Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 12:06 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Stock upright with no spacer.

Stock upright with 7mm spacer but not enough lip to make me comfortable mounting a wheel. Ginormous 14mm hub centric spacer not shown but going on car ASAP. It's raining right now so I'm hiding in the garages.

It may even be a 15mm spacer but why make small changes when time is of the essence?!

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 12-05-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:59 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,633 Likes on 2,316 Posts

john, why didn't you put studs and nice yellow nuts on hub?
wouldn't that solve the issue?
i LOVE those studs you showed me.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:43 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mooty
john, why didn't you put studs and nice yellow nuts on hub? wouldn't that solve the issue? i LOVE those studs you showed me.
that's the next upgrade, trust me! Big spacer got rid of half the understeering by adding front grip without cheating and defeating rear grip!
Old 12-05-2015, 04:49 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

I know how you can improve rear grip...
Old 12-05-2015, 05:03 PM
BRNGT4
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
that's the next upgrade, trust me! Big spacer got rid of half the understeering by adding front grip without cheating and defeating rear grip!
Was it just the spacer or did you lower the front as well?
Old 12-05-2015, 05:05 PM
bhk1004
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm. That much space in the front, and I'm assuming you weren't rubbing, then it seems like it's time to talk about wider rims/tires upfront... like the 265 mpsc2.

Will wait on more info you have available when you get around to it.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:02 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 984 Likes on 366 Posts

Subscribed. Thanks for posting John. Looking forward to you guys kicking *** with the car.

Agree completely on HP. I think it will render the gearing "issue" moot.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:44 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Subscribed. Thanks for posting John. Looking forward to you guys kicking *** with the car. Agree completely on HP. I think it will render the gearing "issue" moot.
I was finally able to achieve a more neutral balance somewhat but it definitely improved more in faster corners where you can really generate the body roll. The bars will fix it in the slow corners but so will the camber because in hairpins you can't generate as much body roll. I want to achieve a good balance with the bars in the middle before I go to the camber but no tire rub up front. More negative camber up front would allow another few millimeters of spacer but I think a 15mm is big enough.

Matt is all done for the weekend as well as a few other Rennlisters who came out. All in, successful event; I'm think of maybe doing this quarterly as we visit a few tracks on the east coast this summer with my club racing customers.

Brakes are really good; tires are impressive for street rubber. More mechanical grip generating more corner speed in slow corners would make you want a shorter 2nd even less. At faster tracks like Elkhart or Willow Springs it would be definitely be an improvement but if you track places with slow corners you would prefer stock gearing.

I ditched my male 200 lb passengers and traded up for Aleks and it was worth + 2mph! See photo below!

P.S. I didn't drive the car with just the ride height change because i became obsessed with the bigger spacer. While not good for driveway clearance I think down another 2 turns in front (started with -3 turns front ride height) and maybe up 2 - 3 in the rear would probably get me where I want to be. Adding the camber after that will be like adding horsepower!
Old 12-05-2015, 11:05 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
john, why didn't you put studs and nice yellow nuts on hub?
wouldn't that solve the issue?
i LOVE those studs you showed me.
MSI in North Carolina? Love those!
So hopefully the 9" Forgeline fronts will do the same re. understeer...
Old 12-06-2015, 07:56 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Subscribed. Thanks for posting John. Looking forward to you guys kicking *** with the car. Agree completely on HP. I think it will render the gearing "issue" moot.
thanks bud, and thanks to the others for the positive feedback. If I can be honest, I do this stuff to demonstrate the passion we have to make this car better. You guys have supported us and I am giving back in the form of information. I'm also doing it though so that you guys will want to buy parts and services from us because we will not only sell you stuff for this car but we will tell you how to make it better and support our customers with R&D data. I'm here to sell and build a business but I like educating you guys because I remember a time when I used to buy stuff from people who couldn't tell me why it improved anything; they just wanted my VISA # and to know how much I wanted to spend!
Old 12-06-2015, 10:39 AM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ love it. There are plenty of companies out there today who still operate under this model. I'm looking forward to hearing more input as you hit more tracks on the east coast. I'm curious if you guys uncover anything else. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:17 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread! Thanks!
Old 12-07-2015, 08:32 AM
francis_william
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed. Nice thread.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:52 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I was finally able to achieve a more neutral balance somewhat but it definitely improved more in faster corners where you can really generate the body roll. The bars will fix it in the slow corners but so will the camber because in hairpins you can't generate as much body roll. I want to achieve a good balance with the bars in the middle before I go to the camber but no tire rub up front. More negative camber up front would allow another few millimeters of spacer but I think a 15mm is big enough.

Matt is all done for the weekend as well as a few other Rennlisters who came out. All in, successful event; I'm think of maybe doing this quarterly as we visit a few tracks on the east coast this summer with my club racing customers.

Brakes are really good; tires are impressive for street rubber. More mechanical grip generating more corner speed in slow corners would make you want a shorter 2nd even less. At faster tracks like Elkhart or Willow Springs it would be definitely be an improvement but if you track places with slow corners you would prefer stock gearing.

P.S. I didn't drive the car with just the ride height change because i became obsessed with the bigger spacer. While not good for driveway clearance I think down another 2 turns in front (started with -3 turns front ride height) and maybe up 2 - 3 in the rear would probably get me where I want to be. Adding the camber after that will be like adding horsepower!
I like your approach a lot.
Really step by step and let the owner understand the impact of each change.

I need someone like you and your workshop in Germany
Old 12-07-2015, 09:10 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FelisMalicious
I need someone like you and your workshop in Germany

Well, you do have Manthey Racing

Quick Reply: Cayman GT4 Track Blog