped as a Cup car. I got to talk to them in race control over the weekend because Karen picked me to be the pace car for the races, which was essentially parade laps with a pretty awesome view in my rear mirror followed by a boring stint of sitting in my car in the pits on-call in case they needed me during the race, which they didn't.
Pace car is big shoes to fill, those guys behind you want to go as fast as possible to keep their tires warm....glad you got a thrill to be leading a field of Porsche race cars, doesn't happen every day!
Old 03-14-2016, 02:12 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Pace car is big shoes to fill, those guys behind you want to go as fast as possible to keep their tires warm....glad you got a thrill to be leading a field of Porsche race cars, doesn't happen every day!
Yeah, it was pretty wild. The first day one of the lead cars was swerving really wildly down the back straight, much more than the others. He was crossing about half the width of the track at very steep angles and fairly quick speeds. I guess that's one way to go faster when the pace car is limiting you, and wow those slicks allowed some quick changes of direction during those weaves! And on the second day I got a few cars charging me right up to my rear bumper a few times to get some speed. I actually had a radio to race control telling me how fast they wanted me to go, though. The first day one of the later cars in the grid stalled leaving the pits and the car behind him didn't think he could go ahead, which meant the grid wasn't stacked up properly by the end of the out lap, so the race director sent me around again. They told me I was at something like T13 by the time the last car got out of the pits on that first lap. On the second day, the race director told me to start down the T1 hill around 40, then in T6 told me to take it up to 70 until I got onto the back straight, and from that point on they held me to 35-40 so the grid would stay together. It was definitely fun though!
Old 03-14-2016, 03:37 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 277 Posts

Nice seeing you guys out there! That is me in the M3 at 13:30 in the first vid. My arm is sore from giving point bys and I'm deaf from the Viper passing me on Sat and the F1 car passing me on Sun. Great weekend!

Next time, back out in the GT4.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:06 PM
Mr. F1 Fan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like tons of fun and overall a manly piece of driving. Glad you didn't injure the car. That has a way of deflating things fast.

Great comments and tutoring for everyone here. I can't wait to make a trip to COTA.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:48 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome video. It looked like loads of fun. Plus with the microphone next to the exhaust I felt like I was riding in the engine bay. Lol. I thought I saw an Aim Solo in your window. If it's a DL you should be able to find out if you lifted mid turn (referring to the spin)from the data.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:57 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. So great to get out to COTA and to play with the white group. The circuit is amazing and everyone should make the pilgrimage to experience it. Wonderful to meet a couple of the RL GT4 owners and awesome to get out with the BR Racing team. Im going to do my full write up (tire bubble, more rear bar adjustment, etc..) in my normal thread...but was happy to see the silly move I made in T20 up here!!!

Not sure how I deserve to be in this tweet...
Old 03-14-2016, 08:10 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 277 Posts

A little waggle from Katmeho (he wanted me to post it) - FF to 2:05 and watch T20.

Hey, I stayed in sight of you after the pass for at least 7 seconds. I think that is a new record.

Thanks for sharing the video.. Interesting you use 3rd from T12 to T15, and 4th from T16 to T18, I'll have to try that.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:40 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Wow were you guys pushing? I'm surprised seeing the GT4 look so loose. (Kat+Quik)

So far to me the GT4 has felt super stable on back roads. I don't dare turn off the TC. Coming from FWD+AWD cars, I know what I don't know when it comes to RWD.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:04 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by bk_911
Wow were you guys pushing? I'm surprised seeing the GT4 look so loose. (Kat+Quik)

So far to me the GT4 has felt super stable on back roads. I don't dare turn off the TC. Coming from FWD+AWD cars, I know what I don't know when it comes to RWD.
In my M3, I had a fair amount of push in general even after getting camber plates to achieve -2.5 in front. In the GT4 (with toe links and a -2.5/-2.0 camber setup alignment), that was completely eliminated except for some push in T6 and the carousel, though still much better than the M3. In BRNGT4's thread where he got feedback on his car from a pro GT3 Cup driver who said the car had no understeer, which didn't align with BRNGT4's impressions, it turned out that the fix for the understeer was to trail brake to the point of full rotation, which when BRNGT4 started doing that magically eliminated the understeer he had been feeling previously -- but trail braking doesn't come into play in T6 or the carousel. However, I'm not convinced I've adjusted my line in general sufficiently to fully optimize for the GT4 yet, so I'm reserving judgment on its dynamics pending further experimentation. It does indeed feel incredibly stable on twisty public roads, and as I mentioned earlier in this thread I felt no need to turn ESC or TC off even on track considering how much yaw it allowed before stepping in, so I see absolutely no reason to do so in public. I'd been driving RWD for a while before this car, so I was fine with that dynamic, but mid-engine is what's new to me and I was surprised at just how different it felt even on spirited drives, though granted the 700 fewer pounds compared to my M3 undoubtedly contributed as well.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:36 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911

After stiffening up the rear bar I still had a push in T7, T9 and T13 with -2.5 front. You can see from the video that my line into T13 is garbage though. I feel that my push is from poor over driving, worn tires and lack of neg camber.

You can't really feel the push at road speeds. Only on track.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:52 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by electron mike
Hey, I stayed in sight of you after the pass for at least 7 seconds. I think that is a new record.

Thanks for sharing the video.. Interesting you use 3rd from T12 to T15, and 4th from T16 to T18, I'll have to try that.
Once you get on some sticky shoes, you'll be right there.

You know, the short shifting is something I noticed while watching the first supercup race at F1 when the track opened. At first I was not understanding. The lead drivers were consistently upshifting twice in a row coming down the hill and entering 16. Turns out you can stay flat footed (well nearly if you ate your Wheaties that day) from 1 all the way to 4 if you do this. You can't do this in 3rd - because a) it's too much torque and engine brake to modulate, and b) you run out of revs and have to switch to 4th anyways while the car is laterally loaded, again - not good.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 817 Posts

It was a great weekend! By the way the 101 octane fuel does nothing but keep the cylinder heads cool and make sure everyone runs the same fuel .
Old 03-15-2016, 01:09 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
-- but trail braking doesn't come into play in T6 or the carousel.
If you aren't trail braking through the turns of the carousel, you're just not doing it right.

Quick Reply: Smoked Shake 'N Bake at COTA yesterday....